Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What is this?

What is this?

~misfit~

Every so often a box appears by my systray and the AVG icon spins. It says:
"AutoPOP3: connecting to ip 141-58-173-82.dyndsl.versatel.nl" Needless to
say I don't have anything to do with versatel, no account with them or
anything.

I've done a full virus scan and ran Adaware and Spybot and they all found
nothing. I have no idea what's happening. OS: XP Pro sp2.

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,
--
~misfit~ (Arghh! It's doing it again. The box is titled "AVG E-mail
Scanner". I'm not sure but I think it only does it when I have OE open, I've

Krazy Bob

news:43c0c5fd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Every so often a box appears by my systray and the AVG icon spins. It
> says: "AutoPOP3: connecting to ip 141-58-173-82.dyndsl.versatel.nl"
> Needless to say I don't have anything to do with versatel, no account with
> them or anything.
>
> I've done a full virus scan and ran Adaware and Spybot and they all found
> nothing. I have no idea what's happening. OS: XP Pro sp2.
>
> Anyone know what's going on?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> ~misfit~ (Arghh! It's doing it again. The box is titled "AVG E-mail
> Scanner". I'm not sure but I think it only does it when I have OE open,
> I've checked to see if somehow an entry got into the 'accounts' part but
> all that's there is Orcon's NNTP server. I don't use OE for email. It
> stays there for about 2 - 3 minutes sometimes before vanishing).

Well POP3 is to do with email accounts, so maybe a programe *malware
spyware* is trying to send email outs?

Have you tried house call to do their free online virus / spyware scan?
i know you said you ran spybot and ad-aware, but what have you got to lose?

also on off topic note, i got my comp to reconise my cd-rw, and can
sucessfully write to it now, but still nero fails on me :-s

KB

-=rjh=-

~misfit~ wrote:
> Every so often a box appears by my systray and the AVG icon spins. It says:
> "AutoPOP3: connecting to ip 141-58-173-82.dyndsl.versatel.nl" Needless to
> say I don't have anything to do with versatel, no account with them or
> anything.
>
> I've done a full virus scan and ran Adaware and Spybot and they all found
> nothing. I have no idea what's happening. OS: XP Pro sp2.
>
> Anyone know what's going on?
>
> Thanks,

http://www.google.com/search?q=AutoPOP3%3A+connecting gives a lot of
similar experiences, possibly some answers.

steve

~misfit~ wrote:

> Every so often a box appears by my systray and the AVG icon spins. It
> says: "AutoPOP3: connecting to ip 141-58-173-82.dyndsl.versatel.nl"
> Needless to say I don't have anything to do with versatel, no account with
> them or anything.
>
> I've done a full virus scan and ran Adaware and Spybot and they all found
> nothing. I have no idea what's happening. OS: XP Pro sp2.
>
> Anyone know what's going on?
>
> Thanks,

This thread from the grisoft forums is relevant:

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/re...ckpage=119,sv=

....and this one;

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/re...backpage=3,sv=

.....and this thread - read the whole thing - is down right SCARY.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=408888

server before downloading it.

'autopop3' popups are the notification it is doing this.

Why it is accessing a DSL-connected system on a Dutch ISP is some cause for
concern. Something on your system is looking for mail there.

One thread (above) speculates on rootkits hicing from AVG and talking to
mail servers - traffic being proxied by AVG.

This is either just some stupid message from AVG....or you've got something
on your system (legitimate or not) trying to do mail traffic you don't know
about.

A virus? Or some app behaving as normal - but you don't know what that
'normal" is?

E. Scrooge

news:43c0c5fd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Every so often a box appears by my systray and the AVG icon spins. It
> says: "AutoPOP3: connecting to ip 141-58-173-82.dyndsl.versatel.nl"
> Needless to say I don't have anything to do with versatel, no account with
> them or anything.
>
> I've done a full virus scan and ran Adaware and Spybot and they all found
> nothing. I have no idea what's happening. OS: XP Pro sp2.
>
> Anyone know what's going on?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> ~misfit~ (Arghh! It's doing it again. The box is titled "AVG E-mail
> Scanner". I'm not sure but I think it only does it when I have OE open,
> I've checked to see if somehow an entry got into the 'accounts' part but
> all that's there is Orcon's NNTP server. I don't use OE for email. It
> stays there for about 2 - 3 minutes sometimes before vanishing).

http://news.com.com/Antivirus+makers...l?tag=nefd.top

Check out how well AVG did in some Anti Virus tests.
The good news is that AVG wasn't bottom.

Just remember that the tests are only a snapshot at the time - many updates
have been done since by some of the Anti Virus products at least.

The other good news is that AVG is better than nothing at all.

E. Scrooge

~misfit~

-=rjh=- wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Every so often a box appears by my systray and the AVG icon spins.
>> It says: "AutoPOP3: connecting to ip
>> 141-58-173-82.dyndsl.versatel.nl" Needless to say I don't have
>> anything to do with versatel, no account with them or anything.
>>
>> I've done a full virus scan and ran Adaware and Spybot and they all
>> found nothing. I have no idea what's happening. OS: XP Pro sp2.
>>
>> Anyone know what's going on?
>>
>> Thanks,

> http://www.google.com/search?q=AutoPOP3%3A+connecting gives a lot of
> similar experiences, possibly some answers.

Thanks for that.

