Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux in India

Linux in India

steve

This one country, India, could have more Linux users than the rest of the
world combined in the near future.....(though Red Flag Linux - a native
mandarin Chinese distro - is already arguably the most popular version of
Linux on the planet today....)

http://www.in.redhat.com/news/article/64.html

Speaking on the occasion, Prof. Y.S. Rajan, Principal Adviser- CII said,
"India has the second largest education system in the world and there is an
urgent need to modernize it using information technology. We have therefore
developed content that we offer free to educational institutions. As our
Honourable President, APJ Abdul Kalam has pointed out, open source can
serve as a tool for modernizing India. We are therefore happy to work with
Red Hat to deploy our content and open source software in the service of
Indian education. Even the CII-Shiksha contents for teaching in schools is
based on the open-source concept. We will let capable and motivated
teachers to creatively modify the content and to give a distinct flavour to
suit the local conditions and use it for teaching in other languages. It is
a living organism to be a part of the students, teachers and parents."

Mutlley

steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This one country, India, could have more Linux users than the rest of the
>world combined in the near future.....(though Red Flag Linux - a native
>mandarin Chinese distro - is already arguably the most popular version of
>Linux on the planet today....)
>
>http://www.in.redhat.com/news/article/64.html

>Speaking on the occasion, Prof. Y.S. Rajan, Principal Adviser- CII said,
>"India has the second largest education system in the world and there is an
>urgent need to modernize it using information technology. We have therefore
>developed content that we offer free to educational institutions. As our
>Honourable President, APJ Abdul Kalam has pointed out, open source can
>serve as a tool for modernizing India. We are therefore happy to work with
>Red Hat to deploy our content and open source software in the service of
>Indian education. Even the CII-Shiksha contents for teaching in schools is
>based on the open-source concept. We will let capable and motivated
>teachers to creatively modify the content and to give a distinct flavour to
>suit the local conditions and use it for teaching in other languages. It is
>a living organism to be a part of the students, teachers and parents."

Go India.

Rudy Canoza

steve wrote:

> This one country, India, could have more Linux users than the rest of the
> world combined in the near future.....(though Red Flag Linux - a native
> mandarin Chinese distro - is already arguably the most popular version of
> Linux on the planet today....)
>
> http://www.in.redhat.com/news/article/64.html

> Speaking on the occasion, Prof. Y.S. Rajan, Principal Adviser- CII said,
> "India has the second largest education system in the world and there is an
> urgent need to modernize it using information technology. We have therefore
> developed content that we offer free to educational institutions. As our
> Honourable President, APJ Abdul Kalam has pointed out, open source can
> serve as a tool for modernizing India. We are therefore happy to work with
> Red Hat to deploy our content and open source software in the service of
> Indian education. Even the CII-Shiksha contents for teaching in schools is
> based on the open-source concept. We will let capable and motivated
> teachers to creatively modify the content and to give a distinct flavour to
> suit the local conditions and use it for teaching in other languages. It is
> a living organism to be a part of the students, teachers and parents."

Why on earth do you think Indians will take to Linux more than Westerners?
Sounds to me like you're not taking into account the difference between
sysadmins and single users.

How typically delusional of you. Surely you know how unpopular Linux is with
the novice (i.e. typical) computer user.

Robert Cooze

Rudy Canoza wrote:
> steve wrote:
>> This one country, India, could have more Linux users than the rest of the
>> world combined in the near future.....(though Red Flag Linux - a native
>> mandarin Chinese distro - is already arguably the most popular version of
>> Linux on the planet today....)
>>
>> http://www.in.redhat.com/news/article/64.html

>> Speaking on the occasion, Prof. Y.S. Rajan, Principal Adviser- CII said,
>> "India has the second largest education system in the world and there is an
>> urgent need to modernize it using information technology. We have therefore
>> developed content that we offer free to educational institutions. As our
>> Honourable President, APJ Abdul Kalam has pointed out, open source can
>> serve as a tool for modernizing India. We are therefore happy to work with
>> Red Hat to deploy our content and open source software in the service of
>> Indian education. Even the CII-Shiksha contents for teaching in schools is
>> based on the open-source concept. We will let capable and motivated
>> teachers to creatively modify the content and to give a distinct flavour to
>> suit the local conditions and use it for teaching in other languages. It is
>> a living organism to be a part of the students, teachers and parents."

> Why on earth do you think Indians will take to Linux more than Westerners?
> Sounds to me like you're not taking into account the difference between
> sysadmins and single users.
>
> How typically delusional of you. Surely you know how unpopular Linux is with
> the novice (i.e. typical) computer user.

I am convinced that typical (novice) computer users do not know what
they are getting in to with the Internet. I see it all the time the
nephew uses the in laws computer. It pops up something and he asks they
look at it and BLINDLY use the yes button.

http://lobby4linux.com/modules/weblo...php?blog_id=25

Has some good comments on this. I use both windows and Linux the modern
Linux almost makes sense If you had never used windows. There are many
things in windows that cause heart break.