Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Slimline digital cameras - recommendations?

Slimline digital cameras - recommendations?

mark

I'm wanting to upgrade to a slimline camera that doesn't cost the earth,
supports (preferrably) SD memory cards, and AA or AAA NiHM batteries.

Is such a beast available in New Zealand at a price that won't buy a second
hand car?

Cheers,
Mark

Maximum Damage

mark wrote:
> I'm wanting to upgrade to a slimline camera that doesn't cost the earth,
> supports (preferrably) SD memory cards, and AA or AAA NiHM batteries.
>
> Is such a beast available in New Zealand at a price that won't buy a second
> hand car?
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

The term Slimline and AA - AAA batteries are mutually exclusive. I have
a Canon IXUS 50 that I'm very happy with. It's the same size as a
packet of cigarettes...

On Special at Bond n Bond for $499.

I got mine one from DSE for $449 after they price matched a place in
Auckland, they thought long and hard b4 they did it It lists there
for $598

Rob J

In article <Xns97429D9697A3sometimes2003@60.234.1.32>, sometimes2003
@softhome.net says...
> I'm wanting to upgrade to a slimline camera that doesn't cost the earth,
> supports (preferrably) SD memory cards, and AA or AAA NiHM batteries.

What is slimline?

The Canon Powershot A410 might fit your spec, these are quite a small
camera, 2 AAs and SD card. $298

R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh

In message <Xns97429D9697A3sometimes2003@60.234.1.32>, mark
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm wanting to upgrade to a slimline camera that doesn't cost the earth,
>supports (preferrably) SD memory cards, and AA or AAA NiHM batteries.

Define slimline? If you mean one of the real slim, almost credit card
sized cameras, then you won't find one with AA or AAA batteries. The
Sony T5s and T7s are thinner than a AAA, I think, and certainly
wouldn't have room for one inside. In fact I can't think of a AAA
camera that's more than a toy.

If you're just talking about a "compact" camera, then I'd recommend
Panasonic LZ2 (or LZ1 if your budget doesn't stretch that far). 5MP
(4MP for the LZ1), 6x optical zoom (with only about a 5mm nose to show
for it), SD, 2xAA, 30fps video (IIRC) with audio (LZ2 only) and a
halfway decent shutter lag. They're not super-fast, but quick enough
that you won't get too frustrated. Bear in mind that you can half
press the shutter to lock the focus and aperture and get an almost
instant response when you push through. They're not exactly pretty
though.

If even that much nose is too much for you, try the LS1 (4MP and 3x
optical zoom).

Anything much smaller than the LZs & LS1 is going to have a Li-ion
battery.

--
R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
Timaru, New Zealand.

RadioNutter

Hi Mark

Try
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/dy...=mobiles&ss=3g

The new phones coming out have a camera built in, they are starting to take
acceptable pictures.
2M pix + now

Cheers
Mike