Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > why does lcd tv look like crap?

why does lcd tv look like crap?

Jim F B

"Geoff@work" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mMGuf.12284$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
>>>

>> I have to say I agree, I was out to get an LCD TV a few months ago and
>> was horrified when I looked closer at the quality. The plazma TV's looked
>> so much cleaner than the "washed out" and even blurry LCD's that I got a
>> 42inch plazma instead and am extremely happy with it.

> That's odd, consoidering 'plasmas' are inferior in most specifications of
> relevance, espeicall contrast.
>
> geoff

Plasmas also weigh a lot, whereas LCD TVs are very light and easily
transportable. The plasmas I looked at were nowhere near as good as the
equivalent sized LCDs.

JD

outofdate wrote:
> Yep I agree and I suspected as much at least in the beginning but when every
> t.v but one was like this and i looked at heaps in different stores I
> started to think maybe they were this crap, still begs the question as to
> why people would buy one on the evidence that they see in shops. I will see
> if I can have a fiddle next time i am in store although things like the use
> of the composite input I won't be able to change by myself.

Any store utilising composite inputs to display plasma and LCDs is not
a store you should waste your time standing in.

outofdate

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> outofdate wrote:
> > Yep I agree and I suspected as much at least in the beginning but when

every
> > t.v but one was like this and i looked at heaps in different stores I
> > started to think maybe they were this crap, still begs the question as

> > why people would buy one on the evidence that they see in shops. I will

see
> > if I can have a fiddle next time i am in store although things like the

use
> > of the composite input I won't be able to change by myself.

> Any store utilising composite inputs to display plasma and LCDs is not
> a store you should waste your time standing in.

Well obviously if there were a store that would not do this sort of thing I
would go to it but there are none in my area, i can think of one such store
that is located in another region but obviously that is not much use to me

JD

outofdate wrote:
> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > outofdate wrote:
> > > Yep I agree and I suspected as much at least in the beginning but when

> every
> > > t.v but one was like this and i looked at heaps in different stores I
> > > started to think maybe they were this crap, still begs the question as

> > > why people would buy one on the evidence that they see in shops. I will

> see
> > > if I can have a fiddle next time i am in store although things like the

> use
> > > of the composite input I won't be able to change by myself.

> > Any store utilising composite inputs to display plasma and LCDs is not
> > a store you should waste your time standing in.

> Well obviously if there were a store that would not do this sort of thing I
> would go to it but there are none in my area, i can think of one such store
> that is located in another region but obviously that is not much use to me

Where are you posting from? Auckland? If you aren't prepared to do a
bit of travelling, more fool you.

What are you going to be using the LCD primarily for? Home
entertainment or watching FTA crap?

JD

outofdate wrote:
> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > outofdate wrote:
> > > What the hell is going on with lcd tv's, everyone that i have seen in

> stores
> > > displays an awful picture whether showing dvd's or digital tv, it looks

> like
> > > what you see when you massively overcompress a jpeg picture file. I have
> > > tried to find out about this on the net but so far have had no luck,

> > It's called the screen door effect, basically, you're either looking at
> > cheap older generation or more likely, you're standing too damn close
> > to the TV.

> Well that might be what you like to believe but that has nothing to do with
> what I actually said.

Given your demonstrated inability to explain yourself, that is your
issue. But the concept that an LCD (with dramatically better resolution
than comparable plasmas) has a picture quality approaching a "massively
over compressed jpeg" is laughable.

Geoff@work

"outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Well from the responses i have got it seems that in least in part the
> problems I referred to are due to extremely bad setting up in the shop
> displays, until I have a really good fiddle myself I won't know exactly
> how
> good or bad lcd screens are. Things of lesser extreme that I have noticed
> has been blurry images and a very artificial look to images if you know
> what
> I mean but i have not closely assessed that as the compression artefact
> problem was so extreme as to not even look further than that so blurry
> images etc.. might have more to do with a particular brand and model.

