Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > identifying pirated DVD's: part 2

identifying pirated DVD's: part 2

Shane

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:39:08 +1200, Don Hills wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>, Shane
> <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:
>>
>>Harden up ****

> He's a damn sight harder than you're ever likely to be, son. He's right,
> and you know it, or you wouldn't have responded as you did.

No.. and thats why I used the word, in this thread, to demonstrate peoples
finding offense at *anything*
(ie, hes found my post in a thread.. not addressed to him.. and makes a
big noise), now.. whats funny, is you think you have to stick your wee
nose in
Please, use common sense when reading, and stay out of what you dont
understand lad

--
The heart is not a logical organ.
-- Dr. Janet Wallace, "The Deadly Years", stardate 3479.4

Don Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>,
Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:

|No.. and thats why I used the word, in this thread, to demonstrate peoples
| finding offense at *anything*

I did wonder about that. It didn't advance the discussion in any meaningful
way, and in fact diverted attention from the main thrust of the thread.

|(ie, hes found my post in a thread.. not addressed to him.. and makes a
|big noise), now.. whats funny, is you think you have to stick your wee
|nose in

Crocodile tears. You know very well that this is Usenet, where everyone has
an opinion on everything.

|Please, use common sense when reading, and stay out of what you dont
|understand lad

What's not to understand? You failed to comprehend Waylon's point and
replied with a gratuitous racist slur and irrelevant example. The thread was
well and truly off on a tangent by the time misfit weighed in. I shouldn't
have been surprised, I've seen you do it before.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

Shane

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:38:40 +1200, Don Hills wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>, Shane
> <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:
> |
> |No.. and thats why I used the word, in this thread, to demonstrate
> |peoples
> | finding offense at *anything*
>
> I did wonder about that. It didn't advance the discussion in any
> meaningful way, and in fact diverted attention from the main thrust of the
> thread.
>
> |(ie, hes found my post in a thread.. not addressed to him.. and makes a
> |big noise), now.. whats funny, is you think you have to stick your wee
> |nose in
>
> Crocodile tears. You know very well that this is Usenet, where everyone
> has an opinion on everything.

And...?
Dont we have enough spelling bee/language moderators for one forum?

> |Please, use common sense when reading, and stay out of what you dont
> |understand lad
>
> What's not to understand? You failed to comprehend Waylon's point and
> replied with a gratuitous racist slur and irrelevant example. The thread
> was well and truly off on a tangent by the time misfit weighed in. I
> shouldn't have been surprised, I've seen you do it before.

LMAO
lay off the gin.
The point I was replying to (in kriskirks post)
> Surely a better way would be for the movie industry to come up with an
> international rating system, and then each country could determine based
> on its own culture and values which ratings were okay for their country?

Now settle down a tad petal

--
After the last of 16 mounting screws has been removed from an access
cover, it will be discovered that the wrong access cover has been removed.

Rob J

> outofdate wrote:
> > "Invisible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> For the ones in plastic cases, they could put them on the inside or

> > outside.
> >> <rant> sick of no sealed DVDs & CDs over here, with sales droids sticky
> >> fingerprints all over them </rant>
> >>

> > If only it was sticky finger prints I would not mind, it's all the damn
> > scratches on so called brand new discs that gets me, this qualifies them as
> > a shop soiled product as far as I am concerned and therefore should be sold
> > at 2ndhand prices. You can buy 2ndhand discs in better condition than those
> > sold in the shops. For this reason I import my discs from Australia or USA
> > although on the odd occasion i have attempted to buy a dvd in NZ when they
> > are significantly dearer to buy overseas but I become very frustrated with
> > the almost impossible task of trying to track down a dvd without scratches,
> > there is not one single retailer that does not have this problem. I did
> > manage to get star wars trilogy sealed from the warehouse, when they have a
> > big release like this they sometimes don't get all the copies out at once
> > and so there is no worries about scratches for me. But as usual it is the
> > acceptance of shoddy service by NZ customers that is the problem, if
> > everyone asked to look at the discs for scratches and then did not accept it
> > and ask to look at another things would soon change, they look at me like i
> > am an alien when i ask to do this and I know the process is annoying to them
> > as well as for me.
> >

> The fight I had with the warehouse A DVD started to crack at the spindle
> caused by the dvd box. The help desk person was not wanting to replace
> the disk! even though I had the proof of sale. even worse the disk split
> in half when the person put the disk in and out of the box. my words
> went something like this I pay money to watch a Movie as many times
> times at my convenience as I want to now I cant! they eventually gave in
> and gave my money back as there was no stock. I think the boxes are made
> to ruin the disks!

