Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD writer upgrade time....

DVD writer upgrade time....

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)....nz says...
> After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
> taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is ****ing me off.....
> maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
> branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
> wont read and so on....
>
> So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
> "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers
> Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :-p

Stretch your budget to $150 and you can get a very good one in this
price range.

Pay cheap, get junk.

Rob J

In article <dp9kp3$gp7$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> XPD wrote:
> > So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
> > "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers
> > Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :-p

> if you want affordable but reliable, the BENQ DW1640 has been getting
> good reviews at anandtech,
> http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...px?i=2470&p=13
>
> i'm not sure on its feature set compared to other drives.. but i'm
> waiting for the courier to arrive with mine

The newest Sony DRU810A is a rebadged Benq 1640, it must be OK then

PC

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
> taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is ****ing me off.....
> maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
> branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
> wont read and so on....
>
> So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
> "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers
> Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :-p

OK I'll bite

LG GSA-4163B CD/CDR/CDRW, DVD+ R/RW/DL, DVD-R/RW, DVD RAM
Can be slow mounting media but have 3 on the go at the moment, 2 doing
nightly db backups to DVD-RAM

or the newer

LG GSA-4167B CD/CDR/CDRW, DVD+/- R/RW/DL, DVD RAM
Can be slow mounting media but have 2 in clients PC's
The '7' is also quite a bit shorter and may suit someone with a 'tight'
case.

Both retail <$100 at PBTech.

P.

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 11:22:13 +1300, smf <time.enough***@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Steve wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 09:20:19 +1300, XPD wrote:
>>
>>> After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
>>> taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is ****ing me off.....
>>> maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
>>> branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
>>> wont read and so on....
>>>
>>> So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
>>> "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers
>>> Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :-p

>> Is your firmware up to date? Otherwise, my BTC DRW1116IM is working fine,
>> although I don't use it heavily.
>>
>> steve
>>

>I picked up an NEC through firstin .... its been excellent. Its actually
>in an external case so I can use it on many machines. Not had a problem
>with it yet - all for $80 plus shipping. It burns dual layer and does
>all I need it to do. Probably burnt maybe 100 discs with it I guess
>since new and not a dud yet.
>Prior to this one I had a Liteon that burnt the occasional bad disc (it
>was picky with the media) - a very early BTC that went really well but
>was terribly slow....
>
>Sue

On the subject of the NEC, I picked up 2 from firstin as well (3520
and 3540). I kept the 3520 for myself and it has a number of firmware
hacks to region unlock it and set the booktype.

My xbox won't play DVD-R and has trouble with DVD+R but once I set the
booktype to DVD-ROM it works fine.

GraB

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 10:01:40 +1300, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz>
wrote:

>"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:GXWtf.11698$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
>>> taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is ****ing me
>>> off..... maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3
>>> different branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs
>>> fine but wont read and so on....
>>>
>>> So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please,
>>> no "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers
>>> Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :-p
>>>

>> which formats should it support? DVD comes in +rw and -rw models.
>>

>Oh yeah....Dual format/layer pls
>(most are these days anyway arent they)

Try and find one that isn't.

J Brockley

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
> taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is ****ing me off.....
> maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
> branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
> wont read and so on....
>
> So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
> "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers
> Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :-p

LG 4167 work for me, $75 at xpcomputers.

Mutley

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote:

>After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
>taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is ****ing me off.....
>maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
>branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
>wont read and so on....
>
>So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
>"I told you so" posts from Woger and followers
>Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :-p

You could try the Pioneer 110D $73.70
http://supercheappc.biz/site/product...6644b032054e3d

However I believe that the 110D does not write to DVDRAM only
read..and I don't see any regular 110s on Pricespy..

Article on it..
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/243

~misfit~

Oi wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:46:48 +1300, Oi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:20:19 +1300, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises,
>>> Im now taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is
>>> ****ing me off..... maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have
>>> tried about 3 different branded DVDs in it lately and all have had
>>> issues. Writes discs fine but wont read and so on....
>>>
>>> So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And
>>> please, no "I told you so" posts from Woger and followers
>>> Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :-p
>>>

> Try turning it into a 1693S here before spending any dosh:
> http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/d...patched-cf.rar,
> but be sure what you're doing. Read http://codeguys.rpc1.org/oc.html.

Ok, I've (perhaps prematurely) flashed my drive with that firmware and it
now appears to be a 1693S. I'm going to do a full back-up of drive C:
momentarilly. Cross your fingers for me.
--
~misfit~

Oi

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:54:53 +1300, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Oi wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 12:46:48 +1300, Oi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Try turning it into a 1693S here before spending any dosh:
>> http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/d...patched-cf.rar,
>> but be sure what you're doing. Read http://codeguys.rpc1.org/oc.html.

>Ok, I've (perhaps prematurely) flashed my drive with that firmware and it
>now appears to be a 1693S. I'm going to do a full back-up of drive C:
>momentarilly. Cross your fingers for me.

Fingers crossed.

XP

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:20:19 +1300, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote:

>After sitting in this very group singing this DVD writers praises, Im now
>taking it all back..... my Liteon DVDRW SOHW 1673S is ****ing me off.....
>maybe its due to overuse but who knows.... have tried about 3 different
>branded DVDs in it lately and all have had issues. Writes discs fine but
>wont read and so on....
>
>So... Im looking for a new DVD writer.... recommendations ? And please, no
>"I told you so" posts from Woger and followers
>Budget is $100 so no top of the line jobs thanks :-p

Just read this Article, NEC came out best

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/...s_true_speeds/