Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > why does lcd tv look like crap?

why does lcd tv look like crap?

Geoff@work

news:43bb947a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geoff@work wrote:
>
>> It's so funny (not funny - really SAD) to see people happily
>> (obliviously) watching a 4x3 picture stretched out to 16 x9 on their
>> multi-thousand buck LCD/Plasmas. "Aren't cericket players so short and
>> fat these days ..."

> Thats because you cant get a damn 4:3 plasma anymore.

You can set the appropriate picture mode with ease. Probably set it to
auto-sense as well.

geoff

Apteryx

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Other Guy wrote:
>
>> Part of the problem is the fact that LCDs have square pixels and normal
>> televisions do not. Possibly due to this, and also because of the
>> comparatively slow response time of LCD panels, they cancel a lot of the
>> random noise, giving the highly-compressed JPEG look. Also, many panels
>> lack colour depth so gradients look bad.

> True.
>
> LCD is good for clear display of relatively static visuals.....but falls
> over badly when the images become dynamic.

Its not just that - LCD can't compete with CRT for working on digital
photography (except at absurd prices) because of lack of contrast range and
colour depth.

--
Apteryx

Apteryx

"Jim F B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:43bb2781$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message
> news:43baff4c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What the hell is going on with lcd tv's, everyone that i have seen in
>> stores
>> displays an awful picture

> The 17" Sony wide screen TV that I have seen is far superior to any CRT
> that I know of. When you pause a DVD or show digital pictures on it ex
> your camera, there is no flicker on the LCD TV, but noticeable flicker on
> every conventional CRT that I have tried. The colours are brighter and
> fresher also on this LCD TV.

They are brighter and fresher of them because there are less of them, and
they contrast against each other more vividly. But that is not a good thing
if you want accurate colour reproduction.

--
Apteryx

~misfit~

Jerry wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:

>> This public service announcement had been bought to you by the
>> letters MD and the number 6 (With the last sibilant silent)

> I'll have the MD 20/20 please! Can't seem to find it in New Zealand
> though http://www.bumwine.com/md2020.html - A Mad Dog happy new year
> to all

Hmm, looks tasty.
--
~misfit~

JD

Peter S wrote:
> I agree - I've seen a lot of crap too... lots of missed frames, pixelation
> etc... some of the TV's can't handle resizing pictures on the fly?? Saw it
> on a projector at a mates place the other day... it couldn't handle the hd
> image coming out of the media pc and missed frames a lot while it was being
> displayed.

That sounds like you've got that arse about face. The projector is
showing you what it is receiving from the source.

Daniel

The Other Guy wrote:

> No, the OP is right. LCD TVs look awful. Some are better than others,
> depending on the noise cancellation circuit, but the quality is far from
> that of a good CRT.
>
> Part of the problem is the fact that LCDs have square pixels and normal
> televisions do not. Possibly due to this, and also because of the
> comparatively slow response time of LCD panels, they cancel a lot of the
> random noise, giving the highly-compressed JPEG look. Also, many panels
> lack colour depth so gradients look bad.
>
> The Other Guy

Yeah. I agree - they look rubbish. Okay, okay, I've only seen the LCD's
in Woolworths [cringes], K-Mart, The Wharehouse (yuck-a-mundo), DSE,
B&B/Noel Leeming (not too bad), Farmers (not too bad), Harvey Norman
(also not too bad).

The best ones I've seen aren't too bad. Although, when I compare them to
a nearby semi-decent flat-screen CRT it certainly looks like the CRT
image is superior.
I've seen bad LCD TV's placed next to CRTs in the Wharehouse - what a
bad move that is. The difference in image quality is so easily
highlighted (especially when all the things are playing the same DVD movie).

