Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Vista what Crap..

Vista what Crap..

steve

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardwar...id=188&tid=137

> No more hacked Firmware needs RPC2 , no more DVD movies for you!"

Only for DVD drives made prior to the year 2000.

I have one.....but most people wouldn't and most of those would have died a
long time ago.

I use Linux anyway.....so what Microsoft does doesn't matter either way as
far as I'm concerned.....but the details of this story make it clear this
one is no big deal.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> XP wrote:
>

> > Vista Won't Play With Old DVD Drives
> >

> http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardwar...id=188&tid=137
> >
> > No more hacked Firmware needs RPC2 , no more DVD movies for you!"

> Only for DVD drives made prior to the year 2000.
>
> I have one.....but most people wouldn't and most of those would have died a
> long time ago.
>
> I use Linux anyway.....so what Microsoft does doesn't matter either way as
> far as I'm concerned.....but the details of this story make it clear this
> one is no big deal.

For your information, some people reflash their RPC2 drives with RPC1
firmware in order to bypass RPC2 region restrictions.

XP

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:17:18 +1300, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> XP wrote:
>>

>> > Vista Won't Play With Old DVD Drives
>> >

>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardwar...id=188&tid=137
>> >
>> > No more hacked Firmware needs RPC2 , no more DVD movies for you!"

>> Only for DVD drives made prior to the year 2000.
>>
>> I have one.....but most people wouldn't and most of those would have died a
>> long time ago.
>>
>> I use Linux anyway.....so what Microsoft does doesn't matter either way as
>> far as I'm concerned.....but the details of this story make it clear this
>> one is no big deal.

>For your information, some people reflash their RPC2 drives with RPC1
>firmware in order to bypass RPC2 region restrictions.

That will not work, you need RPC2 for Vista to run..

XP

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:17:18 +1300, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> XP wrote:
>>

>> > Vista Won't Play With Old DVD Drives
>> >

>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardwar...id=188&tid=137
>> >
>> > No more hacked Firmware needs RPC2 , no more DVD movies for you!"

>> Only for DVD drives made prior to the year 2000.
>>
>> I have one.....but most people wouldn't and most of those would have died a
>> long time ago.
>>
>> I use Linux anyway.....so what Microsoft does doesn't matter either way as
>> far as I'm concerned.....but the details of this story make it clear this
>> one is no big deal.

>For your information, some people reflash their RPC2 drives with RPC1
>firmware in order to bypass RPC2 region restrictions.

Seems that most of you do not understand the point, you need a RPC2 Drive for
Vista to work..

Robert Cooze

Mr Undeniably Sluttish wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 13:32:50 +1300, smf wrote:
>

>>I won't be moving to vista in a
>>hurry - i have no desire to try and compete with this stuff

> Micro$oft Windoze Vista will merely help to move more people over to *nix.
>
> Of course there will always be those sheep who follow the latest fashion
> trend and who don't know that there be anything better than what the
> latest designer software label throws down the IP/DRM catwalk.
>

> Undeniably Sluttish

It will be like the Devels greatest trick (convincing everybody he dont
exsist) the DRM part and when It does the poore user will be so traped
and ensneared, They will have to continue to shell out money till the
death of there DRMed data they don't own even if they createdt it.

Steven H

Hello Rob,

> For your information, some people reflash their RPC2 drives with RPC1
> firmware in order to bypass RPC2 region restrictions.

so dont buy crippled hardware in the first place - a dvd drive is exactly
that, a dvd drive if it doesnt read dvd's its not fit for its intended use.

----------------
Steven H

the madGeek

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>> XP wrote:
>>
>>> Vista Won't Play With Old DVD Drives
>>>

>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardwar...shtml?tid=109&
>> tid=188&tid=137
>>
>>> No more hacked Firmware needs RPC2 , no more DVD movies for
>>> you!"
>>>

>> Only for DVD drives made prior to the year 2000.
>>
>> I have one.....but most people wouldn't and most of those would have
>> died a long time ago.
>>
>> I use Linux anyway.....so what Microsoft does doesn't matter either
>> way as far as I'm concerned.....but the details of this story make it
>> clear this one is no big deal.
>>

> For your information, some people reflash their RPC2 drives with RPC1
> firmware in order to bypass RPC2 region restrictions.

Rob J

says...
> On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:17:18 +1300, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >(E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardwar...id=188&tid=137

> >> Only for DVD drives made prior to the year 2000.
> >>
> >> I have one.....but most people wouldn't and most of those would have died a
> >> long time ago.
> >>
> >> I use Linux anyway.....so what Microsoft does doesn't matter either way as
> >> far as I'm concerned.....but the details of this story make it clear this
> >> one is no big deal.

> >For your information, some people reflash their RPC2 drives with RPC1
> >firmware in order to bypass RPC2 region restrictions.

> Seems that most of you do not understand the point, you need a RPC2 Drive for
> Vista to work..

Seems I do understand and was pointing out that drives made after the
year 2000 can still be affected by this.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:45:52 +1300 when I remembered Mr
Undeniably Sluttish <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like
this:

>LOLOL!
>
>Nice!

So hold on, you hate the fact that some people want to protect their
digital content, but if people circumvent that, you're joyous about
it?
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Meniscus

On , , Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:56:51 +1300, Re: Vista what Crap..,
Waylon Kenning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>T'was the Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:45:52 +1300 when I remembered Mr
>Undeniably Sluttish <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like
>this:
>
>>LOLOL!
>>
>>Nice!

>So hold on, you hate the fact that some people want to protect their
>digital content, but if people circumvent that, you're joyous about
>it?

He has never had an original thought or spend any time writing or
composing something. Those with any creative ability are always
the ones that see the sense in protecting their intellectual
work. Why give it away or allow thieves to make free copies of
something you have poured your heart and sould into?