Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I need a simple database programme for my DVD collection

I need a simple database programme for my DVD collection

GraB

I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???

I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
would have worked.

Is there anything else that would be suitable, that could list by
alphabetical order then by genre, etc?

Malcolm

GraB wrote:

> I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
> use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
> with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
> whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
>
> I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
> column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
> truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
> would have worked.
>
> Is there anything else that would be suitable, that could list by
> alphabetical order then by genre, etc?

Hi
What about this, Movies Collector version 1.8.4 it's freeware?

http://www.tucows.com/preview/380487

--
Cheers
Malcolm °¿°

bambam

GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
> use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
> with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
> whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
>
> I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
> column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
> truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
> would have worked.
>
> Is there anything else that would be suitable, that could list by
> alphabetical order then by genre, etc?

Here is another one to look at-

http://www.antp.be/software/moviecatalog/

GraB

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:51:30 -0600, Malcolm
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GraB wrote:
>
>> I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
>> use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
>> with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
>> whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
>>
>> I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
>> column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
>> truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
>> would have worked.
>>
>> Is there anything else that would be suitable, that could list by
>> alphabetical order then by genre, etc?

>Hi
>What about this, Movies Collector version 1.8.4 it's freeware?
>
>http://www.tucows.com/preview/380487

Thanks for that. Looks good, will try it.

I found ClarisWorks 5 amongst my CDs and the database in that is
certainly better (FileMaker Pro 3, I believe), with adjustable columns
in column view, unlike CW3.

news.xtra.co.nz

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
> use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
> with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
> whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
>
> I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
> column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
> truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
> would have worked.
>
> Is there anything else that would be suitable, that could list by
> alphabetical order then by genre, etc?

you have too much time

Craig Shore

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:02:38 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
>use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
>with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
>whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
>
>I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
>column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
>truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
>would have worked.
>
>Is there anything else that would be suitable, that could list by
>alphabetical order then by genre, etc?

If you want a proper database, which will involve a lot of learning, there was a
free offer in PC User in the Dec issue. It came on the cover disc, it was Alpha
5. You email the company requesting a licence (it's not automated, wait for a
human to answer), then you can activate up to two copies of the software.

The software off the disc is 17mb. I can upload that to you if you wish.

Here's the instructions for getting a licence from the PC User www site.
The email address i've removed is marketing.

Alpha Five 5 Home Edition
To register the full version of Alpha Five 5 Home Edition, email
<snip>@alphasoftware.com with the words PC USER in the subject line. You will
then be sent a registration key, which will allow you to unlock the full version
of the program. When you install Alpha Five, enter the registration key when
prompted. You must register the software by June 6, 2006.

Please note that the registration keys are being sent manually and the
registration keys will be sent within a week of your original email being sent
to the <snip>@alphasoftware.com email address. Please do not attempt to register
more than once. The Alpha Five 5 Home Edition program on the disc is a 30-day
trial so you can continue using the software for that time period before you
need to enter a registration key. We appreciate your patience. Please email
<snip>@acpmagazines.com.au if you have not received your registration key before
your 30-trial has ended.

Steve

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:02:38 +1300, GraB wrote:

> I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
> use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
> with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
> whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???

An unrelated suggestion... Openoffice is now at 2.0.1. The beta's like
the one that you are using used to change file format so often that you
could crash it by upgrading. With the release of 2.0 this stopped
happening, and I really recommend that you upgrade.

$0.02,

Steve

Gordon

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:02:38 +1300, GraB wrote:

> I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
> use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
> with that one,

a) Databases are hard to get to grips with cf say spreadsheets or word
processing.

b) OOo 2 has been out for some time now. 1.9.118 was nothing more than a
beta of version 2. Suggest you install V2. ( It is free afterall )

the null error, make sure the field is allowed to be null if this is going
to the case for some records.

Yes, that is the other thing about Databases, you need to *plan* them.

GraB

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:41:00 +1300, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:02:38 +1300, GraB wrote:
>
>> I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
>> use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
>> with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
>> whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
>>

>An unrelated suggestion... Openoffice is now at 2.0.1. The beta's like
>the one that you are using used to change file format so often that you
>could crash it by upgrading. With the release of 2.0 this stopped
>happening, and I really recommend that you upgrade.
>
>$0.02,
>
>Steve

Given that I have WordPerfect 8 too and I don't need much in a word
processor it is not urgent that I update to the latest OOo. I will do
sometime.

I had a look at the Movie Collector programme someone suggested. It
works well, especially where you have movies on the hard drive where
it can get the details from the file, but it won't maximize unless in
extended mode and then you can't change the listing to sort by genre
or title or something else. The sort order seems to be fixed.

The Movie Catalogue programme also suggested works well too but is for
the more serious collector with much more info about movies than I
need.

I used to use ClarisWorks 1 and 3 and remembered that I have version 5
on a disc somewhere so I hunted it down and installed it. The
database in that seems quite adequate for my purposes. I made a
database with Title, Genre, Year, Actors, Notes, fields - quite
simple, and that does the job though I will have to enter most of the
titles manually.

Craig Shore

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:02:38 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
>use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
>with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
>whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
>
>I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
>column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
>truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
>would have worked.
>
>Is there anything else that would be suitable, that could list by
>alphabetical order then by genre, etc?

What about using a spreadsheet in Open Office?