Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Procmail

Procmail

Shane

Ive been putting off using procmail for some time (I see procrastination
as an art form) Ive read a few hundred "how to's" and they all seem
complicated. Up till now Ive been using a home rolled perl script that
loads each mail, reads the headers, and then onsends the mail to the
appropriate mailbox however this is becoming unfeasible as I have just
subscribed to half a dozen mailing lists

So...
How the hell do I integrate procmail into my server Postfix + Courier Imap
+ Spamassassin + Clamav

<cue stunned look>

--
Saliva causes cancer, but only if swallowed in small amounts over a long
period of time.

Steve

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 07:34:09 +1300, Shane wrote:

> Ive been putting off using procmail for some time (I see procrastination
> as an art form) Ive read a few hundred "how to's" and they all seem
> complicated. Up till now Ive been using a home rolled perl script that
> loads each mail, reads the headers, and then onsends the mail to the
> appropriate mailbox however this is becoming unfeasible as I have just
> subscribed to half a dozen mailing lists
>
> So...
> How the hell do I integrate procmail into my server Postfix + Courier Imap
> + Spamassassin + Clamav
>

> <cue stunned look>

You need to tell postfix to use procmail as your local delivery agent
Then add rules to ~/.procmailrc like

MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log

:0
* ^Reply-To:.*@somegroup
$MAILDIR/.somegroup/

etc. The really important bit is the trailing /, which tells procmail to
deliver to maildir, rather than mailfile which is what courier uses.

Unfortunately, I can only tell you how to integrate with sendmail, not
procmail. Your courier imap server doesn't need to be touched. Google
points me to http://www.postfix.org/faq.html#procmail, which tells me you
need to add the line
mailbox_command = /path/to/procmail
to /etc/postfix/main.cf and that's it.

hth,

Steve

Shane

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:25:05 +1300, Steve wrote:

Thanks for that Steve,
After spending a good part of the day banging my head on my desk I asked
#postfix on freenode (authors of the tutorial I used for setting up my
mailserver) and one very kindly told me the following

"IINM the workaround.org HOWTO is for setting up virtual_mailbox_domains,
and procmail only works for local( accounts, i.e., real shell accounts.
Check out Courier maildrop"

IOW (very unlike me of course) I was barking up the wrong frikkin tree!!!!
I am now consoling myself to the fact that a light has appeared in the
tunnel, and the neighbours are pleased the language has toned down for a
bit

--
"Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk ?"
(By http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de, Felix von Leitner)

Procmail to ruby Mislav Kasner Ruby 3 11-06-2007 05:02 PM
Procmail Regex Indo Geek Computer Support 2 05-11-2007 05:27 PM
Another procmail configuration Pet Farrari Perl 3 01-28-2007 09:30 PM
removing procmail garbage surfergirl@thebeach.com Perl 1 11-15-2006 05:11 PM
Mail filtering without procmail using webmail client J Cardella Perl Misc 3 09-28-2004 05:04 PM

Advertisments