Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > need recommendation - device between laptop and pda

need recommendation - device between laptop and pda

aum

Hi,

Can anyone recommend me to a portable computing device that has a screen
size somewhere between a PDA and a laptop? For instance, approximately the
area of an A5 sheet of paper?

Touch-screen preferred, ability to plug in
PS/2 keyboard desirable but not essential.

I want it mainly as an e-book reader - it must have the ability to hook up
to a PC, with a PDF reader, or if it has a proprietary ebook
format, then the ability for users to create their own ebooks in that
format.

Any ideas of products, or anyone in NZ selling such things?

Thanks in advance

--

Cheers
aum

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
aum <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend me to a portable computing device that has a screen
> size somewhere between a PDA and a laptop? For instance, approximately the
> area of an A5 sheet of paper?

Um. A5 is 210mm x 148.5mm. That's 10.1" diagonal, which *is* laptop
size.

> Touch-screen preferred, ability to plug in
> PS/2 keyboard desirable but not essential.

A used Newton.

They come up on trademe from time to time.

From http://static.the-gadgeteer.com/newton.html:

Size (inches): 1.12x4.7x8.3
Weight (ounces): 22.4
StrongARM SA-110 RISC processor at 160 MHz
Newton custom system chip set-ASIC
5MB RAM (1MB of DRAM, 4MB of Flash RAM)
8MB of mask ROM
Low-power, transflective 4.9-in. by 3.3-in. (129.8-mm by 83.2-mm) liquid
crystal display (480 by 320 pixels at 100 dpi, with 16-level gray scale
and EL backlight)

That's about 8% - 90% of the size of A6, in each direction, A6 being
148.5mm x 105mm.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

aum

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:06:30 +1300, Bruce Hoult wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> aum <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anyone recommend me to a portable computing device that has a screen
>> size somewhere between a PDA and a laptop? For instance, approximately the
>> area of an A5 sheet of paper?

> Um. A5 is 210mm x 148.5mm. That's 10.1" diagonal, which *is* laptop
> size.

Bloody small laptop. My common-size laptop has a 14" diagonal.

I saw a bleeding-edge tablet PC (touchscreen, no keyboard, not just a
touchscreen-capable laptop) at computer city, but their website is down so
I can't investigate further

>> Touch-screen preferred, ability to plug in PS/2 keyboard desirable but
>> not essential.

> A used Newton.
> They come up on trademe from time to time.
>
> From http://static.the-gadgeteer.com/newton.html:
>
> Size (inches): 1.12x4.7x8.3
> Weight (ounces): 22.4
> StrongARM SA-110 RISC processor at 160 MHz Newton custom system chip
> set-ASIC
> 5MB RAM (1MB of DRAM, 4MB of Flash RAM) 8MB of mask ROM Low-power,
> transflective 4.9-in. by 3.3-in. (129.8-mm by 83.2-mm) liquid crystal
> display (480 by 320 pixels at 100 dpi, with 16-level gray scale and EL
> backlight)
>
> That's about 8% - 90% of the size of A6, in each direction, A6 being
> 148.5mm x 105mm.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that is much closer to PDA size than I was
looking for. I guess I'm really after a screen size of 9-11 inches
diagonal, without the clumsy fold-out keyboard of a laptop.

--

Cheers
aum

Philip

aum wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 16:06:30 +1300, Bruce Hoult wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> aum <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend me to a portable computing device that has a screen
>>> size somewhere between a PDA and a laptop? For instance, approximately the
>>> area of an A5 sheet of paper?

>> Um. A5 is 210mm x 148.5mm. That's 10.1" diagonal, which *is* laptop
>> size.

> Bloody small laptop. My common-size laptop has a 14" diagonal.
>
> I saw a bleeding-edge tablet PC (touchscreen, no keyboard, not just a
> touchscreen-capable laptop) at computer city, but their website is down so
> I can't investigate further
>
>>> Touch-screen preferred, ability to plug in PS/2 keyboard desirable but
>>> not essential.

>> A used Newton.
>> They come up on trademe from time to time.
>>
>> From http://static.the-gadgeteer.com/newton.html:
>>
>> Size (inches): 1.12x4.7x8.3
>> Weight (ounces): 22.4
>> StrongARM SA-110 RISC processor at 160 MHz Newton custom system chip
>> set-ASIC
>> 5MB RAM (1MB of DRAM, 4MB of Flash RAM) 8MB of mask ROM Low-power,
>> transflective 4.9-in. by 3.3-in. (129.8-mm by 83.2-mm) liquid crystal
>> display (480 by 320 pixels at 100 dpi, with 16-level gray scale and EL
>> backlight)
>>
>> That's about 8% - 90% of the size of A6, in each direction, A6 being
>> 148.5mm x 105mm.

> Thanks for the suggestion, but that is much closer to PDA size than I was
> looking for. I guess I'm really after a screen size of 9-11 inches
> diagonal, without the clumsy fold-out keyboard of a laptop.

I'm using my Psion NetBook, running the "Sargebook" variant of Debian Linux.

It has touchscreen, wireless & wired networking, and batteries that last
from 8 to 10 hours between charges.

They're on eBay for around $NZ 350, and good value too.

You could try running its original OS - EPOC, later Symbian, but it's
not longer supported on the netBook, and I don't know if there are
converters for the various e-book formats.

If you were to get one, you'd probably have to install your own
Saregebook OS on it (available free, I would be happy to share experiences).

Philip