Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > dse dvd/hdd recorder opinion

dse dvd/hdd recorder opinion

outofdate

I am looking at either a panasonic DMREH50 or a dse 120GB hdd dvd recorder
but the annoying thing is that I can find no reviews or informed opinions on
the dse recorder, that includes doing a newsgroup archive search, surely
someone must have bought this model that uses newsgroups. I am in nz and
I note that this dse dvdrecorder no longer appears on the aussie dse
website, I
wonder if that means they are no longer selling it. From what i can see it
has better specifications than the panasonic, obviously it has 40 gb more
capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic does
not, but of course it is the things that are not listed under specs that I
would like to know about so if anyone has any experience with this unit I
would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Redbaiter

> I am looking at either a panasonic DMREH50 or a dse 120GB hdd dvd recorder
> but the annoying thing is that I can find no reviews or informed opinions on
> the dse recorder, that includes doing a newsgroup archive search, surely
> someone must have bought this model that uses newsgroups. I am in nz and
> I note that this dse dvdrecorder no longer appears on the aussie dse
> website, I
> wonder if that means they are no longer selling it. From what i can see it
> has better specifications than the panasonic, obviously it has 40 gb more
> capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic does
> not, but of course it is the things that are not listed under specs that I
> would like to know about so if anyone has any experience with this unit I
> would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Panasonic are a bit buggy. DSE is more robust technically. The
Panasonic model I have (DMR E100H that I bought some years ago),
is only comfortable with DVD RAM discs. It will write onto DVD-R
but they still don't like it much.

Computer DVD drives quite commonly are not compatible with DVD
RAM. Some can read but not many can write. Mind you, it doesn't
cost much to buy drives that do read and write DVD RAM. If you
don't want to edit video on your computer its not something you
need to worry about. DSE units use the much more common DVD +R
format. Maybe Panasonic does too now.

The DSE units don't appear to have any comprehensive editing
facility. With a Panasonic unit you can do most things you want
such as splitting and deleting sections you don't need. Even
build menus. They'll both playback most kinds of DVDS. No
noticeable difference in recorded video quality.

The Other Guy

Redbaiter wrote:

>>I am looking at either a panasonic DMREH50 or a dse 120GB hdd dvd recorder
>>but the annoying thing is that I can find no reviews or informed opinions on
>>the dse recorder, that includes doing a newsgroup archive search, surely
>>someone must have bought this model that uses newsgroups. I am in nz and
>>I note that this dse dvdrecorder no longer appears on the aussie dse
>>website, I
>>wonder if that means they are no longer selling it. From what i can see it
>>has better specifications than the panasonic, obviously it has 40 gb more
>>capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic does
>>not, but of course it is the things that are not listed under specs that I
>>would like to know about so if anyone has any experience with this unit I
>>would greatly appreciate your feedback.
>>

> Panasonic are a bit buggy. DSE is more robust technically. The
> Panasonic model I have (DMR E100H that I bought some years ago),
> is only comfortable with DVD RAM discs. It will write onto DVD-R
> but they still don't like it much.
>
> Computer DVD drives quite commonly are not compatible with DVD
> RAM. Some can read but not many can write. Mind you, it doesn't
> cost much to buy drives that do read and write DVD RAM. If you
> don't want to edit video on your computer its not something you
> need to worry about. DSE units use the much more common DVD +R
> format. Maybe Panasonic does too now.
>
> The DSE units don't appear to have any comprehensive editing
> facility. With a Panasonic unit you can do most things you want
> such as splitting and deleting sections you don't need. Even
> build menus. They'll both playback most kinds of DVDS. No
> noticeable difference in recorded video quality.

The DMR-E100H has better editing abilities than the DMR-E500H (Which is
the expensive 400GB model), so if editing is important, check the
features of the DMR-E50H and see if they do what you require.

I went with Panasonic specifically for DVD-RAM, and purchased a DVD-RAM
capable DVD writer. I have yet to purchase editing software... MPEG
Video Wizard is nice, but they haven't responded to my e-mails asking
them how to enter the discount code they sent me! Not going to buy it
unless I get my discount.

The Other Guy

Redbaiter

> > Panasonic are a bit buggy. DSE is more robust technically. The
> > Panasonic model I have (DMR E100H that I bought some years ago),
> > is only comfortable with DVD RAM discs. It will write onto DVD-R
> > but they still don't like it much.
> >
> > Computer DVD drives quite commonly are not compatible with DVD
> > RAM. Some can read but not many can write. Mind you, it doesn't
> > cost much to buy drives that do read and write DVD RAM. If you
> > don't want to edit video on your computer its not something you
> > need to worry about. DSE units use the much more common DVD +R
> > format. Maybe Panasonic does too now.
> >
> > The DSE units don't appear to have any comprehensive editing
> > facility. With a Panasonic unit you can do most things you want
> > such as splitting and deleting sections you don't need. Even
> > build menus. They'll both playback most kinds of DVDS. No
> > noticeable difference in recorded video quality.

