Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL debian internet woes

ADSL debian internet woes

brendon ryniker

Steve wrote:

> This uses dhcp to deliver you an IP address. Test this manually

using the
> command
>
> dhclient eth0
>
> If this returns a decent reply, and allocates 10.1.1.x then all is fine.
>
> Can you try adding the line
> nameserver 10.1.1.1
> at the top of /etc/resolv.conf?

> Also, is the definition for eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces sset to dhcp?

There's no problem with IP allocation - or DNS *particularly*. DNS just
happens to be one of the many things I can't reach. And yes to the
interfaces entry question; that's the weird thing - everything seems
just fine at this end.

> Finally, there's been a load of problems lately with xtra connections
> which have been fixed by rebooting your router. This is the most likely
> problem.

And the first thing I try every morning ...

> BTW I'm on debian unstable with a 2.6.15 kernel, and even wireless
> networking is working, so IT WILL WORK (:

Thanks for that - At the very least it disproves my wilder fantasies of
linux-specific routing failures at xtra.

cheers
/b/

Shane

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:51:09 +1300, brendon ryniker wrote:

> Enkidu wrote:
>
>> I can ping that IP address that you gave as an external gateway,
>> Brendon, so the networking seems OK. What happens when you pick an
>> address out there and you traceroute it, rather than ping it? Do you get
>> any further out?
>>

> traceroute to 72.14.207.104 (72.14.207.104), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
> 1 * * *
> 2 * * *
> 3 * * *
> 4 * * *
> 5 * * *
> 6 * * *
> 7 * * *
>
> etc...
>
> nope.
>
> And yeah, guess I shoulda mentioned that if I use this laptop here with
> win2K on it, everything is fine & dandy.
>
> /b/

If you have 2 machines there.. run a packet sniffer and watch the traffic
between the debian box and the intarweb
A good windows packet sniffer (free) can be found at
http://www.zone-h.org/download/file=4278/
NetworkActivSnifferV1.4.exe (280 KB, downloads: 6450)
NetworkActivSniffer v1.4.2.2 is a packet sniffer for Windows 2000/XP. Can
filter on IP address, port, packet size, protocol, or sub-string
searching of packet content. Also, you can search for a sub-string within
the current list of packets, save the list of packets to a text file,
view the contents of each packet, and more. Also can sniff and analyze
HTTP. Homepage: http://www.networkactiv.com. By Mike J. Kowalski

What were the other programs you updated?
Did you use a generic kernel, or did you compile your own?

<close to waving the Im stumped flag>

--
We are not a clone.

Enkidu

brendon ryniker wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>
>> I can ping that IP address that you gave as an external gateway,
>> Brendon, so the networking seems OK. What happens when you pick an
>> address out there and you traceroute it, rather than ping it? Do you
>> get any further out?
>>

> traceroute to 72.14.207.104 (72.14.207.104), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
> 1 * * *
> 2 * * *
> etc...
>
> nope.
>
> And yeah, guess I shoulda mentioned that if I use this laptop here with
> win2K on it, everything is fine & dandy.

Mmmm, can you ping the one from the other?

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

Steve wrote:

> Can you try adding the line
> nameserver 10.1.1.1
> at the top of /etc/resolv.conf?

Good point.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

Shane wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:19:54 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>

>>brendon ryniker wrote:

>>>thanks shane (& cliff - hello). The DNS ain't the problem per se -
>>>merely offered as a (potentially bogus, apparently) example of my
>>>inability to ping damn near anything apart from either end of my
>>>immediate connxn to the xtra net. I appreciate the modem's role in IP
>>>assignation etc, cliff and have rebooted the little fecker many times,
>>>shane. I can't ping google by name (obviously) but neither can I ping it
>>>by IP. The box considers the network reachable, but the ping never
>>>returns. This is the crux of my problem. The external xtra gateway is
>>>the farthest (furtherest?) I can successfully ping.
>>>
>>>Don't appear to have the nc utility, shane.
>>>

>>I can ping that IP address that you gave as an external gateway, Brendon,
>>so the networking seems OK. What happens when you pick an address out
>>there and you traceroute it, rather than ping it? Do you get any further
>>out?

