Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > dse dvd/hdd recorder opinion

dse dvd/hdd recorder opinion

outofdate

"The Other Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43b4dfb9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> outofdate wrote:
> > I was thinking about when I play my factory pressed dvd movies which

are
> > largely in 5.1 sound. Don't misunderstand me, I don't need separate

analog
> > 5.1 outputs just 5.1 digital stream.

> That was really my point, which obviously I didn't make clear. Buy both.
>
> A cheap DVD you can abuse playing DVDs, and a DVD Recorder just for your
> recordings. My opinion is that it isn't worth wasting laser time playing
> back pressed movies on a comparitively expensive recorder.
>
> Depends on your priorities. I personally am a fairly early adopter of
> new technology (when there is a need for it), so given the difference in
> costs between players and recorders at the time, having both made sense.
>
> The Other Guy

Except that I won't use the dvdrecording much anyhow, it's the hdd that will
get the thrashing. I already own 2 dvdplayers so I'm not stuffed by any
means, just would prefer to be able to play my movies on the recorder
although I am far more concerned with other matters, such as useability,
quality and reliability of the dvd/hdd recorder

Kevin

outofdate wrote:
> I am looking at either a panasonic DMREH50 or a dse 120GB hdd dvd recorder
> but the annoying thing is that I can find no reviews or informed opinions on
> the dse recorder, that includes doing a newsgroup archive search, surely
> someone must have bought this model that uses newsgroups. I am in nz and
> I note that this dse dvdrecorder no longer appears on the aussie dse
> website, I
> wonder if that means they are no longer selling it. From what i can see it
> has better specifications than the panasonic, obviously it has 40 gb more
> capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic does
> not, but of course it is the things that are not listed under specs that I
> would like to know about so if anyone has any experience with this unit I
> would greatly appreciate your feedback.

It look like a Hyundai HYD-5001, Google returns many hits............

outofdate

"Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43b59aa0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> outofdate wrote:
> > I am looking at either a panasonic DMREH50 or a dse 120GB hdd dvd

recorder
> > but the annoying thing is that I can find no reviews or informed

opinions on
> > the dse recorder, that includes doing a newsgroup archive search, surely
> > someone must have bought this model that uses newsgroups. I am in nz and
> > I note that this dse dvdrecorder no longer appears on the aussie dse
> > website, I
> > wonder if that means they are no longer selling it. From what i can see

it
> > has better specifications than the panasonic, obviously it has 40 gb

more
> > capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic

does
> > not, but of course it is the things that are not listed under specs that

> > would like to know about so if anyone has any experience with this unit

> > would greatly appreciate your feedback.
> >

> It look like a Hyundai HYD-5001, Google returns many hits............

Thanks, although I really only found one hit that lead to any info, most
hits are just phantom etc...

outofdate

"outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43b59aa0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > outofdate wrote:
> > > I am looking at either a panasonic DMREH50 or a dse 120GB hdd dvd

> recorder
> > > but the annoying thing is that I can find no reviews or informed

> opinions on
> > > the dse recorder, that includes doing a newsgroup archive search,

surely
> > > someone must have bought this model that uses newsgroups. I am in nz

and
> > > I note that this dse dvdrecorder no longer appears on the aussie dse
> > > website, I
> > > wonder if that means they are no longer selling it. From what i can

see
> it
> > > has better specifications than the panasonic, obviously it has 40 gb

> more
> > > capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the

panasonic
> does
> > > not, but of course it is the things that are not listed under specs

that
> > > would like to know about so if anyone has any experience with this

unit
> > > would greatly appreciate your feedback.
> > >

> > It look like a Hyundai HYD-5001, Google returns many hits............

> Thanks, although I really only found one hit that lead to any info, most
> hits are just phantom etc...

And no hits at all on newsgroup archive except for your post, I think i will
steer clear as I know hyundai make some very dodgy cheap products.

J Brockley

"outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message
news:43b4da58$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "The Other Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43b4daf4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Craig Shore wrote:

> does
>> >
>> > A lot of people probably use optical or coaxial digital output off dvd

> players
>> > these days and let the amp do the decoding to 5.1.

>> Given that the DVD recorder only records 2 channel audio, the lack of
>> 5.1 on a DVD recorder isn't a big deal IMO. You're better off having a
>> separate player if you need those things.
>>
>> My DVD recorder is about 9 months old, and it would be lucky to have 2
>> hours on the DVD drive (There is actually a timer which you can access
>> in service mode on the Panisonic players). I use it almost exclusively
>> for hard drive recordings.
>>
>> The Other Guy

> I was thinking about when I play my factory pressed dvd movies which are
> largely in 5.1 sound. Don't misunderstand me, I don't need separate analog
> 5.1 outputs just 5.1 digital stream.

It outputs 5.1 just like any other DVD player but only records in 2 channel
either DD2.0 or PCM

J Brockley

>> "Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:43b59aa0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > >

>> > It look like a Hyundai HYD-5001, Google returns many hits............

>> Thanks, although I really only found one hit that lead to any info, most
>> hits are just phantom etc...
>>

> And no hits at all on newsgroup archive except for your post, I think i
> will
> steer clear as I know hyundai make some very dodgy cheap products.