> The DMR-E100H has better editing abilities than the DMR-E500H (Which is
> the expensive 400GB model), so if editing is important, check the
> features of the DMR-E50H and see if they do what you require.
>
> I went with Panasonic specifically for DVD-RAM, and purchased a DVD-RAM
> capable DVD writer. I have yet to purchase editing software... MPEG
> Video Wizard is nice, but they haven't responded to my e-mails asking
> them how to enter the discount code they sent me! Not going to buy it
> unless I get my discount.
>
> The Other Guy

Canopus Lets Edit is IMHO one of the best video editing
programs. TMPG Studio is pretty good too. There's a cheap model
of that same software called TSUNAMI MPEG that has most of the
features of TMPG Studio. It depends if you like to have
thumbnails in the timeline or not. I find it useful to be able
to view every single frame there. Sony have some fairly complex
programs out but they're expensive.

Intervideo WinDVD Creator is another useful program, along with
Video Redo, although I don't think you can author with it. Many
of the more mainstream video editing programs are a lot of
fluff. Gigabytes of crap all over your disk and less effective
than the programs I have mentioned above.

Craig Shore

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:39:18 +1300, "outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote:

>capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic does
>not,

A lot of people probably use optical or coaxial digital output off dvd players
these days and let the amp do the decoding to 5.1.

outofdate

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

> >capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic

does
> >not,

> A lot of people probably use optical or coaxial digital output off dvd

players
> these days and let the amp do the decoding to 5.1.

Yeah I assumed that the panasonic outputted digital 5.1 as I have never
heard of a dvdplayer that doesn't but believe it or not the panasonic
outputs 2.0 digital sound, I still am having difficulty believing this
myself but i looked at the manual I downloaded and it specifically says that
even when using the optical output the sound will still be only 2 channels
when playing dvd audio. I still wonder if the manual is so badly worded as
to give a false impression of this as I have never before heard of such a
thing and from what i know it makes no sense to me, it seems impossible that
the manual would be correct but it says what it says several times and never
says anything to the contrary.

The Other Guy

Craig Shore wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:39:18 +1300, "outofdate" <outofdate@computer> wrote:
>>capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic does
>>not,

> A lot of people probably use optical or coaxial digital output off dvd players
> these days and let the amp do the decoding to 5.1.

Given that the DVD recorder only records 2 channel audio, the lack of
5.1 on a DVD recorder isn't a big deal IMO. You're better off having a
separate player if you need those things.

My DVD recorder is about 9 months old, and it would be lucky to have 2
hours on the DVD drive (There is actually a timer which you can access
in service mode on the Panisonic players). I use it almost exclusively
for hard drive recordings.

The Other Guy

outofdate

"Redbaiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43b4ce14$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Panasonic are a bit buggy. DSE is more robust technically. The
> Panasonic model I have (DMR E100H that I bought some years ago),
> is only comfortable with DVD RAM discs. It will write onto DVD-R
> but they still don't like it much.

I presume you are basing your buggy opinion on your old dvd recorder?

DSE units use the much more common DVD +R
> format. Maybe Panasonic does too now.

Yep it does.

outofdate

news:43b4daf4$(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:
> >>capacity but it also outputs 5.1 sound which surprisingly the panasonic

does
> >>not,

> > A lot of people probably use optical or coaxial digital output off dvd

players
> > these days and let the amp do the decoding to 5.1.

> Given that the DVD recorder only records 2 channel audio, the lack of
> 5.1 on a DVD recorder isn't a big deal IMO. You're better off having a
> separate player if you need those things.
>
> My DVD recorder is about 9 months old, and it would be lucky to have 2
> hours on the DVD drive (There is actually a timer which you can access
> in service mode on the Panisonic players). I use it almost exclusively
> for hard drive recordings.
>
> The Other Guy

I was thinking about when I play my factory pressed dvd movies which are
largely in 5.1 sound. Don't misunderstand me, I don't need separate analog
5.1 outputs just 5.1 digital stream.

The Other Guy

outofdate wrote:
> I was thinking about when I play my factory pressed dvd movies which are
> largely in 5.1 sound. Don't misunderstand me, I don't need separate analog
> 5.1 outputs just 5.1 digital stream.

That was really my point, which obviously I didn't make clear. Buy both.

A cheap DVD you can abuse playing DVDs, and a DVD Recorder just for your
recordings. My opinion is that it isn't worth wasting laser time playing
back pressed movies on a comparitively expensive recorder.

Depends on your priorities. I personally am a fairly early adopter of
new technology (when there is a need for it), so given the difference in
costs between players and recorders at the time, having both made sense.

The Other Guy

DSE DVD HD recorder.. XP NZ Computing 20 11-09-2005 11:11 PM
HELP :: DSE DSE 802.11b Broadband Router XH8345 Tony NZ Computing 9 08-04-2005 06:56 AM
DSE DSE 802.11b Broadband Router XH8345 Tony NZ Computing 2 08-03-2005 10:58 PM
JVC DR-MX1S DVD Player/Recorder, Hi-Fi VCR, and Hard Disk Recorder..Suggestions? wildchild79 DVD Video 0 01-23-2005 08:53 PM
DSE DVD Recorder (Mustek Brand) The GHOST of WOGER. NZ Computing 55 07-21-2004 06:57 AM

Advertisments