Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows XP user interface question

Windows XP user interface question

news.xtra.co.nz

I keep all my important files in "my documents" folder to make backups easy.

Often, I just temporarily dump 'working' files onto my desktop while i am
currently using them so they are easy to find.

But, then, if I want to move the 'Working file' into "My documents" (so it
is included in my backup), but wish keep a link to the 'working file' on my
desktop i have to do the following.....

1. Move the 'working file' from my desktop to 'My Documents'.

2. Open 'My documents' and find the original 'working file'

3. Right click the 'working file' in 'my documents', and click 'Send to
Desktop'

Is there a way to do the above in one step? eg, is there some key
combination i can press that will do this when dragging the 'working file'
from my desktop to the 'my documents' folder? I guess , the operation would
be called...

Move file to new folder, and create link to the moved file at the old
location.

JC

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> I keep all my important files in "my documents" folder to make backups easy.
>
> Often, I just temporarily dump 'working' files onto my desktop while i am
> currently using them so they are easy to find.
>
> But, then, if I want to move the 'Working file' into "My documents" (so it
> is included in my backup), but wish keep a link to the 'working file' on my
> desktop i have to do the following.....
>
> 1. Move the 'working file' from my desktop to 'My Documents'.
>
> 2. Open 'My documents' and find the original 'working file'
>
> 3. Right click the 'working file' in 'my documents', and click 'Send to
> Desktop'
>
> Is there a way to do the above in one step? eg, is there some key
> combination i can press that will do this when dragging the 'working file'
> from my desktop to the 'my documents' folder? I guess , the operation would
> be called...
>
> Move file to new folder, and create link to the moved file at the old
> location.

Move file to My Documents, right click it and choose - send to Desktop
(create shortcut) ?

news.xtra.co.nz

"JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:dphose$jpv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>> I keep all my important files in "my documents" folder to make backups
>> easy.
>>
>> Often, I just temporarily dump 'working' files onto my desktop while i am
>> currently using them so they are easy to find.
>>
>> But, then, if I want to move the 'Working file' into "My documents" (so
>> it is included in my backup), but wish keep a link to the 'working file'
>> on my desktop i have to do the following.....
>>
>> 1. Move the 'working file' from my desktop to 'My Documents'.
>>
>> 2. Open 'My documents' and find the original 'working file'
>>
>> 3. Right click the 'working file' in 'my documents', and click 'Send to
>> Desktop'
>>
>> Is there a way to do the above in one step? eg, is there some key
>> combination i can press that will do this when dragging the 'working
>> file' from my desktop to the 'my documents' folder? I guess , the
>> operation would be called...
>>
>> Move file to new folder, and create link to the moved file at the old
>> location.
>>

> Move file to My Documents, right click it and choose - send to Desktop
> (create shortcut) ?

thats what i do now...i was looking for a shorter way thanks

JC

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> "JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:dphose$jpv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>>
>>>I keep all my important files in "my documents" folder to make backups
>>>easy.
>>>
>>>Often, I just temporarily dump 'working' files onto my desktop while i am
>>>currently using them so they are easy to find.
>>>
>>>But, then, if I want to move the 'Working file' into "My documents" (so
>>>it is included in my backup), but wish keep a link to the 'working file'
>>>on my desktop i have to do the following.....
>>>
>>>1. Move the 'working file' from my desktop to 'My Documents'.
>>>
>>>2. Open 'My documents' and find the original 'working file'
>>>
>>>3. Right click the 'working file' in 'my documents', and click 'Send to
>>>Desktop'
>>>
>>>Is there a way to do the above in one step? eg, is there some key
>>>combination i can press that will do this when dragging the 'working
>>>file' from my desktop to the 'my documents' folder? I guess , the
>>>operation would be called...
>>>
>>>Move file to new folder, and create link to the moved file at the old
>>>location.
>>>

>>Move file to My Documents, right click it and choose - send to Desktop
>>(create shortcut) ?

> thats what i do now...i was looking for a shorter way thanks

Ops, I should read better, sorry.