Jim F B

"Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QyJuf.12335$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jim F B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43bb2781$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message
>> news:43baff4c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > What the hell is going on with lcd tv's, everyone that i have seen in
>> > stores
>> > displays an awful picture

>> The 17" Sony wide screen TV that I have seen is far superior to any CRT

> that
>> I know of. When you pause a DVD or show digital pictures on it ex your
>> camera, there is no flicker on the LCD TV, but noticeable flicker on
>> every
>> conventional CRT that I have tried. The colours are brighter and fresher
>> also on this LCD TV. A lot depends on the brand, I thought Sony was a lot
>> better than the others I saw. This TV is also a great computer monitor,
>> better than any CRT I have ever owned. So I think your comments are a bit
>> out of date, I would happily get rid of my CRT for a Sony LCD TV!
>>

> And i've personally test driven the latest Sony 17" LCD (TVset) at home
> and
> confirmed it CANNOT (as with all other LCD) give me a proper BLACK as done
> so by CRT. This is a function of the backlight process even though some
> are
> now useing LED light as opposed to flouro-mini discharge tube. I've found
> Plasma to give a better black and would probably settle on one of these
> but...
>
> Nope... i like to watch a good movie and when the dark scenes arrive THEY
> have to be black or they look stupid.
>
> morris

The Sony 17" LCD I watch gives blacks that are equally as black, if not
blacker, as those on a CRT, in fact they are as black as the ace of spades!
A bit depends on the level of contrast that you have set the TV to. To
reject this TV on the grounds that the blacks aren't black enough would be
utter nonsense as far as I am concerned.

Jim F B

"Apteryx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%5_uf.12481$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jim F B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43bb2781$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message
>> news:43baff4c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> What the hell is going on with lcd tv's, everyone that i have seen in
>>> stores
>>> displays an awful picture

>> The 17" Sony wide screen TV that I have seen is far superior to any CRT
>> that I know of. When you pause a DVD or show digital pictures on it ex
>> your camera, there is no flicker on the LCD TV, but noticeable flicker on
>> every conventional CRT that I have tried. The colours are brighter and
>> fresher also on this LCD TV.

> They are brighter and fresher of them because there are less of them, and
> they contrast against each other more vividly. But that is not a good
> thing if you want accurate colour reproduction.
>
> --
> Apteryx

I do a lot of digital photography and when the Sony 17" LCD TV is used as a
computer monitor, I think the colours are far better than a Philips CRT, and
in my opinion closer to the photo prints that are finally produced. The
comments made in this thread may be relevant to the larger budget LCD TVs
around, but you need to actually use an LCD TV and make proper comparisons
with CRTs before splashing into ink IMHO. In other words, have identical
content on both an LCD and a CRT at the same time, along side each other.

My only criticism of high-end LCD TVs is that, with a very wide viewing
angle, the picture is not as good as you would get with a CRT, but this
defect is being improved all the time. If you are not at too wide an angle
from an LCD TV, this problem is not evident. So perhaps some of the
criticisms made in this thread were because people were looking at the LCD
screens from too wide a viewing angle from the screen. One good advantage of
LCD TVs that has not been mentioned here is that a 19" LCD screen gives you
exactly 19" diagonal measurement, so the picture size is exactly what it is
advertised to be. But a 19" CRT TV, gives you about 17 and three quarter
inches diagonal measurement, which is a bit of a rip off from an advertising
point of view. Try measuring a 29" CRT across the diagonal and see what you
get, and then measure a 29" LCD and you will see what I mean. The LCD gives
you the full 29 inches, the CRT does not.

Richard

Geoff@work wrote:

>>Thats because you cant get a damn 4:3 plasma anymore.

> You can set the appropriate picture mode with ease. Probably set it to
> auto-sense as well.

And have the sides of the screen unused - yeah thats great.

Geoff@work

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geoff@work wrote:
>
>>>Thats because you cant get a damn 4:3 plasma anymore.

>> You can set the appropriate picture mode with ease. Probably set it to
>> auto-sense as well.

> And have the sides of the screen unused - yeah thats great.

Um. If your screen has an aspect ratio of 16 x 9 and your picture has an
aspect ratio of 4x3, thn yes you will have blank edges. Or a distorted
picture.

I know what is sensible to look at - do you ?

geoff