Wow! My head hurts. I've read a whole bunch of pages but no definitive
answer. It has nothing to do with OE as it happens when OE isn't running. In
fact it doesn't matter what programs are running, it just shows up
periodically.

I figure it isn't actually getting through so I might try a re-install of
AVG first (though I doubt that's the problem) and then turn off the email
scanner if a reinstall doesn't fix it. I'm using Calypso for email, I don't
think it's vulnerable to anything other than opening attachments, like all
email proggies.

Thanks for the help.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Krazy Bob wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43c0c5fd$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Every so often a box appears by my systray and the AVG icon spins. It
>> says: "AutoPOP3: connecting to ip 141-58-173-82.dyndsl.versatel.nl"
>> Needless to say I don't have anything to do with versatel, no
>> account with them or anything.
>>
>> I've done a full virus scan and ran Adaware and Spybot and they all
>> found nothing. I have no idea what's happening. OS: XP Pro sp2.
>>
>> Anyone know what's going on?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> ~misfit~ (Arghh! It's doing it again. The box is titled "AVG E-mail
>> Scanner". I'm not sure but I think it only does it when I have OE
>> open, I've checked to see if somehow an entry got into the
>> 'accounts' part but all that's there is Orcon's NNTP server. I don't
>> use OE for email. It stays there for about 2 - 3 minutes sometimes
>> before vanishing).

> Well POP3 is to do with email accounts, so maybe a programe *malware
> spyware* is trying to send email outs?
>
> Have you tried house call to do their free online virus / spyware
> scan? i know you said you ran spybot and ad-aware, but what have you got
> lose?

No, I haven't. Might give it a go.

There's some weird **** going on with your hardware matey.
--
~misfit~

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sun, 08 Jan 2006 23:01:39 +1300 when I remembered steve

>This is either just some stupid message from AVG....or you've got something
>on your system (legitimate or not) trying to do mail traffic you don't know
>about.

Not great stuff. First thing I'd do would be block access to that IP
or range of IP using your firewall. At least that'll stop any further
communication to that IP addy.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Krazy Bob

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Krazy Bob wrote:
>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:43c0c5fd$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Every so often a box appears by my systray and the AVG icon spins. It
>>> says: "AutoPOP3: connecting to ip 141-58-173-82.dyndsl.versatel.nl"
>>> Needless to say I don't have anything to do with versatel, no
>>> account with them or anything.
>>>
>>> I've done a full virus scan and ran Adaware and Spybot and they all
>>> found nothing. I have no idea what's happening. OS: XP Pro sp2.
>>>
>>> Anyone know what's going on?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> ~misfit~ (Arghh! It's doing it again. The box is titled "AVG E-mail
>>> Scanner". I'm not sure but I think it only does it when I have OE
>>> open, I've checked to see if somehow an entry got into the
>>> 'accounts' part but all that's there is Orcon's NNTP server. I don't
>>> use OE for email. It stays there for about 2 - 3 minutes sometimes
>>> before vanishing).

>> Well POP3 is to do with email accounts, so maybe a programe *malware
>> spyware* is trying to send email outs?
>>
>> Have you tried house call to do their free online virus / spyware
>> scan? i know you said you ran spybot and ad-aware, but what have you got
>> lose?

> No, I haven't. Might give it a go.
>
>> also on off topic note, i got my comp to reconise my cd-rw, and can
>> sucessfully write to it now, but still nero fails on me :-s

> There's some weird **** going on with your hardware matey.
> --
> ~misfit~

Don't i no it

KB

~misfit~

steve wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Every so often a box appears by my systray and the AVG icon spins. It
>> says: "AutoPOP3: connecting to ip 141-58-173-82.dyndsl.versatel.nl"
>> Needless to say I don't have anything to do with versatel, no
>> account with them or anything.
>>
>> I've done a full virus scan and ran Adaware and Spybot and they all
>> found nothing. I have no idea what's happening. OS: XP Pro sp2.
>>
>> Anyone know what's going on?
>>
>> Thanks,

> This thread from the grisoft forums is relevant:
>
> http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/re...ckpage=119,sv=
>
> ...and this one;
>
> http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/re...backpage=3,sv=
>
> ....and this thread - read the whole thing - is down right SCARY.
>
> http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=408888

> a mail server before downloading it.
>
> 'autopop3' popups are the notification it is doing this.

The strange thing is, I don't see a similar message when I'm downloading
legitimate emails.

> Why it is accessing a DSL-connected system on a Dutch ISP is some
> cause for concern. Something on your system is looking for mail there.

Yeah.

> One thread (above) speculates on rootkits hicing from AVG and talking
> to mail servers - traffic being proxied by AVG.

I've read heaps about the phenomena now, it seems that it's quite
wide-spread.

> This is either just some stupid message from AVG....or you've got
> something on your system (legitimate or not) trying to do mail
> traffic you don't know about.

I'm leaning toward the "AVG is borked" camp. I think it may be an AVG
glitch, a phantom thing. (I hope so anyway). I've uninstalled, deleted
registry entries and the Grisoft folder, then downloaded the latest version,
updated and haven't had the problem since. I hope it stays that way.

> A virus? Or some app behaving as normal - but you don't know what that
> 'normal" is?

I doubt it's some app behaving as normal... Unless it has something to do
with Gmail notifier. That's the problem with a lot of these refrences on the
net, you don't know what other software you may have in common.

Thanks for your time, hopefully the re-install has fixed it.
--
~misfit~