Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > why does lcd tv look like crap?

why does lcd tv look like crap?

outofdate

"Jim F B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:43bb3361$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > My comments are completely up to date as it was only 2 days ago that I
> > visited 3 different stores with lcd t.v's but I will say that I was
> > looking
> > at larger than 17 inch as 17 inch is far too small to be used as a main
> > t.v.
> > The smaller lcd t.v's I have seen did seem to be heaps better in regards
> > the problem I am referring to when I say that lcd looks crap but as I

said
> > have not really looked at t.v's this size, maybe I should have said that
> > in
> > my original post but i thought most people would assume that I was
> > referring
> > to screens of a normal tv size. I cannot comment on the positive things

of
> > lcd that you point out as they have nothing to do with the problem I
> > specified, good colour etc.. doesn't change the compression artefacts

that
> > stand out like a sore thumb but prehaps you would prefer to imagine that
> > this problem does not exist.
> >

> I don't imagine anything, this problem does not exist with this TV. Have a
> look at this review for example:

> Also, I have seen people playing fast moving computer games using this

Sony
> LCD monitor, and the 16ms response time is completely adequate for the

task,
> there are no noticeable slow response problems. Just looking in shops is

one
> thing, but I suggest you also read some of the reviews on internet about

the
> better LCD TVs

I trust my own eyes

and spend some time at home actually evaluating in detail a
> good LCD TV. The shops often don't tune them in the way you would like, I
> saw some awful pictures in a shop on a 23" Samsung LCD TV, but after

playing
> around for a while at my request, the picture was improved dramatically.

Yep I agree and I suspected as much at least in the beginning but when every
t.v but one was like this and i looked at heaps in different stores I
started to think maybe they were this crap, still begs the question as to
why people would buy one on the evidence that they see in shops. I will see
if I can have a fiddle next time i am in store although things like the use
of the composite input I won't be able to change by myself.

outofdate

"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
news:newscache$ieqjsi$kj3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> outofdate wrote:
> > What the hell is going on with lcd tv's, everyone that i have seen in

stores
> > displays an awful picture whether showing dvd's or digital tv, it looks

like
> > what you see when you massively overcompress a jpeg picture file. I have
> > tried to find out about this on the net but so far have had no luck,

it's
> > seems unbelievable that it is not an easy topic to find, is everyone
> > deluding themselves about lcd tv's, I can't see any other explanation
> > because for there to be no explanation at all about something that is so
> > obvious to anyone but a blind man makes no sense unless people just

don't
> > want to know about it, i.e delusion. I am curious to find out what

causes
> > the problem, do lcd tv's compress the received signal for some reason

before
> > displaying it. Anyhow as it stands lcd tv's give a worse picture than

any
> > other tv i have ever seen in my life, yet they are selling well, totally
> > amazing. So does anybody here actually know what the story is, obviously

> > am not interested in people that just want to defend their lcd tv with

any
> > made up explanation.
> >

> I have to say I agree, I was out to get an LCD TV a few months ago and
> was horrified when I looked closer at the quality. The plazma TV's
> looked so much cleaner than the "washed out" and even blurry LCD's that
> I got a 42inch plazma instead and am extremely happy with it.

I would be happy with a plasma screen also despite some drawbacks like
screen life, what counts to me is what I see with my own 2 eyes and so far
they see good things with plasma but unbelievably bad things with lcd.

outofdate

"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
news:newscache$ieqjsi$kj3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> outofdate wrote:
> > What the hell is going on with lcd tv's, everyone that i have seen in

stores
> > displays an awful picture whether showing dvd's or digital tv, it looks

like
> > what you see when you massively overcompress a jpeg picture file. I have
> > tried to find out about this on the net but so far have had no luck,

it's
> > seems unbelievable that it is not an easy topic to find, is everyone
> > deluding themselves about lcd tv's, I can't see any other explanation
> > because for there to be no explanation at all about something that is so
> > obvious to anyone but a blind man makes no sense unless people just

don't
> > want to know about it, i.e delusion. I am curious to find out what

causes
> > the problem, do lcd tv's compress the received signal for some reason

before
> > displaying it. Anyhow as it stands lcd tv's give a worse picture than

any
> > other tv i have ever seen in my life, yet they are selling well, totally
> > amazing. So does anybody here actually know what the story is, obviously

> > am not interested in people that just want to defend their lcd tv with

any
> > made up explanation.
> >

> I have to say I agree, I was out to get an LCD TV a few months ago and
> was horrified when I looked closer at the quality. The plazma TV's
> looked so much cleaner than the "washed out" and even blurry LCD's that
> I got a 42inch plazma instead and am extremely happy with it.

From my experience you don't have to look close to see a terrible lcd
picture.

Geoff@work

"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message

> I have to say I agree, I was out to get an LCD TV a few months ago and was
> horrified when I looked closer at the quality. The plazma TV's looked so
> much cleaner than the "washed out" and even blurry LCD's that I got a
> 42inch plazma instead and am extremely happy with it.

