Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > identifying pirated DVD's: part 2

identifying pirated DVD's: part 2

Shane

Harden up ****

--
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a
dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:51:03 +1300 when I remembered Mutlley

>>>For the ones in plastic cases, they could put them on the inside or outside.

>>Not really. It's pretty easy to slide the paper insert out of a DVD,
>>then you're left with a censorless DVD.

>Oh give me a break. Who would sell a DVD with out the cover???

No, I was referring to the fact if the sticker wasn't on the label but
on the case, you could replace the case with a sticker less case,
thereby having a DVD without a censor sticker. Whether this is ok or
not isn't really for me to decide.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

S Roby

>This is the info I have corresponding to that barcode
>
>House 2 - The Second Story
>Region Coding: 2
>Production Year: 1987
>Rating: 18
>Running Time: 88 min.
>DVD Release: 16/08/1999
>Original Title:
>Case Type: Keep Case
>Video Formats: Full Frame 1.33:1
>Disc Formats: Single Sided, Single Layered
>
>Note the last line, it appears that this DVD is in fact single layered. And
>it is region 2 (UK). Looking at the cover on the virgin site it matches the
>one DVD profiler has. So the results are basically inconclusive at the
>moment. Are you sure the disc you have isn't region protected? how did you
>test this?

I checked it with DVDinfo
It said it was all regions & a pressed(not burnt) disk

Looks like it may perhaps be genuine, just very crappy quality
Even the printing on the disk is crappy
The actuall qualiy of the audio & video is very bad, the soundtrack is worse
than the old pirated VCD's
the first few minures has something badly wrong with video (moving side to
side)

Looking at the UK distributors website, the UK disk has spelling & grammar
mistakes on the cover
The US version doesnt have these mistakes

Should I ask for my money back given the poor quality of the disk even if
it may be genuine??

Crains

S Roby wrote:
>> This is the info I have corresponding to that barcode
>>
>> House 2 - The Second Story
>> Region Coding: 2
>> Production Year: 1987
>> Rating: 18
>> Running Time: 88 min.
>> DVD Release: 16/08/1999
>> Original Title:
>> Case Type: Keep Case
>> Video Formats: Full Frame 1.33:1
>> Disc Formats: Single Sided, Single Layered
>>
>> Note the last line, it appears that this DVD is in fact single
>> layered. And it is region 2 (UK). Looking at the cover on the virgin
>> site it matches the one DVD profiler has. So the results are
>> basically inconclusive at the moment. Are you sure the disc you have
>> isn't region protected? how did you test this?
>>

> I checked it with DVDinfo
> It said it was all regions & a pressed(not burnt) disk
>
> Looks like it may perhaps be genuine, just very crappy quality
> Even the printing on the disk is crappy
> The actuall qualiy of the audio & video is very bad, the soundtrack
> is worse than the old pirated VCD's
> the first few minures has something badly wrong with video (moving
> side to side)
>
> Looking at the UK distributors website, the UK disk has spelling &
> grammar mistakes on the cover
> The US version doesnt have these mistakes
>
> Should I ask for my money back given the poor quality of the disk
> even if it may be genuine??

I guess you can always try.

Richard

Waylon Kenning wrote:

> No, I was referring to the fact if the sticker wasn't on the label but
> on the case, you could replace the case with a sticker less case,
> thereby having a DVD without a censor sticker. Whether this is ok or
> not isn't really for me to decide.

A lot of people I know biff the cases, too bulky when its just got to hold a
thin piece of plastic which is really all you care about. The sleeve from the
case can be slipped in to the same pocket in the disc wallet as the disc if its
worth keeping.

The old cardboard cases with the snapper on the side are another matter tho.
Those were a complete pain in the ass.

Don Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>,
Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:

>Harden up ****

He's a damn sight harder than you're ever likely to be, son.
He's right, and you know it, or you wouldn't have responded as you did.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

Peter Huebner

In article <43ced8a8$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> There is some concern amongst musicians that their sacred symbol is
> being debased.
>
> http://www.theonion.com/content/node/42365

I hope you realize that theonion is one giant ****-take?!? Not, absolutely NOT
to be taken seriously for one moment.
(they come up with great stuff from time to time, I don't visit there anywhere
near often enough).

-P.

Robert Cooze

outofdate wrote:
> "Invisible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:56:30 +1300, Waylon Kenning
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> T'was the Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:02:20 +1300 when I remembered "Crains"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>>> I think it's a necessary evil. Well, more to the point, I can't see a
>>> better way to show age restrictions, short of designing DVD labels
>>> with a space for the censor sticker.
>>>

>> For the ones in plastic cases, they could put them on the inside or

> outside.
>> <rant> sick of no sealed DVDs & CDs over here, with sales droids sticky
>> fingerprints all over them </rant>
>>

> If only it was sticky finger prints I would not mind, it's all the damn
> scratches on so called brand new discs that gets me, this qualifies them as
> a shop soiled product as far as I am concerned and therefore should be sold
> at 2ndhand prices. You can buy 2ndhand discs in better condition than those
> sold in the shops. For this reason I import my discs from Australia or USA
> although on the odd occasion i have attempted to buy a dvd in NZ when they
> are significantly dearer to buy overseas but I become very frustrated with
> the almost impossible task of trying to track down a dvd without scratches,
> there is not one single retailer that does not have this problem. I did
> manage to get star wars trilogy sealed from the warehouse, when they have a
> big release like this they sometimes don't get all the copies out at once
> and so there is no worries about scratches for me. But as usual it is the
> acceptance of shoddy service by NZ customers that is the problem, if
> everyone asked to look at the discs for scratches and then did not accept it
> and ask to look at another things would soon change, they look at me like i
> am an alien when i ask to do this and I know the process is annoying to them
> as well as for me.

The fight I had with the warehouse A DVD started to crack at the spindle
caused by the dvd box. The help desk person was not wanting to replace
the disk! even though I had the proof of sale. even worse the disk split
in half when the person put the disk in and out of the box. my words
went something like this I pay money to watch a Movie as many times
times at my convenience as I want to now I cant! they eventually gave in
and gave my money back as there was no stock. I think the boxes are made
to ruin the disks!

shannon

Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <43ced8a8$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>There is some concern amongst musicians that their sacred symbol is
>>being debased.
>>
>>http://www.theonion.com/content/node/42365
>>

> I hope you realize that theonion is one giant ****-take?!?

Really ???????!!!!

Shane

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:32:16 +1300, shannon wrote:

> Peter Huebner wrote:
>> In article <43ced8a8$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>>>There is some concern amongst musicians that their sacred symbol is
>>>being debased.
>>>
>>>http://www.theonion.com/content/node/42365
>>>

>> I hope you realize that theonion is one giant ****-take?!?

> Really ???????!!!!

Heh.. Geezer Butler is GOD!!!!!
well ok Tony Iommi is GOD!!!!!!
but close enuff

--
"MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten years
of careful development."