Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Amplifier for headsphones or earplugs.....

Amplifier for headsphones or earplugs.....

Crash

Hi all,

I tried using the DVD player on my laptop to play a DVD on a flight to Oz and
found the available full volume was insufficient to comfortably hear the
soundtrack in the plane. I normally use amplified speakers and find when the
volume on the laptop is set full the volume on the speakers seems to be about
3/10 or so of the maximum setting to hear sound comfortably.

I am therefore wondering if I can buy a small audio amplifier to use here - that
will use boost the audio signal from the laptop 3.5 mm audio output to a headset
or earplugs? Can anyone suggest what to look for and where?

TIA,
Crash.

-=rjh=-

Crash wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried using the DVD player on my laptop to play a DVD on a flight to
> Oz and found the available full volume was insufficient to comfortably
> hear the soundtrack in the plane. I normally use amplified speakers and
> find when the volume on the laptop is set full the volume on the
> speakers seems to be about 3/10 or so of the maximum setting to hear
> sound comfortably.

You may be using inefficient or badly fitting headphones, and aircraft
are a very noisy environment for listening in. A better approach would
be to look at some form of sound isolation to reduce aircraft noise -
either larger headphones designed for this, or earplug type phones.

Just boosting the audio with an amplifier presents a very real risk of
permanent hearing damage if you are not careful.

David

Crash wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried using the DVD player on my laptop to play a DVD on a flight to
> Oz and found the available full volume was insufficient to comfortably
> hear the soundtrack in the plane. I normally use amplified speakers and
> find when the volume on the laptop is set full the volume on the
> speakers seems to be about 3/10 or so of the maximum setting to hear
> sound comfortably.
>
> I am therefore wondering if I can buy a small audio amplifier to use
> here - that will use boost the audio signal from the laptop 3.5 mm audio
> output to a headset or earplugs? Can anyone suggest what to look for
> and where?
>
> TIA,
> Crash.

You might want to try some of those noise cancelling headphones; AFAIK
they have built-in amplifiers, and the noise cancelling means less
amplification is necessary, especially with constant background noise
like in a plane. Otherwise some in-ear earplugs can be loud with low
input, but I don't like wearing these, and I can't see how they can be
good for your hearing.

ShuckItAnShee

"Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KD1uf.11814$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I tried using the DVD player on my laptop to play a DVD on a flight to Oz
> and found the available full volume was insufficient to comfortably hear
> the soundtrack in the plane. I normally use amplified speakers and find
> when the volume on the laptop is set full the volume on the speakers seems
> to be about 3/10 or so of the maximum setting to hear sound comfortably.
>
> I am therefore wondering if I can buy a small audio amplifier to use
> here - that will use boost the audio signal from the laptop 3.5 mm audio
> output to a headset or earplugs? Can anyone suggest what to look for and
> where?
>
> TIA,
> Crash.

What software are you using to play dvd's ? Make sure you haven't optioned
to enjoy the full dynamic range, 'cause that'll cost you volume...

Cheers