Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > wireless routers that support dial-up connetions

wireless routers that support dial-up connetions

P Morris

are any wireless routers that support dial-up connections rather than
broadband type connections? ADSL is not currently an option. The only
such router I'm aware of is the Apple Airport Extreme - which seems a
little expensive.

Are there any others out there?

thanks
Paul

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"P Morris" <pmorris@paradise> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> are any wireless routers that support dial-up connections rather than
> broadband type connections? ADSL is not currently an option. The only
> such router I'm aware of is the Apple Airport Extreme - which seems a
> little expensive.
>
> Are there any others out there?

The WiFlyer will do, but there's no telepermit for it, yet. I posted a
review here: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5647

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz

elpenguino

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:30:46 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"P Morris" <pmorris@paradise> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> are any wireless routers that support dial-up connections rather than
>> broadband type connections? ADSL is not currently an option. The only
>> such router I'm aware of is the Apple Airport Extreme - which seems a
>> little expensive.
>>
>> Are there any others out there?

>The WiFlyer will do, but there's no telepermit for it, yet. I posted a
>review here: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5647

oooo , oooo, oooo, I know this one!!
There's something from Apple called the air port as well.

Cheers,
Chris

Fred Dagg

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:14:47 +1300, P Morris <pmorris@paradise>
exclaimed:

>are any wireless routers that support dial-up connections rather than
>broadband type connections? ADSL is not currently an option. The only
>such router I'm aware of is the Apple Airport Extreme - which seems a
>little expensive.
>
>Are there any others out there?
>
>thanks
>Paul

Hmm, if you've got an old machine around, maybe an IPCop firewall
connected to a standard WAP?

dialup routers are like hens teeth these days, and still in demand in
some circles.

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"elpenguino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:30:46 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"P Morris" <pmorris@paradise> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> are any wireless routers that support dial-up connections rather than
>>> broadband type connections? ADSL is not currently an option. The only
>>> such router I'm aware of is the Apple Airport Extreme - which seems a
>>> little expensive.
>>>
>>> Are there any others out there?

>>The WiFlyer will do, but there's no telepermit for it, yet. I posted a
>>review here: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5647

> oooo , oooo, oooo, I know this one!!
> There's something from Apple called the air port as well.

Which the OP discarded as expensive. The WiFlyer is probably half or third
of the price of the Apple solution

Although I've heard very good stuff abou the Apple one, not sure if it
commands the premium price - it's just a router...

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

EMB

Fred Dagg wrote:

> Hmm, if you've got an old machine around, maybe an IPCop firewall
> connected to a standard WAP?
>
> dialup routers are like hens teeth these days, and still in demand in
> some circles.

There's a brand new one in it's box sitting here - I'll part with it if
someone makes me a sensible offer.

--
EMB

PC

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:14:47 +1300, P Morris <pmorris@paradise>
> exclaimed:

snip

> dialup routers are like hens teeth these days, and still in demand in
> some circles.

Rang Dynalink today looking for one.

'No none available, market to small'

Bugger means I'm gona have to do the Freesco thingy.

Paul.

steve

P Morris wrote:

> are any wireless routers that support dial-up connections rather than
> broadband type connections? ADSL is not currently an option. The only
> such router I'm aware of is the Apple Airport Extreme - which seems a
> little expensive.
>
> Are there any others out there?
>
> thanks
> Paul

Dialup to an ISP, then VPN through an open port on the router, forwarded to
the system you want to VPN into.

That is effective dialup access.

elpenguino

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:48:54 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Which the OP discarded as expensive. The WiFlyer is probably half or third
>of the price of the Apple solution

Oh yeah, now you mention it the OP did disregard it.
Must try reading better in future....

P Morris

Thanks Mauricio - great review. I'll see about getting one.

cheers,
Paul