Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > first notebook purchase

first notebook purchase

Geoff M

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:40:24 +1300, Craig Shore wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:55:00 +1300, "Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Which would be the faster machine?
>>Can anyone recommend any other sub $1500 notebooks?

> Check out Dell's www site. Although their service isn't that great unless you
> speak indian, their machines are pretty good and the prices are good.

DON"T BUY DELL. Let me tell you about my 5150. It took 7 weeks to arrive,
and in the end I had to collect it from the courier office so I would have
it when I left for Uni in Christchurch the next day.
Within the next 10 months, it had
- new power supply
- new DVD drive
- new case top
- new keyboard
- new motherboard (twice)
The tech support is non-existent and useless. Hard to understand, and if
your problem isn't on their script tree, they can't help. They never
returned calls when we were trying to find when it would arrive, and just
got passed around. A typical call would take 1-1.5 hours and get nowhere.
There is no local support.
The DVD drive replaced a year prior, no longer writes DVDs over 80% full
without errors. A new one is $350 and takes 3 weeks to arrive from order. I
would take them to the Disputes Tribunal under the Consumer Guarantees Act
except it would cost me more in lost time than the cost of a drive, and I
could only do it if I could find somewhere to lodge the summons. I could
think of a place, but there might be children reading... The companies
office lists the address as a lawyers office
Once it is out of warranty, they will not answer emails or faxes from you.
I have an external drive I am using, adn it reads DVDs and writes CDs ok on
the laptop drive, so fixing it isn't a priority for funds at present. I
have cost Dell more than the cost of a drive in lost sales thus far,
although I doubt they care. Google for "Dell Hell", and wonder at the
victory of marketing over experience
The Dells are heavy as well and short on things like USB ports, TV tuners,
etc compared with the Acers and others, although the battery life is good.
Given the service, and the fact the lappies will need fixing and
proprietary parts more than desktops, get somewhere with a local office.
You would have to pay me to take another Dell.
Geoff

Aaron Lawrence

At that very moment, Geoff M turned to nz.comp and said
> DON"T BUY DELL. Let me tell you about my 5150. It took 7 weeks to arrive,

By most accounts, their home/budget stuff is poor. The business
equipment is however OK. We buy the Latitude laptops and have no major
problems. Worst that I have seen is the headphone socket broken (new
motherboard at Dell's cost, LOL) and a slightly dodgy CD/DVD reader.
We have about 10 laptops at the moment.

Laptops are becoming more of a commodity and in fact are largely built
from third party components - only the case and motherboard such being
actually designed by "Dell" or whoever - just like desktops.

IBM is supposedly a solid bet still.

I wonder if building a custom laptop will become feasible at some point
in time. Assembly is probably too technical...

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

ChrisOD

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Aaron Lawrence wrote:
> At that very moment, Geoff M turned to nz.comp and said
>
> I wonder if building a custom laptop will become feasible at some point
> in time. Assembly is probably too technical...

there are a few manufacturers that do a barebones laptop.

I have a mate with a gigabyte one.

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 06:09:21 +1300, ChrisOD
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Aaron Lawrence wrote:
>> At that very moment, Geoff M turned to nz.comp and said
>>
>> I wonder if building a custom laptop will become feasible at some point
>> in time. Assembly is probably too technical...
>>

>there are a few manufacturers that do a barebones laptop.
>
>I have a mate with a gigabyte one.

The problem is that they're not cost effective and typically are 1.5-2
times the price of a brand name laptop.