Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > error when apt-get update in Ubuntu

error when apt-get update in Ubuntu

The Black Wibble

"Pacific Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Currently, I'm still trialing out Linux / Ubuntu (currently using 5.10),
> but can any Linux gurus shed some light on the below error message?
>
> Get:1 http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com breezy Release.gpg [189B]
> Err http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com breezy-updates Release.gpg
> Bad header line
>
> Apparently, Ubuntu is sending out some corrupt data and the server is
> returning "bad Header line". Since I'm new to Linux, I don't have the
> slightest clue what this error means or why this error comes about even
> when "Googling" around. At the moment some packages are
> greyed out in the package manager
>
> My last experience using Ubuntu 5.04, the problems seems to get
> progressively worse until apt-get becomes totally screw balled. It wasn't
> until I reinstalled ubuntu 5.04 at that time, that the problem went away.
>
> Does anyone know what is going on and how do I correct this problem?

nz.archive.ubuntu.com has been broken for a few months now, so I've been
using ftp.citylink.co.nz instead.
Here's my /etc/apt/sources.list. Remember to 'apt-get update' after
replacing or modifying your old one.

Tony.
----------
deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 5.10 _Breezy Badger_ - Release i386 (20051012)]/ breezy
main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to fetch updated software from the
network

deb ftp://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu breezy main restricted
deb-src ftp://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu breezy main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to fetch major bug fix updates produced
## after the final release of the distribution.

deb ftp://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted
deb-src ftp://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu breezy-updates main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.

deb ftp://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu breezy main universe
deb-src ftp://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu breezy main universe

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.

deb ftp://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu breezy-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
deb-src ftp://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu breezy-backports main restricted
universe multiverse
---------

Pacific Dragon

[...]

Shane

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:02:51 +1300, Pacific Dragon wrote:

> Currently, I'm still trialing out Linux / Ubuntu (currently using 5.10),
> but can any Linux gurus shed some light on the below error message?
>
> Get:1 http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com breezy Release.gpg [189B] Err
> http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com breezy-updates Release.gpg
> Bad header line
>
> Apparently, Ubuntu is sending out some corrupt data and the server is
> returning "bad Header line". Since I'm new to Linux, I don't have the
> slightest clue what this error means or why this error comes about even
> when "Googling" around. At the moment some packages are greyed out in the
> package manager
>
> My last experience using Ubuntu 5.04, the problems seems to get
> progressively worse until apt-get becomes totally screw balled. It wasn't
> until I reinstalled ubuntu 5.04 at that time, that the problem went away.
>
> Does anyone know what is going on and how do I correct this problem?

I had that problem so I made mine talk aussie
in /etc/apt/sources.list change nz to au
eg
http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com
http://au.archive.ubuntu.com

--
Q: Why did the programmer call his mother long distance?
A: Because that was her name.

Shane

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:13:16 +1300, Shane wrote:
On rereading my post I'll rephrase it cos it barely made sense

I went through my /etc/apt/sources.list with a text editor (as root)
and changed every source to an australian mirror
the examples were

http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com
http://au.archive.ubuntu.com

HTH
--
#if _FP_W_TYPE_SIZE < 32
#error "Here's a nickel kid. Go buy yourself a real computer."

shannon

Shane wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:13:16 +1300, Shane wrote:
> On rereading my post I'll rephrase it cos it barely made sense
>
> I went through my /etc/apt/sources.list with a text editor (as root)
> and changed every source to an australian mirror
> the examples were
>
> http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com
> http://au.archive.ubuntu.com
>

> HTH

I think ubuntu's nz mirror repositary is hosted at citylink
it also appears in http://ftp.nz.debian.org/ubuntu/, and
http://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu/, it could have got cocked up (am I
allowed to use that word ?) on the last rsync over the holiday break.
I'm sure Simon will be on to it, but yeah, stick another mirror in
sources.list, or add it in synaptic.

Shane

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:39:30 +1300, shannon wrote:

> Shane wrote:
>> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:13:16 +1300, Shane wrote: On rereading my post
>> I'll rephrase it cos it barely made sense
>>
>> I went through my /etc/apt/sources.list with a text editor (as root) and
>> changed every source to an australian mirror the examples were
>>
>> http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com
>> http://au.archive.ubuntu.com
>>

>> HTH

> I think ubuntu's nz mirror repositary is hosted at citylink it also
> appears in http://ftp.nz.debian.org/ubuntu/, and
> http://ftp.citylink.co.nz/ubuntu/, it could have got cocked up (am I
> allowed to use that word ?) on the last rsync over the holiday break. I'm
> sure Simon will be on to it, but yeah, stick another mirror in
> sources.list, or add it in synaptic.

Yeah, Im being irresponsible, I should email the mirror and tell him
theres something amiss (as well as change things around in the short term)

--
Xerox never comes up with anything original.