Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The mystries of using an inkjet printer...

The mystries of using an inkjet printer...

Max Burke

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 890.

it's an excellent printer for doing high quality photo prints up to A4 size.
But as with most inkjet printers it's very expensive as far as ink is
concerned.
I have found that if the printer is not used for a week or more, I usually
had to spend 5 - 10 minutes doing head cleanings to get it to print without
colours/black missing; That usually led to anything from 30 - 50% of the ink
cartridges being wasted on nozzle cleanings..

Any way a couple of months ago I changed the cable on it from a parallel
cable to a USB2 cable.
Since then I have only haven't had to do any nozzle cleanings at all; Even
if I don't use it for a couple of weeks I can now just turn it on and start
printing straight away....

Given that the only change I've made is swapping it to USB can anyone
suggest why it doesn't need nozzle cleanings all the time when on a USB
cable but does on parallel cable?

I'm not complaining, but cant figure out what difference this change of
cable would make to the printer and the nozzle cleaning requirements.

Found Images

Juicytree

"Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

I can only hazard a guess that when using a parallel cable the printer
head/s didn't park properly and the usb makes the head park on an airtight
rubber protective base.

> I have an Epson Stylus Photo 890.
>
> it's an excellent printer for doing high quality photo prints up to A4
> size. But as with most inkjet printers it's very expensive as far as
> ink is concerned.
> I have found that if the printer is not used for a week or more, I
> usually had to spend 5 - 10 minutes doing head cleanings to get it to
> print without colours/black missing; That usually led to anything from
> 30 - 50% of the ink cartridges being wasted on nozzle cleanings..
>
> Any way a couple of months ago I changed the cable on it from a
> parallel cable to a USB2 cable.
> Since then I have only haven't had to do any nozzle cleanings at all;
> Even if I don't use it for a couple of weeks I can now just turn it
> on and start printing straight away....
>
> Given that the only change I've made is swapping it to USB can anyone
> suggest why it doesn't need nozzle cleanings all the time when on a
> USB cable but does on parallel cable?
>
> I'm not complaining, but cant figure out what difference this change
> of cable would make to the printer and the nozzle cleaning
> requirements.

XP

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:22:43 +1300, "Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an Epson Stylus Photo 890.
>
>it's an excellent printer for doing high quality photo prints up to A4 size.
>But as with most inkjet printers it's very expensive as far as ink is
>concerned.
>I have found that if the printer is not used for a week or more, I usually
>had to spend 5 - 10 minutes doing head cleanings to get it to print without
>colours/black missing; That usually led to anything from 30 - 50% of the ink
>cartridges being wasted on nozzle cleanings..
>
>Any way a couple of months ago I changed the cable on it from a parallel
>cable to a USB2 cable.
>Since then I have only haven't had to do any nozzle cleanings at all; Even
>if I don't use it for a couple of weeks I can now just turn it on and start
>printing straight away....
>
>Given that the only change I've made is swapping it to USB can anyone
>suggest why it doesn't need nozzle cleanings all the time when on a USB
>cable but does on parallel cable?
>
>I'm not complaining, but cant figure out what difference this change of
>cable would make to the printer and the nozzle cleaning requirements.

The Cable has nothing to do with it ALL, Epson printers Must be turn on once
a week. you do not have to print any thing just turn it on.

Also Epson printers do not like a hot environment, this causes the ink to dry
up in the print heads..

steve

Max Burke wrote:
> I have an Epson Stylus Photo 890.

I had a Photo 700. Great printer....until it broke (after 5-ish years).

> it's an excellent printer for doing high quality photo prints up to A4
> size.
> But as with most inkjet printers it's very expensive as far as ink is
> concerned.

Absolutely!!! We bought a Brother HL-1440 laser for everyday text
printing with Windows and Linux.

Even at moderate volumes, a laser pays for itself quickly compared to an
inkjet.

> I have found that if the printer is not used for a week or more, I
> usually had to spend 5 - 10 minutes doing head cleanings to get it to
> print without colours/black missing; That usually led to anything from
> 30 - 50% of the ink cartridges being wasted on nozzle cleanings..

Yes. It can be more expensive to use your inkjet printer less.

If you carry online that, it will break and your cost / page will prove
to have been very expensive.

> Any way a couple of months ago I changed the cable on it from a parallel
> cable to a USB2 cable.
> Since then I have only haven't had to do any nozzle cleanings at all;
> Even if I don't use it for a couple of weeks I can now just turn it on
> and start printing straight away....

Weird.

> Given that the only change I've made is swapping it to USB can anyone
> suggest why it doesn't need nozzle cleanings all the time when on a USB
> cable but does on parallel cable?

No. The method of connection *should* be irrelevant.....but then this is
an inkjet.

XP wrote:

> The Cable has nothing to do with it ALL, Epson printers Must be turn on once
> a week. you do not have to print any thing just turn it on.

Mine was on 24/7 unless the power went out.

XP

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:12:12 +1300, steve
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>XP wrote:
>
>> The Cable has nothing to do with it ALL, Epson printers Must be turn on once
>> a week. you do not have to print any thing just turn it on.

>Mine was on 24/7 unless the power went out.

A VERY BIG NO, as the print head is not capped/covered when powed up.

The Print head has to be covered to stop the ink from drying out, so leaving
it on is the worse thing you can do with a Epson..

Every time you turn it on it does a head cleanng cycle, but not all the time
its know when it was last done and it does not do it again, yes it has some
intelligents.

steve

XP wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:12:12 +1300, steve
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>XP wrote:
>>

>>>The Cable has nothing to do with it ALL, Epson printers Must be turn on once
>>>a week. you do not have to print any thing just turn it on.

>>Mine was on 24/7 unless the power went out.

> A VERY BIG NO, as the print head is not capped/covered when powed up.
>
> The Print head has to be covered to stop the ink from drying out, so leaving
> it on is the worse thing you can do with a Epson..
>
> Every time you turn it on it does a head cleanng cycle, but not all the time
> its know when it was last done and it does not do it again, yes it has some
> intelligents.

Based on what I can recall, you would be right.

ZzzummM

I have an Epson 890. I find I can get at least 30% more printing out of
it if I override the printer software with the SSC printer utility .Free
from http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
I recommend it.

Max Burke wrote:

> I have an Epson Stylus Photo 890.
>
> it's an excellent printer for doing high quality photo prints up to A4
> size.
> But as with most inkjet printers it's very expensive as far as ink is
> concerned.
> I have found that if the printer is not used for a week or more, I
> usually had to spend 5 - 10 minutes doing head cleanings to get it to
> print without colours/black missing; That usually led to anything from
> 30 - 50% of the ink cartridges being wasted on nozzle cleanings..
>
> Any way a couple of months ago I changed the cable on it from a
> parallel cable to a USB2 cable.
> Since then I have only haven't had to do any nozzle cleanings at all;
> Even if I don't use it for a couple of weeks I can now just turn it
> on and start printing straight away....
>
> Given that the only change I've made is swapping it to USB can anyone
> suggest why it doesn't need nozzle cleanings all the time when on a
> USB cable but does on parallel cable?
>
> I'm not complaining, but cant figure out what difference this change
> of cable would make to the printer and the nozzle cleaning requirements.

Max Burke

> ZzzummM scribbled:
> I have an Epson 890. I find I can get at least 30% more printing out
> of it if I override the printer software with the SSC printer utility
> .Free from http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
> I recommend it.

Already using it. (had it for over a year, but it doesn't get much use since
changing to USB...)

--
(E-Mail Removed)
Found Images