Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Digital video camera woes....

Digital video camera woes....

XPD

Recently purchased a digital video camera (Hitachi DZ-MV550E) and have
figured out most of it, but Im having problems getting the video to burn to
normal DVD properly..... the files save as "VRO", which appears to be just a
diff extn of VOB. (I use the supplied DVD-RAM disc)
Now if I try adding that VRO file into Nero to burn as a normal DVD, it only
seems to recognise the 1st few minutes of the file... ie: 20min video
footage, but nero only views 3mins. So thats no use to me... so tried
TMPGEnc DVD Author which recognises the files, and converts them to a
standard format but I lose sound within 10secs of playing the file back.

Using the supplied software (Sonic My DVD) appears to be a waste of time, it
just wont import or recognise anything form the camera.

Anyone else got a similar camera (these are EXACTLY the same as the
Panasonic cameras released around the same time) and sucessfully made a
fully working DVD ?

E. Scrooge

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently purchased a digital video camera (Hitachi DZ-MV550E) and have
> figured out most of it, but Im having problems getting the video to burn
> to normal DVD properly..... the files save as "VRO", which appears to be
> just a diff extn of VOB. (I use the supplied DVD-RAM disc)
> Now if I try adding that VRO file into Nero to burn as a normal DVD, it
> only seems to recognise the 1st few minutes of the file... ie: 20min video
> footage, but nero only views 3mins. So thats no use to me... so tried
> TMPGEnc DVD Author which recognises the files, and converts them to a
> standard format but I lose sound within 10secs of playing the file back.
>
> Using the supplied software (Sonic My DVD) appears to be a waste of time,
> it just wont import or recognise anything form the camera.
>
> Anyone else got a similar camera (these are EXACTLY the same as the
> Panasonic cameras released around the same time) and sucessfully made a
> fully working DVD ?

Give Cyberlinks Power Producer a go at it.

E. Scrooge

Peter S

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently purchased a digital video camera (Hitachi DZ-MV550E) and have
> figured out most of it, but Im having problems getting the video to burn
> to normal DVD properly..... the files save as "VRO", which appears to be
> just a diff extn of VOB. (I use the supplied DVD-RAM disc)
> Now if I try adding that VRO file into Nero to burn as a normal DVD, it
> only seems to recognise the 1st few minutes of the file... ie: 20min video
> footage, but nero only views 3mins. So thats no use to me... so tried
> TMPGEnc DVD Author which recognises the files, and converts them to a
> standard format but I lose sound within 10secs of playing the file back.
>
> Using the supplied software (Sonic My DVD) appears to be a waste of time,
> it just wont import or recognise anything form the camera.
>
> Anyone else got a similar camera (these are EXACTLY the same as the
> Panasonic cameras released around the same time) and sucessfully made a
> fully working DVD ?

Hmm, I use Sonic MyDVD and I think its a brilliant product, I've had great
success with it. I will probaby purchase an upgrade at some point.

To capture video from the camera itself however, I use the Microsoft Windows
Movie Maker software. That too is well designed, although it can be a little
flaky.

So, if you can get the camera to output the video along a firewire
connection (it must be firewire/1394, not USB, no matter what anyone says)
then capture using Windows Movie Maker, which exports AVI. This imports into
Sonic MyDVD very well.

Hope this helps in some way.
Pete.

Mutley

"Peter S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Recently purchased a digital video camera (Hitachi DZ-MV550E) and have
>> figured out most of it, but Im having problems getting the video to burn
>> to normal DVD properly..... the files save as "VRO", which appears to be
>> just a diff extn of VOB. (I use the supplied DVD-RAM disc)
>> Now if I try adding that VRO file into Nero to burn as a normal DVD, it
>> only seems to recognise the 1st few minutes of the file... ie: 20min video
>> footage, but nero only views 3mins. So thats no use to me... so tried
>> TMPGEnc DVD Author which recognises the files, and converts them to a
>> standard format but I lose sound within 10secs of playing the file back.
>>
>> Using the supplied software (Sonic My DVD) appears to be a waste of time,
>> it just wont import or recognise anything form the camera.
>>
>> Anyone else got a similar camera (these are EXACTLY the same as the
>> Panasonic cameras released around the same time) and sucessfully made a
>> fully working DVD ?

>Hmm, I use Sonic MyDVD and I think its a brilliant product, I've had great
>success with it. I will probaby purchase an upgrade at some point.
>
>To capture video from the camera itself however, I use the Microsoft Windows
>Movie Maker software. That too is well designed, although it can be a little
>flaky.
>
>So, if you can get the camera to output the video along a firewire
>connection (it must be firewire/1394, not USB, no matter what anyone says)
>then capture using Windows Movie Maker, which exports AVI. This imports into
>Sonic MyDVD very well.
>
>Hope this helps in some way.
>Pete.

Pete.

This is a DVD Camcorder and you have to transfer the files to your
edit as from another PC on the USB interface or have a burner that
can read DVD-RAM media.. No Firewire

XPD
... Have you tried renaming the files with an MPG extension??

XPD

"Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Pete.
>
> This is a DVD Camcorder and you have to transfer the files to your
> edit as from another PC on the USB interface or have a burner that
> can read DVD-RAM media.. No Firewire
>
> XPD
> .. Have you tried renaming the files with an MPG extension??

Thanks all, but have found a way which apparently works.... Will try
tomorrow and post results.