> The network *must* be OK (hes here on windows)
> The only other thing I can think of is firewall issues

Good point.

Brendan, did you by any chance install SELinux or Bastille, or some
other Linux 'hardener'?

If you can post the results of

iptables -L -n -x

without giving too much away, it might help. Also this might help

iptables -t nat -L -n -x

Cheers,

Cliff

brendon ryniker

Enkidu wrote:

> Brendan, did you by any chance install SELinux or Bastille, or some
> other Linux 'hardener'?

nope.

> If you can post the results of
>
> iptables -L -n -x

Currently:

der:/home/brendon# iptables -L -n -x
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

> without giving too much away, it might help. Also this might help
>
> iptables -t nat -L -n -x

Nope. BTW, I notice that /etc/init.d/rc.firewall did not have execute
bit set, and anyway, had no links to rc*.d directories. Presumably this
file was installed during the upgrade of iptables concurrent with kernel
upgrade? Anyway, to my largely ignorant eye it looks like iptables is
doing no filtering at all to speak of?

cheers,
/b/

Mark Robinson

brendon ryniker wrote:
> I run debian [unstable] GNU/Linux and recently upgraded my kernel (via
> synaptic) to 2.6.12. This left me unable to use the internet as
> explained below - or let's say that it was at this time that my internet
> connxn turned bad.
>
> Down here in Kakanui, just south of Oamaru, I'm currently obliged to use
> xtra as an ISP, ie: ADSL. I am supplied with a D-Link DSL-302G ADSL
> modem.

Contrary to other reports I suspect your kernel upgrade is at the heart of your
problems.

The change from 2.6.11 to 2.6.12 in Debian unstable sees a change in the USB
subsystem from hotplug to udev. Sadly the developers responsible don't have any
problem with using two incompatible systems with a single point change of
kernel version, and they are intransigent in the face of requests and patches
to add code to handle the problem intelligently.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=udev

If you can't get your modem to work with udev (as I couldn't with various USB
devices) i suggest you either downgrade the kernel (perhaps reinstating
hotplug) or use the ethernet port on the modem rather than the USB one.

thingy

Mark Robinson wrote:
> brendon ryniker wrote:
>
>> I run debian [unstable] GNU/Linux and recently upgraded my kernel (via
>> synaptic) to 2.6.12. This left me unable to use the internet as
>> explained below - or let's say that it was at this time that my
>> internet connxn turned bad.
>>
>> Down here in Kakanui, just south of Oamaru, I'm currently obliged to
>> use xtra as an ISP, ie: ADSL. I am supplied with a D-Link DSL-302G
>> ADSL modem.

> Contrary to other reports I suspect your kernel upgrade is at the heart
> of your problems.
>
> The change from 2.6.11 to 2.6.12 in Debian unstable sees a change in the
> USB subsystem from hotplug to udev. Sadly the developers responsible
> don't have any problem with using two incompatible systems with a single
> point change of kernel version, and they are intransigent in the face of
> requests and patches to add code to handle the problem intelligently.
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=udev
>
> If you can't get your modem to work with udev (as I couldn't with
> various USB devices) i suggest you either downgrade the kernel (perhaps
> reinstating hotplug) or use the ethernet port on the modem rather than
> the USB one.

Your in Debian un-stable, expect such issues FFS. Bugs and problems get
fixed in order of priority....

You should not be running unstable....it is for bleeding edge people to
debug future code, if you find an issue its expected you report it and
fix it your self....

[re]-install a 2.4 kernel.......

Better go back to 3.1, from the post you are best advised not to run
un-stable, it will have a lot of bugs and you are going to meet them...

regards

Thing