If its anything like their HDD only model a wise move.

outofdate

"J Brockley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dp4c2b$94c$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote in message
> news:43b4da58$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "The Other Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:43b4daf4$(E-Mail Removed)...

panasonic
> > does

dvd
> > players
> >>
> >> Given that the DVD recorder only records 2 channel audio, the lack of
> >> 5.1 on a DVD recorder isn't a big deal IMO. You're better off having a
> >> separate player if you need those things.
> >>
> >> My DVD recorder is about 9 months old, and it would be lucky to have 2
> >> hours on the DVD drive (There is actually a timer which you can access
> >> in service mode on the Panisonic players). I use it almost exclusively
> >> for hard drive recordings.
> >>
> >> The Other Guy

> > I was thinking about when I play my factory pressed dvd movies which are
> > largely in 5.1 sound. Don't misunderstand me, I don't need separate

analog
> > 5.1 outputs just 5.1 digital stream.
> >

> It outputs 5.1 just like any other DVD player but only records in 2

channel
> either DD2.0 or PCM

That's what you would think but that is not what the manual says, I guess
it's a case of very bad wording.

me.at@yahoo..co..nz

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:39:18 +1300, "outofdate" <outofdate@computer>
wrote:
Hi I got the dse dvd hdd recorder boxing day and have so far given it
a good work out.
If you have a resonable techy mind set up is ok
recording is a breeze to both hdd and dvd
Quality on both is good, to me anyway.
I took the extra warranty only $49.00 for 2 years thought in 2 years
will get another one anyway.
Have had a couple of glitches but just did the old computer trick shut
down fire up again and away we go, Have done timer record went as
planned.
>I am looking at either a panasonic DMREH50 or a dse 120GB hdd dvd recorder
>but the annoying thing is that I can find no reviews or informed opinions on
>the dse recorder, that includes doing a newsgroup archive search, surely
>someone must have bought this model that uses newsgroups. I am in nz and
>I note that this dse dvdrecorder no longer appears on the aussie dse
>website, I
>wonder if that means they are no longer selling it. From what i can see it
>has better specifications than the panasonic, obviously it has 40 gb more
>capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic does
>not, but of course it is the things that are not listed under specs that I
>would like to know about so if anyone has any experience with this unit I
>would greatly appreciate your feedback.

XP

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:45:40 +1300, me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:39:18 +1300, "outofdate" <outofdate@computer>
>wrote:
>Hi I got the dse dvd hdd recorder boxing day and have so far given it
>a good work out.
>If you have a resonable techy mind set up is ok
>recording is a breeze to both hdd and dvd
>Quality on both is good, to me anyway.
>I took the extra warranty only $49.00 for 2 years thought in 2 years

You do not need this as its covered by the C.G.A.

>will get another one anyway.
>Have had a couple of glitches but just did the old computer trick shut
>down fire up again and away we go, Have done timer record went as
>planned.
>>I am looking at either a panasonic DMREH50 or a dse 120GB hdd dvd recorder
>>but the annoying thing is that I can find no reviews or informed opinions on
>>the dse recorder, that includes doing a newsgroup archive search, surely
>>someone must have bought this model that uses newsgroups. I am in nz and
>>I note that this dse dvdrecorder no longer appears on the aussie dse
>>website, I
>>wonder if that means they are no longer selling it. From what i can see it
>>has better specifications than the panasonic, obviously it has 40 gb more
>>capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic does
>>not, but of course it is the things that are not listed under specs that I
>>would like to know about so if anyone has any experience with this unit I
>>would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Barry Lennox

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:45:40 +1300, me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:39:18 +1300, "outofdate" <outofdate@computer>
>wrote:
>Hi I got the dse dvd hdd recorder boxing day and have so far given it
>a good work out.
>If you have a resonable techy mind set up is ok
>recording is a breeze to both hdd and dvd
>Quality on both is good, to me anyway.
>I took the extra warranty only $49.00 for 2 years thought in 2 years
>will get another one anyway.

These extended warranties are 100% BS, and a charming little cash cow
for DSE and other retailers. Some push them very aggressively, and I
saw a nice little confrontation in a retailers' a few years ago, IIRC
it was Noel Leeming. It cost them a sale as the customer stamped out
of the shop.

"Consumer" has raised this a number of times. As another poster points
out, it's all covered by the CGA, and a number of recent court cases
demonstrate that retailers cannot simply state: "Oh really, it failed
after 15 months? our warranty is 12 months, tough ****!"

The courts have consistently ruled that things must last for a
"reasonable period" and yes, that is open to interpretation, but IIRC,
a judge stated a reasonable period for a TV would be 5 years. I would
be inclined to think a DVD recorder would be 3-4 years, but it's got
to be more than 1.

DSE DVD HD recorder.. XP NZ Computing 20 11-09-2005 11:11 PM
HELP :: DSE DSE 802.11b Broadband Router XH8345 Tony NZ Computing 9 08-04-2005 06:56 AM
DSE DSE 802.11b Broadband Router XH8345 Tony NZ Computing 2 08-03-2005 10:58 PM
JVC DR-MX1S DVD Player/Recorder, Hi-Fi VCR, and Hard Disk Recorder..Suggestions? wildchild79 DVD Video 0 01-23-2005 08:53 PM
DSE DVD Recorder (Mustek Brand) The GHOST of WOGER. NZ Computing 55 07-21-2004 06:57 AM

Advertisments