It's so funny (not funny - really SAD) to see people happily (obliviously)
watching a 4x3 picture stretched out to 16 x9 on their multi-thousand buck
LCD/Plasmas. "Aren't cericket players so short and fat these days ..."

geoff

JD

Jim F B wrote:
> "Geoff@work" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:mMGuf.12284$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
> >>>
> >> I have to say I agree, I was out to get an LCD TV a few months ago and
> >> was horrified when I looked closer at the quality. The plazma TV's looked
> >> so much cleaner than the "washed out" and even blurry LCD's that I got a
> >> 42inch plazma instead and am extremely happy with it.

> > That's odd, consoidering 'plasmas' are inferior in most specifications of
> > relevance, espeicall contrast.
> >
> > geoff

> Plasmas also weigh a lot, whereas LCD TVs are very light and easily
> transportable. The plasmas I looked at were nowhere near as good as the
> equivalent sized LCDs.

LCDs are only good to about 37", plasmas are far better for larger
sizes, especially if you want to have a decent home entertainment
system.

outofdate

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> outofdate wrote:
> > "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

when
> > every

as

will
> > see

the
> > use
> > >
> > > Any store utilising composite inputs to display plasma and LCDs is not
> > > a store you should waste your time standing in.

> > Well obviously if there were a store that would not do this sort of

thing I
> > would go to it but there are none in my area, i can think of one such

store
> > that is located in another region but obviously that is not much use to

me

> Where are you posting from? Auckland? If you aren't prepared to do a
> bit of travelling, more fool you.
>
> What are you going to be using the LCD primarily for? Home
> entertainment or watching FTA crap?

Why would you assume I was in Auckland?

outofdate

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> outofdate wrote:
> > "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

in
> > stores

looks
> > like

have

> > > It's called the screen door effect, basically, you're either looking

at
> > > cheap older generation or more likely, you're standing too damn close
> > > to the TV.

> > Well that might be what you like to believe but that has nothing to do

with
> > what I actually said.

> Given your demonstrated inability to explain yourself, that is your
> issue. But the concept that an LCD (with dramatically better resolution
> than comparable plasmas) has a picture quality approaching a "massively
> over compressed jpeg" is laughable.

Once again for the slow to get it, what I see with my own eyes is fact,
whether there is something wrong with the setup in shops does not change
what I see in the shops, I smell an overprotective lcd owner.

Philip

John B wrote:
> "outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message
> news:43baff4c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What the hell is going on with lcd tv's, everyone that i have
>> seen in stores
>> displays an awful picture whether showing dvd's or digital tv,
>> it looks like
>> what you see when you massively overcompress a jpeg picture
>> file. I have
>> tried to find out about this on the net but so far have had no
>> luck, it's
>> seems unbelievable that it is not an easy topic to find, is
>> everyone
>> deluding themselves about lcd tv's, I can't see any other
>> explanation
>> because for there to be no explanation at all about something
>> that is so
>> obvious to anyone but a blind man makes no sense unless people
>> just don't
>> want to know about it, i.e delusion. I am curious to find out
>> what causes
>> the problem, do lcd tv's compress the received signal for some
>> reason before
>> displaying it. Anyhow as it stands lcd tv's give a worse
>> picture than any
>> other tv i have ever seen in my life, yet they are selling
>> well, totally
>> amazing. So does anybody here actually know what the story is,
>> obviously i
>> am not interested in people that just want to defend their lcd
>> tv with any
>> made up explanation.

> Our 37" is great. Excellent picture quality. Higher model
> Philips. Much better than the old 29" Sanyo, and that was pretty
> good.

What are you feeding it? Meaning are you looking at DVDs sent to the
scree with digital input,or HDMI (which I think is maybe different , or
are you looking at analogue (composite/YMUV/RGB input?

I'd love a big screen, but apart from the 84-inch one (price: EUR 13
000) I saw displayed by Samsung at the 2004 IFA in Berlin, I've never
seen qaulity that would turn my head.

All information gratefully received.

Philip