Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > dse dvd/hdd recorder opinion

dse dvd/hdd recorder opinion

The Other Guy

Barry Lennox wrote:
> The courts have consistently ruled that things must last for a
> "reasonable period" and yes, that is open to interpretation, but IIRC,
> a judge stated a reasonable period for a TV would be 5 years. I would
> be inclined to think a DVD recorder would be 3-4 years, but it's got
> to be more than 1.

My last VCR lasted 13 years. I expect nothing less than 10 years from my
DVD recorder. Early model, made in Japan, not cheap junk. I have
computers that have been used and abused that are nearly a decade old,
shouldn't be a stretch for a DVD recorder.

A cheap DVD player I expect to last maybe 3 years, a high end one...
ours is going on 7 and still going strong.

The Other Guy

The Other Guy

me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote:
> Have had a couple of glitches but just did the old computer trick shut
> down fire up again and away we go, Have done timer record went as
> planned.

A couple of glitches in under four days requiring a restart?

Geez, I'd have sent it back already. My DVD recorder has only been
turned off about four times in nine months, and even then only by
accident or due to power interruptions.

Turning it off regularly isn't an option, it takes so damn long to turn
itself on again

The Other Guy

E. Scrooge

"The Other Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43b6d179$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Barry Lennox wrote:
>> The courts have consistently ruled that things must last for a
>> "reasonable period" and yes, that is open to interpretation, but IIRC,
>> a judge stated a reasonable period for a TV would be 5 years. I would
>> be inclined to think a DVD recorder would be 3-4 years, but it's got
>> to be more than 1.

> My last VCR lasted 13 years. I expect nothing less than 10 years from my
> DVD recorder. Early model, made in Japan, not cheap junk. I have computers
> that have been used and abused that are nearly a decade old, shouldn't be
> a stretch for a DVD recorder.
>
> A cheap DVD player I expect to last maybe 3 years, a high end one... ours
> is going on 7 and still going strong.
>
> The Other Guy

Your high end player won't be able to handle the formats that a cheap DVD
player can. If you've got a quality high end player it won't CDR - VCDs &
SVCDs.
My early Toshiba player won't, a friend's Sony & Panasonic late models DVD
combo VCR players can't either.

My Toshiba gets very little use compared to the Transonic that's now over 2
years old and still going well. Just bought the cheap player from Dick
Smith advertised for $48 for another room. I took it over to the friend's
place for him to see the BBC's Sea Monsters program that I had made into a
VCD off Prime TV about 6 months ago or so.

The cheap player was also able to play a very badly produced DVD that the
Toshiba and Transonic couldn't. Up till now only the DVD drive in the PC
could play the first DVD of the issue 1 of the damn Star Trek promotion
magazine, which had a poor version of the movie First Contact. On most
players it's fine until the halfway though the movie then the picture break
up with longer pauses before stopping altogether. The new cheap player from
Dick Smith gave a couple of brief stutters at the same point but then
carried on playing the DVD with no more problems.

years ago DVD players were way over priced, especially when there's no
tuners in them like a VCR has - after all DVD players have no need for for
extra electronics of a tuner. Compared to a VCR a DVD player has stuff all
in it, yet they were selling for around $1,000 when the DVD players first
hit the markets.
DVD Recorders are finally coming down into a more reasonable price range.

And how much is an early expensive DVD player now worth?
Stuff all, Charlie - you might get 100 bucks for it if you're lucky.

E. Scrooge

The Other Guy

E. Scrooge wrote:
> Your high end player won't be able to handle the formats that a cheap DVD
> player can. If you've got a quality high end player it won't CDR - VCDs &
> SVCDs.
> My early Toshiba player won't, a friend's Sony & Panasonic late models DVD
> combo VCR players can't either.

It is a second generation Pioneer player, it supports DTS, plays
DVD-R/DVD+R and CD-RW fine, CDR I've never tried. VCDs are supported,
SVCD is not, but some SVCD disks do apparently play on it at certain
resolutions.

