Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > first notebook purchase

first notebook purchase

Joe Black

I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.

I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB ram,
mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.

Currently considering:
Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
DVD Writer

and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
DVD Writer

both available from Dick Smith.

Which would be the faster machine?
Can anyone recommend any other sub $1500 notebooks?

Thanks - Joe

Krazy Bob

"Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zFVzf.16354$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.
>
> I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB ram,
> mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
>
> Currently considering:
> Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
> Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
> 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
> 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
> DVD Writer
>
> and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
> AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
> 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
> 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
> DVD Writer
>
> both available from Dick Smith.
>
> Which would be the faster machine?
> Can anyone recommend any other sub $1500 notebooks?
>
> Thanks - Joe

I just bought a imb thinkpad for $1800 which was down from $2400.
harvey norman had a really good range of notebooks for your price range.
it might pay to check out there website

KB

~misfit~

Joe Black wrote:
> I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.
>
> I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB
> ram, mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
>
> Currently considering:
> Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
> Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
> 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
> 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
> DVD Writer
>
> and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
> AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
> 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
> 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
> DVD Writer
>
> both available from Dick Smith.
>
> Which would be the faster machine?

Faster? Probably the Acer. However, I know of Toshibas still running 8-9
years down the track, I don't know about Acers.
--
~misfit~

Krazy Bob

news:43d02db5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Joe Black wrote:
>> I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.
>>
>> I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB
>> ram, mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
>>
>> Currently considering:
>> Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
>> Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
>> 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
>> 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
>> DVD Writer
>>
>> and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
>> AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
>> 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
>> 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
>> DVD Writer
>>
>> both available from Dick Smith.
>>
>> Which would be the faster machine?

> Faster? Probably the Acer. However, I know of Toshibas still running 8-9
> years down the track, I don't know about Acers.
> --
> ~misfit~

i bought a laptop with the thinking ok, i doubt she would need this laptop
in 3yrs plus i bet in 3yrs time they will have a better one no doubt which
she can upgrade 2

SNOman

Joe Black wrote:
> I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.
>
> I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB ram,
> mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
>
> Currently considering:
> Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
> Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
> 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
> 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
> DVD Writer
>
> and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
> AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
> 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
> 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
> DVD Writer
>
> both available from Dick Smith.
>
> Which would be the faster machine?
> Can anyone recommend any other sub $1500 notebooks?
>
> Thanks - Joe

You can also get an HP NX6125 for a similar price
AMD Turion 64 ML-30
512Mb RAM
60Gb HDD
etc
etc

Craig Shore

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:55:00 +1300, "Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Which would be the faster machine?
>Can anyone recommend any other sub $1500 notebooks?

Check out Dell's www site. Although their service isn't that great unless you
speak indian, their machines are pretty good and the prices are good.

-=rjh=-

~misfit~ wrote:
> Joe Black wrote:
>> I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.
>>
>> I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB
>> ram, mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
>>
>> Currently considering:
>> Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
>> Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
>> 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
>> 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
>> DVD Writer
>>
>> and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
>> AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
>> 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
>> 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
>> DVD Writer
>>
>> both available from Dick Smith.
>>
>> Which would be the faster machine?

> Faster? Probably the Acer. However, I know of Toshibas still running 8-9
> years down the track, I don't know about Acers.

But that only says that Acers 8-9 years ago were crap (they were), and
Toshibas weren't (mostly true. I still have a T2000SXe, which is even
older).

However, Acer has lifted their game considerably and their current kit
seems OK, whereas I'm certain Toshiba's reliability has to be judged on
a model by model basis - like almost all tech gear these days.

For example, a friend of mine has a 3 year old Toshiba which has has 1x
M/B, 3x HDDs, 2x keyboards replaced (all but the last keyboard and HDD
under warranty ) but that is a Satellite Pro 6100 - there is a class
action underway in the US about the shocking reliability of that
particular model. The Tecra 8100 and about a dozen other models were the
subject of a successful class action earlier. It isn't as if the Tecra
8100 was ever a budget system, either.

So you can't say Toshibas are good; some are, some aren't.

An organisation I belong to has a DSE sourced $900 Acer, it seems
absolutely fine. So far. It would be a far better deal, for example,
than the kind of crap Turners is selling, for not a lot less.

