Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL connection query (technical)

ADSL connection query (technical)

The Other Guy

Hi,

I have been using a DSE router which allocated my external IP address
via DHCP, but I have another router which I'd now like to use instead,
but need to keep control over incoming/outgoing data.

This router supports multiple Internet connections, and has the ability
for me to specify which of the connection should be used to deliver
locally bound packets, including the 'Orcon' PPPoA connection I set up.

Does this mean that I can set up a PPPoE server on my network and
connect the router to it, then specify the interneal PPPoE server as the
destination for incoming packets?

Thanks,

The Other Guy

Steve

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 08:12:12 +1300, The Other Guy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using a DSE router which allocated my external IP address
> via DHCP, but I have another router which I'd now like to use instead,
> but need to keep control over incoming/outgoing data.
>
> This router supports multiple Internet connections, and has the ability
> for me to specify which of the connection should be used to deliver
> locally bound packets, including the 'Orcon' PPPoA connection I set up.
>
> Does this mean that I can set up a PPPoE server on my network and
> connect the router to it, then specify the interneal PPPoE server as the
> destination for incoming packets?
>
> Thanks,
>
> The Other Guy

No. The router itself performs the function of routing incoming packets.