Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Computer Clock Problems

Computer Clock Problems

ybakiwi

The clock on my computer keeps gaining about 1 hour in 24 hours.
Is this a sigh of a problem and can it be fixwed
Ciao
Kevin

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 17:57:46 +1300, ybakiwi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <news:(E-Mail Removed) >:

> The clock on my computer keeps gaining about 1 hour in 24 hours.
> Is this a sigh of a problem and can it be fixwed
> Ciao
> Kevin

Look at repacing your CMOS battery as a starting point.

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

.... Those who know, know who knows.

Jerry

ybakiwi wrote:
> The clock on my computer keeps gaining about 1 hour in 24 hours.
> Is this a sigh of a problem and can it be fixwed
> Ciao
> Kevin

Mine was doing that a while ago, actually I've had that problem twice
now. It isn't likely to bbe the CMOS battery, no matter how many people
tell you to change it. A CMOS battery failure doesn't make your clock
run slow, it makes the settings go away altogether, and only when the
computer is powered off.

I don't know what caused it, but both times I fixed it by deleting all
the internet history, temp files, and all that crap. As I recall the
windows time was gaining, but the CMOS time was correct when it happened
to me.

Murray Symon

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 17:57:46 +1300, ybakiwi wrote:

> The clock on my computer keeps gaining about 1 hour in 24 hours. Is this a
> sigh of a problem and can it be fixed? Ciao
> Kevin

It depends if it is gaining while the computer is off, or when it is
running. Is it mostly off or mostly on?

As far as I know, the CMOS RTC (real time clock chip) is usually only
read on boot-up and then it is up to software to keep the time up to date.

You can check the time in the CMOS RTC chip before you boot, in your BIOS
configuration menu - usually accessed by pressing a key such as DELETE
when prompted to.

Nicholas Sherlock

ybakiwi wrote:
> The clock on my computer keeps gaining about 1 hour in 24 hours.
> Is this a sigh of a problem and can it be fixwed

Check that your timezone and daylight savings settings are correct. On
Windows XP, you can use the "Internet time" feature on the date/time
setting window to automatically synchronize your clock, or there are
many third-party tools to do this for any operating system (Google: NTP).

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Jerry

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
> ybakiwi wrote:
>
>> The clock on my computer keeps gaining about 1 hour in 24 hours.
>> Is this a sigh of a problem and can it be fixwed

> Check that your timezone and daylight savings settings are correct. On
> Windows XP, you can use the "Internet time" feature on the date/time
> setting window to automatically synchronize your clock, or there are
> many third-party tools to do this for any operating system (Google: NTP).

None of this is going to help his problem. Between synchs his computer
will still gain time. I've been there recently

Mark Robinson

Jerry wrote:
> ybakiwi wrote:
>> The clock on my computer keeps gaining about 1 hour in 24 hours.
>> Is this a sigh of a problem and can it be fixwed

> Mine was doing that a while ago, actually I've had that problem twice
> now. It isn't likely to bbe the CMOS battery, no matter how many people
> tell you to change it. A CMOS battery failure doesn't make your clock
> run slow, it makes the settings go away altogether, and only when the
> computer is powered off.

I'll attest that a flat CMOS battery can make RTCs do strange things.

Nicholas Sherlock

Jerry wrote:
> Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
>> ybakiwi wrote:
>>
>>> The clock on my computer keeps gaining about 1 hour in 24 hours.
>>> Is this a sigh of a problem and can it be fixwed

>> Check that your timezone and daylight savings settings are correct. On
>> Windows XP, you can use the "Internet time" feature on the date/time
>> setting window to automatically synchronize your clock, or there are
>> many third-party tools to do this for any operating system (Google: NTP).

> None of this is going to help his problem. Between synchs his computer
> will still gain time. I've been there recently

If the OP is using Linux, there is a time-sync program available which
also corrects for clock drift /between/ syncs (It measures how fast/slow
your computer's clock is). Perhaps something like this is also available
for Windows, but I wasn't able to find a package which claimed this feature.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Sharktyymbfj

If it isn't the CMOS, I remember some time ago that some Norton products
caused this.

--
Sharktyymbfj

Newsgroups - For those who can't afford vanity publishing.
"ybakiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The clock on my computer keeps gaining about 1 hour in 24 hours.
> Is this a sigh of a problem and can it be fixwed
> Ciao
> Kevin

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sun, 01 Jan 2006 20:02:29 +1300 when I remembered Jerry

>Mine was doing that a while ago, actually I've had that problem twice
>now. It isn't likely to bbe the CMOS battery, no matter how many people
>tell you to change it. A CMOS battery failure doesn't make your clock
>run slow, it makes the settings go away altogether, and only when the
>computer is powered off.

Mine started playing up after a nearby lightning storm. Would slowly
gain time, meaning I thought I was late for everything, but quietly
surprised when instead I was massively early. Makes a change from
normal...

I guess it's the motherboard. You can get programs to update your time
automatically from the internet.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.