~misfit~

-=rjh=- wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Joe Black wrote:
>>> I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook
>>> computer. I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least
>>> 512 MB
>>> ram, mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
>>>
>>> Currently considering:
>>> Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
>>> Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
>>> 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
>>> 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
>>> DVD Writer
>>>
>>> and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
>>> AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
>>> 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
>>> 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
>>> DVD Writer
>>>
>>> both available from Dick Smith.
>>>
>>> Which would be the faster machine?

>> Faster? Probably the Acer. However, I know of Toshibas still running
>> 8-9 years down the track, I don't know about Acers.

> But that only says that Acers 8-9 years ago were crap (they were), and
> Toshibas weren't (mostly true. I still have a T2000SXe, which is even
> older).
>
> However, Acer has lifted their game considerably and their current kit
> seems OK, whereas I'm certain Toshiba's reliability has to be judged
> on a model by model basis - like almost all tech gear these days.
>
> For example, a friend of mine has a 3 year old Toshiba which has has
> 1x M/B, 3x HDDs, 2x keyboards replaced (all but the last keyboard and
> HDD under warranty ) but that is a Satellite Pro 6100 - there is a
> class action underway in the US about the shocking reliability of that
> particular model. The Tecra 8100 and about a dozen other models were
> the subject of a successful class action earlier. It isn't as if the
> Tecra 8100 was ever a budget system, either.
>
> So you can't say Toshibas are good; some are, some aren't.
>
> An organisation I belong to has a DSE sourced $900 Acer, it seems
> absolutely fine. So far. It would be a far better deal, for example,
> than the kind of crap Turners is selling, for not a lot less.

Interesting to hear, thanks.

BTW, I didn't actually say current Tosh's are good, I wouldn't go that far
as I don't have experience with them. It was probably implied in my reply
though. The only real experience I've had with lappies is being given a
bunch of Tosh's that were bought at auction to assess, repair where I could,
and sell for a split of the profits. They were Pentiums, 150, 166 and
200MHz, about three-four years ago. They were mostly good and I learned a
bit about swapping parts around with them etc.
--
~misfit~

news.xtra.co.nz

"Krazy Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wZVzf.16355$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:zFVzf.16354$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.
>>
>> I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB ram,
>> mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
>>
>> Currently considering:
>> Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
>> Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
>> 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
>> 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
>> DVD Writer
>>
>> and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
>> AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
>> 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
>> 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
>> DVD Writer
>>
>> both available from Dick Smith.
>>
>> Which would be the faster machine?
>> Can anyone recommend any other sub $1500 notebooks?
>>
>> Thanks - Joe
>>

> I just bought a imb thinkpad for $1800 which was down from $2400.
> harvey norman had a really good range of notebooks for your price range.
> it might pay to check out there website
>
> KB

hmm, what model did you buy? i like the z60m and z60t

Krazy Bob

"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kZfAf.17918$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Krazy Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wZVzf.16355$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Joe Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:zFVzf.16354$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I am hoping for some advice on purchasing my first notebook computer.
>>>
>>> I can only spend $1500 max. and want something with at least 512 MB ram,
>>> mostly for word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
>>>
>>> Currently considering:
>>> Toshiba Satellite M70 - $1498
>>> Celeron M processor 380 (1.6 Ghz, 1 mb L2 cache)
>>> 512 MB ram DDR2 (533)
>>> 40 GB Hard drive (5400 rpm)
>>> DVD Writer
>>>
>>> and an Acer 5001 WLMi - $1448
>>> AMD Turion ML-28 (1.6 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache)
>>> 512 MB ram (not sure what speed)
>>> 60 GB Ultra ATA/100 removeable hard disk drive (not sure what rpm)
>>> DVD Writer
>>>
>>> both available from Dick Smith.
>>>
>>> Which would be the faster machine?
>>> Can anyone recommend any other sub $1500 notebooks?
>>>
>>> Thanks - Joe
>>>

>> I just bought a imb thinkpad for $1800 which was down from $2400.
>> harvey norman had a really good range of notebooks for your price range.
>> it might pay to check out there website
>>
>> KB
>>

> hmm, what model did you buy? i like the z60m and z60t

i honestly don't even know of the model number my self :-s

KB