Jerry

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
> I keep all my important files in "my documents" folder to make backups easy.
>
> Often, I just temporarily dump 'working' files onto my desktop while i am
> currently using them so they are easy to find.
>
> But, then, if I want to move the 'Working file' into "My documents" (so it
> is included in my backup), but wish keep a link to the 'working file' on my
> desktop i have to do the following.....
>
> 1. Move the 'working file' from my desktop to 'My Documents'.
>
> 2. Open 'My documents' and find the original 'working file'
>
> 3. Right click the 'working file' in 'my documents', and click 'Send to
> Desktop'
>
> Is there a way to do the above in one step? eg, is there some key
> combination i can press that will do this when dragging the 'working file'
> from my desktop to the 'my documents' folder? I guess , the operation would
> be called...
>
> Move file to new folder, and create link to the moved file at the old
> location.

in XP your desktop is already in your my documents folder

news.xtra.co.nz

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>> I keep all my important files in "my documents" folder to make backups
>> easy.
>>
>> Often, I just temporarily dump 'working' files onto my desktop while i am
>> currently using them so they are easy to find.
>>
>> But, then, if I want to move the 'Working file' into "My documents" (so
>> it is included in my backup), but wish keep a link to the 'working file'
>> on my desktop i have to do the following.....
>>
>> 1. Move the 'working file' from my desktop to 'My Documents'.
>>
>> 2. Open 'My documents' and find the original 'working file'
>>
>> 3. Right click the 'working file' in 'my documents', and click 'Send to
>> Desktop'
>>
>> Is there a way to do the above in one step? eg, is there some key
>> combination i can press that will do this when dragging the 'working
>> file' from my desktop to the 'my documents' folder? I guess , the
>> operation would be called...
>>
>> Move file to new folder, and create link to the moved file at the old
>> location.
>>

> in XP your desktop is already in your my documents folder

Nah, it's not , I changed the default location - and, i only backup stuff in
my documents. Desktop contains lots of other ****.

Impossible

"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%K2vf.12547$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>>> I keep all my important files in "my documents" folder to make
>>> backups easy.
>>>
>>> Often, I just temporarily dump 'working' files onto my desktop
>>> while i am currently using them so they are easy to find.
>>>
>>> But, then, if I want to move the 'Working file' into "My
>>> documents" (so it is included in my backup), but wish keep a link
>>> to the 'working file' on my desktop i have to do the
>>> following.....
>>>
>>> 1. Move the 'working file' from my desktop to 'My Documents'.
>>>
>>> 2. Open 'My documents' and find the original 'working file'
>>>
>>> 3. Right click the 'working file' in 'my documents', and click
>>> 'Send to Desktop'
>>>
>>> Is there a way to do the above in one step? eg, is there some key
>>> combination i can press that will do this when dragging the
>>> 'working file' from my desktop to the 'my documents' folder? I
>>> guess , the operation would be called...
>>>
>>> Move file to new folder, and create link to the moved file at the
>>> old location.
>>>

>> in XP your desktop is already in your my documents folder

> Nah, it's not , I changed the default location - and, i only backup
> stuff in my documents. Desktop contains lots of other ****.

Maybe this doesn't suit your working style, but instead of dumping
your working files on the desktop, why not just drag and drop a link
there to begin with? Right-click any file (or selection of several
files) in Explorer, drag to the desktop, and you'll have the option to
copy, move, or create a link -- easy as that.

news.xtra.co.nz

"Impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%K2vf.12547$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> in XP your desktop is already in your my documents folder

>> Nah, it's not , I changed the default location - and, i only backup stuff
>> in my documents. Desktop contains lots of other ****.
>>

> Maybe this doesn't suit your working style, but instead of dumping your
> working files on the desktop, why not just drag and drop a link there to
> begin with? Right-click any file (or selection of several files) in
> Explorer, drag to the desktop, and you'll have the option to copy, move,
> or create a link -- easy as that.

yeah good point -but at the time i don't know if i really want the files. i
do a clean up every few days discarding/moving various stuff off the
desktop.

Maybe this is only a prob for me? i can't expect MS to develop bespoke os
for me

But, lately i have been looking at the way i backup and have been
reorganising things to make stuff ASAP (a simple as possible) cos i am lazy.