Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL performance crap today..... ?

ADSL performance crap today..... ?

steve

It's been shocking all day.....and I picked today to re-build one of my
systems from scratch and download 350MB of updates.

The package downloads failed at least 6 times.......and took almost 9
hours.

It should have taken less than one hour.

gimp

steve wrote:
> The package downloads failed at least 6 times.......and took almost 9
> hours.
>
> It should have taken less than one hour.

heh - i'm not looking forward to next week when i do an XP install, how
long will i have online to do updates before i get taken down by a
virus..? its down to something like 15 mins..?

Geoff M

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:37:43 +1300, gimp wrote:

> steve wrote:
>> The package downloads failed at least 6 times.......and took almost 9
>> hours.
>>
>> It should have taken less than one hour.

> heh - i'm not looking forward to next week when i do an XP install, how
> long will i have online to do updates before i get taken down by a
> virus..? its down to something like 15 mins..?

Download Autopatcher before you start - all the updates in one tasty
package.
Geoff

gimp

Geoff M wrote:
> Download Autopatcher before you start - all the updates in one tasty
> package.

cool - that's just the critical OS updates right..? not the recommended
or hardware updates (which i don't want ).

mario

gimp wrote:
> Geoff M wrote:
>> Download Autopatcher before you start - all the updates in one tasty
>> package.

> cool - that's just the critical OS updates right..? not the recommended
> or hardware updates (which i don't want ).

When you install Autopatcher you get to pick which patches to apply.

mario

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> It's been shocking all day.....and I picked today to re-build one of my
> systems from scratch and download 350MB of updates.
>
> The package downloads failed at least 6 times.......and took almost 9
> hours.
>
> It should have taken less than one hour.

Are you using a resuming downloader, such as wget?

news.xtra.co.nz

"gimp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dp1kpm$6tj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> steve wrote:
>> The package downloads failed at least 6 times.......and took almost 9
>> hours.
>>
>> It should have taken less than one hour.

> heh - i'm not looking forward to next week when i do an XP install, how
> long will i have online to do updates before i get taken down by a
> virus..? its down to something like 15 mins..?

Surely if you have service pack 2 installation cd you'll be sweet?

So, install xp, install sp2, switch on firewall, connect to net and download
updates.

You'll be right as rain.

Rob J

In article <YK8tf.11363$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> "gimp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dp1kpm$6tj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > steve wrote:
> >> The package downloads failed at least 6 times.......and took almost 9
> >> hours.
> >>
> >> It should have taken less than one hour.

> > heh - i'm not looking forward to next week when i do an XP install, how
> > long will i have online to do updates before i get taken down by a
> > virus..? its down to something like 15 mins..?

> Surely if you have service pack 2 installation cd you'll be sweet?

Good enough to keep the machine up while updates are installed. Don't
listen to all that crap from MS haters.

swints

Whats all this firewall business about!?!?!

I work for an Internet Helpdesk and have been without a firewall for 2
years!

I think the public is too concerned about being infected or having
their privacy invaded. I wonder who has been perpetuating this problem
of paranoia!?!?!

Waylon Kenning

T'was the 1 Jan 2006 21:33:06 -0800 when I remembered "swints"

>I work for an Internet Helpdesk and have been without a firewall for 2
>years!

By working at an internet helpdesk, this may (or may not) show a
higher intelligence in terms of computing than the rest of the general
population. While you maybe aware that those flashing ads on websites
saying "You may have spyware on your system. Click here to remove" are
just ads, I know people who think that they're real dialog boxes.
Having a firewall certainly doesn't harm your chances of staying
protected.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.