Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Paradise.net still reducing newsgroup choices.

Paradise.net still reducing newsgroup choices.

RayC

As stated in mid November i was surprised that on my return from 3 weeks
overseas that Paradise had not included any additional news groups when i
checked the ones i subscribe to.

Teranews and Easynews added about 200 when i checked them as
a comparison.

As at posting this on the 22/1/06 Paradise have still not added one new
additional group for 5 weeks, in fact they continue to chip away and reduce
the choices each week.

I estimate in the last 5 weeks Teranews and Easynews had posted
about 500-600 new choices available for subscription on subjects that
must be of interest to the ISP members.

As previously stated Paradise can put all these new choices on group
download,so that only ones of interest are brought into their system.If
the reading of any group ceases then the group refresh can also cease.

Not to do so is to be deceptive--implying nothing is new when there
are so many additional choices. IT is also censorship.

Removing group services without telling subscribers is even a worse business
practice and should be widely publicised to Paradise
subscribers(clear.net also if the same News server is used)

And i cannot contact the Paradise person responsible to ask why,despite
numerous phone calls and emails to all posted Paradise addresses.

Whence posting here.

http://mail.spaminspector.com

Nicholas Sherlock

RayC wrote:
> As at posting this on the 22/1/06 Paradise have still not added one new
> additional group for 5 weeks, in fact they continue to chip away and reduce
> the choices each week.

Are you sure that you are refreshing the list correctly in your news reader?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Don Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "RayC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|Removing group services without telling subscribers is even a worse business
|practice and should be widely publicised to Paradise
|subscribers(clear.net also if the same News server is used)

It is the same news server. Some time last year Paradise discontinued their
(good) news sever and pointed to Clear's (not so good) server. One of the
groups I regularly followed on Paradise's server was not on the Clear
server. I finally managed to get a group add request through to the people
maintaining the Clear server. It was refused, they said they were already
maxed out on their feed from the upstream server. It was one of the comp.*
groups too, not a fringe interest alt.* group.

|And i cannot contact the Paradise person responsible to ask why,despite
|numerous phone calls and emails to all posted Paradise addresses.

They'll be hiding from you for certain, they likely have orders from above
to run down the NNTP service because relatively few people use it and it's
unprofitable for them. You need to raise a help desk call and specifically
ask to have it forwarded to the administrator for the Clear news server.
Don't just whinge about the general dropping of groups. Pick a popular,
high-volume group in the comp.*, rec.*, sci.* etc hierarchies that they have
dropped and enguire about it specifically.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

RayC

Not that silly, if you read my post teranews and Easynews have
new choices each log-in, Paradise never offers that info.

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dqum9e$pg0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> RayC wrote:
>> As at posting this on the 22/1/06 Paradise have still not added one new
>> additional group for 5 weeks, in fact they continue to chip away and
>> reduce the choices each week.

> Are you sure that you are refreshing the list correctly in your news
> reader?
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

RayC

One help desk operator with an Indian or Pakistani accent asked
me to explain what the Newsmaster does on the help line.

It got worse after that. He would not even give me the Auckland
09-xxxxxxx number to ring direct.

"Don Hills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "RayC" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> |
> |Removing group services without telling subscribers is even a worse
> business
> |practice and should be widely publicised to Paradise
> |subscribers(clear.net also if the same News server is used)
>
> It is the same news server. Some time last year Paradise discontinued
> their
> (good) news sever and pointed to Clear's (not so good) server. One of the
> groups I regularly followed on Paradise's server was not on the Clear
> server. I finally managed to get a group add request through to the people
> maintaining the Clear server. It was refused, they said they were already
> maxed out on their feed from the upstream server. It was one of the comp.*
> groups too, not a fringe interest alt.* group.
>
> |And i cannot contact the Paradise person responsible to ask why,despite
> |numerous phone calls and emails to all posted Paradise addresses.
>
> They'll be hiding from you for certain, they likely have orders from above
> to run down the NNTP service because relatively few people use it and it's
> unprofitable for them. You need to raise a help desk call and specifically
> ask to have it forwarded to the administrator for the Clear news server.
> Don't just whinge about the general dropping of groups. Pick a popular,
> high-volume group in the comp.*, rec.*, sci.* etc hierarchies that they
> have
> dropped and enguire about it specifically.
>
> --
> Don Hills (dmhills at attglobaldotnet) Wellington, New Zealand
> "New interface closely resembles Presentation Manager,
> preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
> -- Advertisement on the box for Microsoft Windows 2.11 for 286

E. Scrooge

"RayC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> One help desk operator with an Indian or Pakistani accent asked
> me to explain what the Newsmaster does on the help line.
>
> It got worse after that. He would not even give me the Auckland
> 09-xxxxxxx number to ring direct.

It's just ihug all over again for you. Go and **** Xtra off for a change.

E. Scrooge

steve

RayC wrote:

> And i cannot contact the Paradise person responsible to ask why,despite
> numerous phone calls and emails to all posted**Paradise*addresses.

Have you logged a Help Desk call?

It's only fair to go through the correct support procedures and give them a
chance to respond.

Paradise.net's response rate can be very good (same day) or very poor (3
weeks or never)....in my experience.

They are owned by TelstraClearand have been for some time.......so the
founding impetus that made paradise.net "good" is by now well and truly
dissipated.

So if they are cutting service elements you're interrested in it will be
because the money/time/resource they save is greater than the potential
loss of a small number of customers.

steve

RayC wrote:

> One help desk operator with an Indian or Pakistani accent asked
> me to explain what the Newsmaster does on the help line.

Ah....quality support from a Telstra subsidiary.

> It got worse after that. He would not even give me the Auckland
> 09-xxxxxxx number to ring direct.

They don't want calls from customers clogging the lines. Especially calls
they have no intention of providing a satisfactory outcome for.

geopelia

"RayC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not that silly, if you read my post teranews and Easynews have
> new choices each log-in, Paradise never offers that info.
>

> "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dqum9e$pg0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > RayC wrote:
> >> As at posting this on the 22/1/06 Paradise have still not added one new
> >> additional group for 5 weeks, in fact they continue to chip away and
> >> reduce the choices each week.

> > Are you sure that you are refreshing the list correctly in your news
> > reader?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nicholas Sherlock

How do you do that please? I have news.xtra.co.nz They used to say when
there were new groups, but I haven't seen any for some time.

Geopelia

Dave Taylor

"geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:6_WAf.19545$vH5.907739
@news.xtra.co.nz:

Try here:
http://slyck.com/ng.php?page=1

First thing you will probably want to do is dump IE for News, but it can be
tamed. Google for an IE news reader walk through.

--
Ciao, Dave