Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux and wireless cards

Linux and wireless cards

grumpyoldhori

Damn,this Suse 10 is good on wireless cards,tried seven different types
including USB ones,recognised them all.

Heh,cheap and easy full duplex wireless repeater.

Now,who do I know with a 5.8ghz card,right google, need a PCI 5.8 card
grumpy

CyiPherX

Yep Ubuntu picked up mine correctly straight out of the box, in windows
i had to install drivers etc, (never again!).

Windows is so far behind with out of the box hardware support, im sure
Vista will catch up, but at the moment Linux has the lead in setting up
hardware during install, without the user needing to supply drivers.

CyiPherX

aum

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:27:26 -0800, CyiPherX wrote:

> Yep Ubuntu picked up mine correctly straight out of the box, in windows
> i had to install drivers etc, (never again!).
>
> Windows is so far behind with out of the box hardware support, im sure
> Vista will catch up, but at the moment Linux has the lead in setting up
> hardware during install, without the user needing to supply drivers.
>
> CyiPherX

Well, that's true in many cases for some of the consumer desktop linuxes.

Other distros can drag you very quickly into:

- the entrails of kernel configs/patches/rebuilds

- cryptic manpages

- even more cryptic config files with documentation that roars with
laughter at your confusion (or even no doco at all)

- schizoid source code that has to be hand-hacked into compiling and
workng

- dependency hell

- forced upgrades to components like certain libraries, that breaks much
of the other software on your system

- obsolete HOWTOs promising crucial knowledge in web links that
turn out to be broken

- mailing list archives with crap search engines - IRC channels full of
obnoxious geeks who ridicule your predicament

--

Cheers
aum

Gordon

FFS. Supply some facts.

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:07:14 +1300, grumpyoldhori wrote:

> Damn,this Suse 10 is good on wireless cards,tried seven different types
> including USB ones,recognised them all.
>
> Heh,cheap and easy full duplex wireless repeater.
>
> Now,who do I know with a 5.8ghz card,right google, need a PCI 5.8 card

Ms, Penguin here.

I get really ****ed off when people raving about how good the Penguin is
at networking. My ancestors, right from before any eggs were cracked, have
been networking. We know how to do it without thinking about it.

Been fishing latey mate?

steve

aum wrote:

> Well, that's true in many cases for some of the consumer desktop linuxes.

Yes.....Xandros is particularly good...and V4.0 is due out in a 3-4 months.

> Other distros can drag you very quickly into:

....all manner of 'traditional' Linux challenges.

Fine if you want them.....but - these days - avoidable if you don't.

Steve

Give up it's just spam bait.

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:32:30 +1300, Gordon wrote:

> FFS. Supply some facts.
>
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:34:29 +1300, aum wrote:

[snip more FUD]

aum

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:37:36 +1300, Steve wrote:

> Give up it's just spam bait.
>
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:32:30 +1300, Gordon wrote:
>
>> FFS. Supply some facts.
>>
>> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:34:29 +1300, aum wrote:
>>

> [snip more FUD]

It's actually all truth - I have experienced all those things at different
times, especially years ago in my earlier Linux days.

All that said, I'm still a staunch linux user, since these hassles have
all but gone away. Even with all this painful crap having happened on and
off, the switch to Linux has been an overwhelming net positive for me.

I'm still barely scratching the surface of Linux - I haven't written any
kernel code, or put together a distro from scratch, or any other
high-powered stuff, but I know how to do what I need
most of the time, and google for what I don't know.

I described one lot of pain on the Open Source side.
It worries me that it's met with at least as much denial by Linux afficiandos as
accounts of windoze brokenness, stupidity and insecurity meet with Redmond
loyalists.

--

Cheers
aum

Steve

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:20:02 +1300, aum wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:37:36 +1300, Steve wrote:
>
>> Give up it's just spam bait.
>>
>> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:32:30 +1300, Gordon wrote:
>>
>>> FFS. Supply some facts.
>>>
>>> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:34:29 +1300, aum wrote:
>>>

>> [snip more FUD]

> It's actually all truth - I have experienced all those things at different
> times, especially years ago in my earlier Linux days.

Was true, IS FUD

shannon

aum wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:37:36 +1300, Steve wrote:
>
>> Give up it's just spam bait.
>>
>> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:32:30 +1300, Gordon wrote:
>>
>>> FFS. Supply some facts.
>>>
>>> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:34:29 +1300, aum wrote:
>>>

>> [snip more FUD]

> It's actually all truth - I have experienced all those things at different
> times, especially years ago in my earlier Linux days.
>
> All that said, I'm still a staunch linux user, since these hassles have
> all but gone away. Even with all this painful crap having happened on and
> off, the switch to Linux has been an overwhelming net positive for me.
>
> I'm still barely scratching the surface of Linux - I haven't written any
> kernel code, or put together a distro from scratch, or any other
> high-powered stuff, but I know how to do what I need
> most of the time, and google for what I don't know.
>
> I described one lot of pain on the Open Source side.
> It worries me that it's met with at least as much denial by Linux afficiandos as
> accounts of windoze brokenness, stupidity and insecurity meet with Redmond
> loyalists.

There there there
You poor thing
The big nasty linux bit you