Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Just how do you feel the dots?

Just how do you feel the dots?

JC

Google's title has gone braille as you have probably seen, but how does
a blind person feel the dots?

Philip

JC wrote:
> Google's title has gone braille as you have probably seen, but how does
> a blind person feel the dots?

Interactive touchscreen: screentouch.

Philip

steve

JC wrote:

> Google's title has gone braille as you have probably seen, but how does
> a blind person feel the dots?

Touch screen.....of course.

JC

steve wrote:
> JC wrote:
>

>>Google's title has gone braille as you have probably seen, but how does
>>a blind person feel the dots?

> Touch screen.....of course.

Doh, I know I should of thought of that. Must of been tired.

C_Lyon

JC wrote:
> steve wrote:
>
>> JC wrote:
>>

>>> Google's title has gone braille as you have probably seen, but how does
>>> a blind person feel the dots?

>> Touch screen.....of course.
>>

> Doh, I know I should of thought of that. Must of been tired.

Or you can try listening for them, like morse code

-=rjh=-

C_Lyon wrote:
> JC wrote:
>
>> steve wrote:

>>> Touch screen.....of course.
>>>

>> Doh, I know I should of thought of that. Must of been tired.

> Or you can try listening for them, like morse code

Actually, blind people could do both: using a braille display they can
feel the alternative text; or by using software like Jaws, they'd hear
"Happy Birthday Louis Braille!"

I don't know if many people here have seen blind people using computers,
from the comments here, I guess not. To compensate their loss, some
blind people develop impressive memory skills and some are able to read
from a braille display at amazing speed (although still slower than
reading directly). I'm not sure, but I think braille may be becoming
less widely used, especially for people who haven't been blind from
birth. For deafblind people there are fewer choices. Technology is
making a huge difference in this area and offering alternatives.

http://www.deafblind.com/display.html

People proficient in using Jaws (a screen reader) or similar can
understand text readers at amazing speeds, probably up to 4 times (or
more) the speed at which sighted people could understand what is being
said, let alone comprehend it.

http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_...e_jawsinfo.asp

If deafblind I think they can output Jaws to a Braille display instead
of audio (so they feel display, after it has been converted to text),
but I'm not sure about that.

Some of the people posting to this ng in the past have been blind,
haven't seen them around for a while, and for all I know, there may well
be others posting even now.

HTH

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:30:04 +1300, JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:dphp8o$k8g$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Doh, I know I should of thought of that. Must of been tired.

Should of? Must of?

AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!

--
Nicolaas

~misfit~

Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:30:04 +1300, JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <news:dphp8o$k8g$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> Doh, I know I should of thought of that. Must of been tired.

> Should of? Must of?
>
> AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!

Take your pills Nicolaas. This isn't
alt.english.language.as.she.is.correctly.spoken

Or shouldn't I of said that?
--
~misfit~

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 21:27:32 +1300, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in <news:43bcd9ec$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:30:04 +1300, JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> <news:dphp8o$k8g$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>
>>> Doh, I know I should of thought of that. Must of been tired.

>> Should of? Must of?
>>
>> AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!

> Take your pills Nicolaas. This isn't
> alt.english.language.as.she.is.correctly.spoken
>
> Or shouldn't I of said that?

Go and bite your bum!

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

.... If you're feeling good, don't worry. You'll get over it.

Meniscus

On , , Thu, 5 Jan 2006 21:27:32 +1300, Re: Just how do you feel
the dots?, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:30:04 +1300, JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> <news:dphp8o$k8g$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>
>>> Doh, I know I should of thought of that. Must of been tired.

>> Should of? Must of?
>>
>> AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!

>Take your pills Nicolaas. This isn't
>alt.english.language.as.she.is.correctly.spoken

As long as David Murray is here it is or he would like you think
it is, especially if you are of Asian extraction.