Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > dsl UPSTREAM choked.....

dsl UPSTREAM choked.....

steve

I share a few files - famous historical speeches and documentaries - and it
is interesting to note how the UPSTREAM 128k bandwidth gets saturated an
unreliable.

I'm barely getting 1KB upstream.......never mind 16KB-20KB.

You'd wonder why the upstream leg is stuffed while the downward through put
is doing just fine.

Doesn't appear to be a bandwidth constraint......given how assymetric the
data rates are.

Stu Fleming

steve wrote:

> You'd wonder why the upstream leg is stuffed while the downward through put
> is doing just fine.
>
> Doesn't appear to be a bandwidth constraint......given how assymetric the
> data rates are.

If you choke the bandwidth off at the subscriber end, you don't need to
invest so heavily in layer-7 traffic shaping...

steve

Stu Fleming wrote:

> steve wrote:
>
>> You'd wonder why the upstream leg is stuffed while the downward through
>> put is doing just fine.
>>
>> Doesn't appear to be a bandwidth constraint......given how assymetric the
>> data rates are.

> If you choke the bandwidth off at the subscriber end, you don't need to
> invest so heavily in layer-7 traffic shaping...

Sounds about right .

aum

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 12:31:25 +1300, steve wrote:

> You'd wonder why the upstream leg is stuffed while the downward through put
> is doing just fine.

Because we're just stupid ****en consumers who don't know ****.

Anyone who gripes about lack of upstream bandwidth is a friggin leftist
douchebag who wants to destroy free enterprise.

We're not supposed to use any upstream at all, except for http
requests and smtp connections (and, I guess, a bit of chat and usenet
posting).

Forget 'ADSL' - that's misrepresentation. Best call it 'UDSL' -
'unidirectional digital subscriber line'.

Because - we're all just meant to sit here, consume and pay. And keep
paying. Without question. And believe what we're told. Always.

We're not meant to disrupt the mass media owners' time-honoured
traditional role of gatekeepers of information flow and public perception.

At last, big business is finally cleaning up the hippie anarchist
terrorist fantasy world the internet momentarily turned out to be.

(Watch out for developments in USA - where ISPs are prioritising bandwidth
based on which websites you visit - to visit sites not affiliated with the
ISP (read: not sending payola to the ISP, or doing other favours for the
ISP), you'll have to pay premium subscription rates. No premium
subscription, then www.janes-independent-pottery-business.com will load at
0.01kB/s. Just a matter of time before Telecom try it on in NZ)

--

Cheers
aum

steve

aum wrote:

> At last, big business is finally cleaning up the hippie anarchist
> terrorist fantasy world the internet momentarily turned out to be.

Even 128k would be alright if I actually GOT 128k. You can move a GB / day
at that speed.

> (Watch out for developments in USA - where ISPs are prioritising bandwidth
> based on which websites you visit - to visit sites not affiliated with the
> ISP (read: not sending payola to the ISP, or doing other favours for the
> ISP), you'll have to pay premium subscription rates. No premium
> subscription, then www.janes-independent-pottery-business.com will load at
> 0.01kB/s. Just a matter of time before Telecom try it on in NZ)

Probably too late......

Steve

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:55:05 +1300, steve wrote:

> aum wrote:
>

>> (Watch out for developments in USA - where ISPs are prioritising bandwidth
>> based on which websites you visit - to visit sites not affiliated with the
>> ISP (read: not sending payola to the ISP, or doing other favours for the
>> ISP), you'll have to pay premium subscription rates. No premium
>> subscription, then www.janes-independent-pottery-business.com will load at
>> 0.01kB/s. Just a matter of time before Telecom try it on in NZ)

> Probably too late......

FUD

steve

Steve wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:55:05 +1300, steve wrote:
>
>> aum wrote:
>>

>>> (Watch out for developments in USA - where ISPs are prioritising
>>> bandwidth based on which websites you visit - to visit sites not
>>> affiliated with the ISP (read: not sending payola to the ISP, or doing
>>> other favours for the ISP), you'll have to pay premium subscription
>>> rates. No premium subscription, then
>>> www.janes-independent-pottery-business.com will load at 0.01kB/s. Just a
>>> matter of time before Telecom try it on in NZ)

>> Probably too late......

> FUD

.....and?

DSL - upstream speed increase steve NZ Computing 6 12-02-2006 03:04 AM
upstream proxy with Pix E. Helm Cisco 0 07-21-2003 01:07 AM
Re: How to be an upstream developer? Kline Sphere MCSD 1 07-03-2003 08:38 PM
Re: How to be an upstream developer? PJ Lee MCSD 1 07-02-2003 04:09 AM
How to be an upstream developer? Ken MCSD 0 06-30-2003 08:14 AM

Advertisments