That's odd, consoidering 'plasmas' are inferior in most specifications of
relevance, espeicall contrast.

geoff

outofdate

"outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message
news:43baff4c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What the hell is going on with lcd tv's, everyone that i have seen in

stores
> displays an awful picture whether showing dvd's or digital tv, it looks

like
> what you see when you massively overcompress a jpeg picture file. I have
> tried to find out about this on the net but so far have had no luck, it's
> seems unbelievable that it is not an easy topic to find, is everyone
> deluding themselves about lcd tv's, I can't see any other explanation
> because for there to be no explanation at all about something that is so
> obvious to anyone but a blind man makes no sense unless people just don't
> want to know about it, i.e delusion. I am curious to find out what causes
> the problem, do lcd tv's compress the received signal for some reason

before
> displaying it. Anyhow as it stands lcd tv's give a worse picture than any
> other tv i have ever seen in my life, yet they are selling well, totally
> amazing. So does anybody here actually know what the story is, obviously i
> am not interested in people that just want to defend their lcd tv with any
> made up explanation.

Well from the responses i have got it seems that in least in part the
problems I referred to are due to extremely bad setting up in the shop
displays, until I have a really good fiddle myself I won't know exactly how
good or bad lcd screens are. Things of lesser extreme that I have noticed
has been blurry images and a very artificial look to images if you know what
I mean but i have not closely assessed that as the compression artefact
problem was so extreme as to not even look further than that so blurry
images etc.. might have more to do with a particular brand and model.

outofdate

"Geoff@work" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mMGuf.12284$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
> >>

> > I have to say I agree, I was out to get an LCD TV a few months ago and

was
> > horrified when I looked closer at the quality. The plazma TV's looked so
> > much cleaner than the "washed out" and even blurry LCD's that I got a
> > 42inch plazma instead and am extremely happy with it.

> That's odd, consoidering 'plasmas' are inferior in most specifications of
> relevance, espeicall contrast.
>
> geoff

It's not odd if you use your own eyes to assess things and isn't that what
t.v's are all about, displaying an image to your eyes.

JD

outofdate wrote:
> What the hell is going on with lcd tv's, everyone that i have seen in stores
> displays an awful picture whether showing dvd's or digital tv, it looks like
> what you see when you massively overcompress a jpeg picture file. I have
> tried to find out about this on the net but so far have had no luck,

It's called the screen door effect, basically, you're either looking at
cheap older generation or more likely, you're standing too damn close
to the TV.

The other issues are the refresh rate and the ability to draw blacks
(bascially because LCDs can't draw true blacks). However, they are
quickly improving and have a much greater resolution, but still should
remain as a second TV, set up so that you are directly in the sweet
spot.

Jim F B

"outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message
news:43bb3643$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yep I agree and I suspected as much at least in the beginning but when
> every
> t.v but one was like this and i looked at heaps in different stores I
> started to think maybe they were this crap, still begs the question as to
> why people would buy one on the evidence that they see in shops. I will
> see
> if I can have a fiddle next time i am in store although things like the
> use
> of the composite input I won't be able to change by myself.

I wouldn't buy any LCD TV just on the evidence I see in shops. Many high end
electronic products are the subject of independent internet reviews together
with heaps of internet individual user reviews. If all LCD TVs were really
as bad as you make them out to be, they wouldn't be selling them. Plenty of
internet research is first needed and you should only buy from a shop that
will allow you to return the product if you are not completely satisfied,
such as Noel Leeming and L V Martin. This will give you time in your own
home to tune the TV properly, the shops often have excess brightness and /
or contrast.

outofdate

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> outofdate wrote:
> > What the hell is going on with lcd tv's, everyone that i have seen in

stores
> > displays an awful picture whether showing dvd's or digital tv, it looks

like
> > what you see when you massively overcompress a jpeg picture file. I have
> > tried to find out about this on the net but so far have had no luck,

> It's called the screen door effect, basically, you're either looking at
> cheap older generation or more likely, you're standing too damn close
> to the TV.

Well that might be what you like to believe but that has nothing to do with
what I actually said.

outofdate

"Jim F B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:43bb3a4b$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message
> news:43bb3643$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Yep I agree and I suspected as much at least in the beginning but when
> > every
> > t.v but one was like this and i looked at heaps in different stores I
> > started to think maybe they were this crap, still begs the question as

> > why people would buy one on the evidence that they see in shops. I will
> > see
> > if I can have a fiddle next time i am in store although things like the
> > use
> > of the composite input I won't be able to change by myself.
> >

> I wouldn't buy any LCD TV just on the evidence I see in shops. Many high

end
> electronic products are the subject of independent internet reviews

together
> with heaps of internet individual user reviews.

Reviews can serve some purpose but I trust my own 2 eyes first of all.