Au contraire
Most of them have a "press to release" button in the centre that pops
the disc out without any damage
I have heard of cases of people breaking discs becuase they tried to
pull the disc off the hub without releasing it first

~misfit~

Don Hills wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>,
> Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:
>>
>> No.. and thats why I used the word, in this thread, to demonstrate
>> peoples finding offense at *anything*

> I did wonder about that. It didn't advance the discussion in any
> meaningful way, and in fact diverted attention from the main thrust
> of the thread.

So now he claims it was a sociological experiment? Yeah, right.

>> (ie, hes found my post in a thread.. not addressed to him.. and
>> makes a big noise), now.. whats funny, is you think you have to
>> stick your wee nose in

> Crocodile tears. You know very well that this is Usenet, where
> everyone has an opinion on everything.

LOL @ "not addressed to him". Methinks someone is confused about usenet and
email. I was reading the whole thread with interest. It wasn't hard to
"find" that post.

>> Please, use common sense when reading, and stay out of what you dont
>> understand lad

> What's not to understand? You failed to comprehend Waylon's point and
> replied with a gratuitous racist slur and irrelevant example. The
> thread was well and truly off on a tangent by the time misfit weighed
> in.

Indeed.

> I shouldn't have been surprised, I've seen you do it before.

Aye, as have I. That was the last straw, hence the plonking.
--
~misfit~

Robert Cooze

Rob J wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> outofdate wrote:
>>> "Invisible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> outside.
>>>>
>>> If only it was sticky finger prints I would not mind, it's all the damn
>>> scratches on so called brand new discs that gets me, this qualifies them as
>>> a shop soiled product as far as I am concerned and therefore should be sold
>>> at 2ndhand prices. You can buy 2ndhand discs in better condition than those
>>> sold in the shops. For this reason I import my discs from Australia or USA
>>> although on the odd occasion i have attempted to buy a dvd in NZ when they
>>> are significantly dearer to buy overseas but I become very frustrated with
>>> the almost impossible task of trying to track down a dvd without scratches,
>>> there is not one single retailer that does not have this problem. I did
>>> manage to get star wars trilogy sealed from the warehouse, when they have a
>>> big release like this they sometimes don't get all the copies out at once
>>> and so there is no worries about scratches for me. But as usual it is the
>>> acceptance of shoddy service by NZ customers that is the problem, if
>>> everyone asked to look at the discs for scratches and then did not accept it
>>> and ask to look at another things would soon change, they look at me like i
>>> am an alien when i ask to do this and I know the process is annoying to them
>>> as well as for me.
>>>

>> The fight I had with the warehouse A DVD started to crack at the spindle
>> caused by the dvd box. The help desk person was not wanting to replace
>> the disk! even though I had the proof of sale. even worse the disk split
>> in half when the person put the disk in and out of the box. my words
>> went something like this I pay money to watch a Movie as many times
>> times at my convenience as I want to now I cant! they eventually gave in
>> and gave my money back as there was no stock. I think the boxes are made
>> to ruin the disks!

> Au contraire
> Most of them have a "press to release" button in the centre that pops
> the disc out without any damage
> I have heard of cases of people breaking discs becuase they tried to
> pull the disc off the hub without releasing it first

This disk did have the press to release but it was one that didn't
really release the disk and there was still quight a bit of effort to
remove the disk all of mine now live in a soft pouch filling system the
boxes are nicely stacked.

I'm A Trampoline

Shane wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:24:30 -0800, kriskirk wrote:
>
> The problem is, whats offensive here may not be offensive in.......
> <random country of *****>
> I recall a body language program where the OK hand signal and the thumbs
> up hand signal were considered offensive in some countries/cultures (Ones
> the sign for wanker, the other ones for homosexual, I'll leave it as an
> exercise for the reader to figure out which is which)

Was it a short educational film which used the sale of Aussie Bonds to
the Japanese as an example? Apparently they flopped in Japan because the
Aussie body language in their ad didn't translate well to the Japanese.
At the end they did an approximation of the TV ad to show the reader
what it looked like to the Japanese; it was hilarious.