Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Firefox / Java applet woes under ubuntu.

Firefox / Java applet woes under ubuntu.

Pacific Dragon

Another question for the Linux Gurus (thank you to those who responded
regarding my apt-get problem I had)...

The new angst I am encountering is that I am having persistent problems
with some sites that contain java applets when viewing them under Firefox
1.07 in Ubuntu breezy. For example every time I visit the below sites...

http://www.nzccy.co.nz
http://www.brilliantfunds.com/main.php

Once the sun Java plug in loads, Firefox will just freeze solid bogging
down the whole system with it until I get around to killing off the
Firefox process. I've updated to the latest Sun Java run time but the
problem continues to persist.

Curiously enough, this does not happen on all sites, but it happens
enough to be of an extreme annoyance.

Does anyone know what could be going on here, what may be causing the
problem and how can I address it? I've viewed these sites using FireFox
1.07 under a Windows 2000 environment and they appear to display fine
along with any java applets.

Many thanks for any assistance / pointers.

AD.

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:45:57 +1300, Pacific Dragon wrote:

> Another question for the Linux Gurus (thank you to those who responded
> regarding my apt-get problem I had)...
>
> The new angst I am encountering is that I am having persistent problems
> with some sites that contain java applets when viewing them under Firefox
> 1.07 in Ubuntu breezy. For example every time I visit the below sites...
>
> http://www.nzccy.co.nz
> http://www.brilliantfunds.com/main.php
>
> Once the sun Java plug in loads, Firefox will just freeze solid bogging
> down the whole system with it until I get around to killing off the
> Firefox process. I've updated to the latest Sun Java run time but the
> problem continues to persist.

I suspect it would be something like the plugin and Firefox being built
with different versions of gcc.

I had a similar problem a couple of years back when Debian Sid changed
from gcc 2.x to gcc 3.x. The rest of Debian handled the transition
relatively well, but the closed source Java plugin from Sun was still
built with gcc 2.x while Firefox was now built with 3.x. The plugin would
freeze Firefox. Later on Sun released a gcc 3.x version that worked fine.

I think the new Ubuntu version uses gcc 4.x while the plugin probably
still uses gcc 3.x.

Hope that helps (a little bit).

--
Cheers