It is a _DVD_ player. It handles every format I want it to

There is only one disk I own that it doesn't play flawlessly. That is my
copy of "Short Circuit" (Region 1), where there is a small skip on the
layer change. Cetainly a lot of the players from that era had problems
with some titles, but we did a lot of research before purchasing the
Pioneer.

> And how much is an early expensive DVD player now worth?
> Stuff all, Charlie - you might get 100 bucks for it if you're lucky.

The value now is irrelevant, and we would never sell it. The important
thing is that it has served its purpose, and continues to do so.

The Other Guy

Jake Collins

I see DSE in Australia are selling a DVD Recorder (NO HDD though) for
AUD$184. Records to DVD+R/RW. Wonder how long it will take to get here.

--
Jake Collins
http://members.tripod.com/collinsj/
"The Other Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43b6d248$(E-Mail Removed)...
> me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote:
>> Have had a couple of glitches but just did the old computer trick shut
>> down fire up again and away we go, Have done timer record went as
>> planned.

> A couple of glitches in under four days requiring a restart?
>
> Geez, I'd have sent it back already. My DVD recorder has only been turned
> off about four times in nine months, and even then only by accident or due
> to power interruptions.
>
> Turning it off regularly isn't an option, it takes so damn long to turn
> itself on again
>
> The Other Guy

E. Scrooge

"The Other Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43b7085f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> E. Scrooge wrote:
>> Your high end player won't be able to handle the formats that a cheap DVD
>> player can. If you've got a quality high end player it won't CDR - VCDs
>> & SVCDs.
>> My early Toshiba player won't, a friend's Sony & Panasonic late models
>> DVD combo VCR players can't either.

> It is a second generation Pioneer player, it supports DTS, plays
> DVD-R/DVD+R and CD-RW fine, CDR I've never tried. VCDs are supported, SVCD
> is not, but some SVCD disks do apparently play on it at certain
> resolutions.
>
> It is a _DVD_ player. It handles every format I want it to
>
> There is only one disk I own that it doesn't play flawlessly. That is my
> copy of "Short Circuit" (Region 1), where there is a small skip on the
> layer change. Cetainly a lot of the players from that era had problems
> with some titles, but we did a lot of research before purchasing the
> Pioneer.
>
>> And how much is an early expensive DVD player now worth?
>> Stuff all, Charlie - you might get 100 bucks for it if you're lucky.

> The value now is irrelevant, and we would never sell it. The important
> thing is that it has served its purpose, and continues to do so.
>
> The Other Guy

Fair enough, the Toshiba still serves it's purpose as well. One DVD that
the cheap players don't like is the movie Porridge starring Ronnie Barker,
on cheap players the sound is well out of sync right from the start of the
movie. My guess is it's the way which it was formatted. The Toshiba
doesn't have any sound sync problems when playing it.
The commercial VCDs of old which I have a small collection of, are quite
different a from a VCD 2.0 made with decent software on a PC.
For some reason the Toshiba could play an early type of Melody brand CDRs,
even though it's not meant to be able to play any CDRs at all.

E. Scrooge

J Brockley

Panasonic DMREH50 can be had for $660 now so no question.

news:43b4c89a$(E-Mail Removed)...

DSE DVD HD recorder.. XP NZ Computing 20 11-09-2005 11:11 PM
HELP :: DSE DSE 802.11b Broadband Router XH8345 Tony NZ Computing 9 08-04-2005 06:56 AM
DSE DSE 802.11b Broadband Router XH8345 Tony NZ Computing 2 08-03-2005 10:58 PM
JVC DR-MX1S DVD Player/Recorder, Hi-Fi VCR, and Hard Disk Recorder..Suggestions? wildchild79 DVD Video 0 01-23-2005 08:53 PM
DSE DVD Recorder (Mustek Brand) The GHOST of WOGER. NZ Computing 55 07-21-2004 06:57 AM

Advertisments