Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > free antivirus

free antivirus

Squirrel

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:34:24 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:TSkuf.12052$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?
>>
>> If so, is it any good? I don't want to renew norton.
>>

>remove nortons
>
>reinstall it
>
>you will get another year

hello christion idiot, dont you send christs love under this nick???

I've gone crazy......but I will be back soon

E. Scrooge

"S Roby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Khruf.12139$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:TSkuf.12052$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> wasn't there a free antivirus program out there?

> The free AV's dont have a 100% detection rating but are probhably good
> enough
> If you want the best virus detection you will have to PAY
> Some of the freeware AV's DONT SCAN EMAIL
>
> antivir: doesnt scan emails?
> avast
> AVG
> bitdefender has a freeware version ()no email scanning??)
>

> I used Avast. It was excellent.
>

> Now using KAV's beta v6, get 2 months free use, then if theres a new KAV
> beta
> I'll load that & get 2 more months

You're fooling yourself if you think anything is going to give you 100%
protection.

For 100% protectection you can get off the Net and stay off it. And forget
about running any more CDs.

E. Scrooge

S Roby

In article <1136350563.513037@ftpsrv1>, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

>"S Roby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:Khruf.12139$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>>>"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:TSkuf.12052$(E-Mail Removed).. .

>> The free AV's dont have a 100% detection rating but are probhably good
>> enough
>> If you want the best virus detection you will have to PAY
>> Some of the freeware AV's DONT SCAN EMAIL
>>
>> antivir: doesnt scan emails?
>> avast
>> AVG
>> bitdefender has a freeware version ()no email scanning??)
>>

>> I used Avast. It was excellent.
>>

>> Now using KAV's beta v6, get 2 months free use, then if theres a new KAV
>> beta
>> I'll load that & get 2 more months

>You're fooling yourself if you think anything is going to give you 100%
>protection.
>
>For 100% protectection you can get off the Net and stay off it. And forget
>about running any more CDs.
>
>E. Scrooge

"100% detection RATING " of known viruses when tested
not 100% protection

E. Scrooge

"S Roby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MhLuf.12349$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <1136350563.513037@ftpsrv1>, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
> (*sling)> wrote:
>>
>>"S Roby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:Khruf.12139$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The free AV's dont have a 100% detection rating but are probhably good
>>> enough
>>> If you want the best virus detection you will have to PAY
>>> Some of the freeware AV's DONT SCAN EMAIL
>>>
>>> antivir: doesnt scan emails?
>>> avast
>>> AVG
>>> bitdefender has a freeware version ()no email scanning??)
>>>

>>> I used Avast. It was excellent.
>>>

>>> Now using KAV's beta v6, get 2 months free use, then if theres a new KAV
>>> beta
>>> I'll load that & get 2 more months

>>You're fooling yourself if you think anything is going to give you 100%
>>protection.
>>
>>For 100% protectection you can get off the Net and stay off it. And
>>forget
>>about running any more CDs.
>>
>>E. Scrooge
>>

> "100% detection RATING " of known viruses when tested
> not 100% protection

Covering 47,000 known viruses with more being added every day isn't bad
going. To keep up with the updates one would never be off the net. Any
software is going detect viruses that it knows about even if it only knows
about 2 viruses it will have 100% detection of those 2 viruses. Hardly a
great comfort though.

E. Scrooge

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Tue, 03 Jan 2006 10:16:34 GMT when I remembered
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)le (S Roby) saying something like this:

>Some of the freeware AV's DONT SCAN EMAIL

What ISPs don't scan email?
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

E. Scrooge

"Waylon Kenning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> T'was the Tue, 03 Jan 2006 10:16:34 GMT when I remembered
> (E-Mail Removed)le (S Roby) saying something like this:
>
>>Some of the freeware AV's DONT SCAN EMAIL

> What ISPs don't scan email?
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Waylon Kenning.

Most viruses are also passed on by email. Be damn strange if any anti virus
software couldn't check emails.

E. Scrooge

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Fri, 6 Jan 2006 00:28:50 +1300 when I remembered "E.
Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> saying something like this:

>Most viruses are also passed on by email. Be damn strange if any anti virus
>software couldn't check emails.

To be honest, I was never terribly keen on doing email virus scanning.
Perhaps bad experiences with Nortons.Then again, I've completed
migrated my own personal email to Gmail so that generally takes care
of viruses and spam.

I'm up to an average of 2400 spam a month now. When it gets to 10000
I'll throw a party.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

EMB

E. Scrooge wrote:

> Most viruses are also passed on by email. Be damn strange if any anti virus
> software couldn't check emails.

Why's that? Just because an AV program doesn't run a POP proxy to scan
email as it arrives won't stop it from intercepting the virus when the
problem file is saved/executed.

--
EMB

Dave Doe

In article <dpjqv5$ddb$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> E. Scrooge wrote:
>
> > Most viruses are also passed on by email. Be damn strange if any anti virus
> > software couldn't check emails.

> Why's that? Just because an AV program doesn't run a POP proxy to scan
> email as it arrives won't stop it from intercepting the virus when the
> problem file is saved/executed.

Please don't present the village idiot with facts - you'll confuse him
some more.

--
Duncan