Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How long have you been online?

How long have you been online?

alastair.geek.nz

Squirrel wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:15:38 +1300, JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >How long have you been online?
> >
> >Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133, 16mb of
> >ram and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard drive. That computer
> >is still going strong and the monitor is like it was when new. The
> >machine cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

> abut 13 years if you count BBS life then Net

I started using BBSs in 1996, and I got onto the Internet about a year
later. As for my computer history, I had an Atari 800XL until 1994,
which was replaced with an Apple LC575. In 1999, I got a G3 iMac, in
2002 a G3 iBook and, this year, a G4 iBook.

Bruce Knox

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:15:38 +1300, JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How long have you been online?
>
>Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133, 16mb of
>ram and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard drive. That computer
>is still going strong and the monitor is like it was when new. The
>machine cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

First connected to BBS around 1987. Not the real internet though. I
remember it being available via a local business a couple of years
later but it would have been about 1992?? before I connected. Been
using computers since the early 70's. Owned by databank who did all
the bank work at the time. Imagine a bank these days giving outsiders
access to hteir computers.
Bruce.

Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
http://physio.otago.ac.nz

Mark Remfrey

news:43b35296$(E-Mail Removed)...
> steve wrote:
>> JC wrote:
>>

> ...and if "online" includes BBS activity....than I'd have to go back to
> 1986-7.
>
> The Cave was a popular 'place'....and the FIDOnet BBS network carried
> early Internet e-mail and newsgroup traffic for those who couldn't get to
> Actrix or some other Internet access point.

"Engaged...... engaged..... engaged....." C'Mon Mr Lear, get some more
modems and lines! I donated him 4...LOL

Then you'd get on, and it was like "You have 5 minutes left for today"

--

Regards,
Mark Remfrey

"Two wrongs don't make a right.... it usually takes three or more!"

~misfit~

~misfit~ wrote:

> Actually the 900 is a
> Socket 370, the only one I've owned that wasn't built into a slocket.

Eeek!! I'm a liar! I have owned a couple Socket 370 boards here and there,
just haven't run one for any length of time. I like the 440BX chipset for
CPUs of that era and I've only had one Socket 370 board that was a BX
chipset. Sadly that suffered from bad caps.

I was given it as a 'fixer' and, despite replacing about 12 caps I was
unable to get it to run stably. A real shame as it was what was quite
possibly the best BX board ever made, an ABIT BX133 RAID reviwed here:

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardw...eviews/2291/1/

Just wanted to put the record straight about my ownership of Socket 370
boards. Heh, several people in the group *know* I've had a few 370 boards.
I just haven't used them for long whereas I'm still using 3 Slot 1
boards.
--
~misfit~

Mark Robinson

Bruce Knox wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:15:38 +1300, JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>How long have you been online?
>>
>>Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133, 16mb of
>>ram and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard drive. That computer
>>is still going strong and the monitor is like it was when new. The
>>machine cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

> First connected to BBS around 1987. Not the real internet though. I
> remember it being available via a local business a couple of years
> later but it would have been about 1992?? before I connected. Been
> using computers since the early 70's. Owned by databank who did all
> the bank work at the time. Imagine a bank these days giving outsiders
> access to hteir computers.

Perhaps you haven't noticed that some of them are using Diebold ATMs.

Mark C

JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dov9ps$qqt$(E-Mail Removed):

> How long have you been online?
>
> Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133,
> 16mb of ram and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard
> drive. That computer is still going strong and the monitor is
> like it was when new. The machine cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

Online (Compuserve) 11.8+ years.
Online (Internet) 9.6+ years.

My first PC was a Sinclair ZX80 (imported from USA).
1KB shared program and video RAM (yes !) and 4KB ROM.
Cost me US$200+import duties.

Mark

steve

Brendan wrote:
> I have seen
> the net go from a domain of technicians, engineers, experts and scientists
> to a vast rabble of mouthy half-wits.
> That's probably a bit harsh but there is definitely a lot of crap online
> now.

Not harsh at all.

Most of the good folk moved off when the "mouthy half-wits" moved in.

usenet before 1995 was excellent compared to what we see today.

Stephen Worthington

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:53:26 +1300, steve
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>JC wrote:
>> How long have you been online?
>>
>> Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133, 16mb of
>> ram and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard drive. That computer
>> is still going strong and the monitor is like it was when new. The
>> machine cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

>October / November 1990.
>
>IBM PC XT - twin 360k floppies and 10MB HD - Amber monochrome monitor.
>
>2400bps external modem to a shell account on Actrix...which used to be
>$168 / annum (flat rate). Almost no one at that time had DIRECT internet
>access the way we do now. You had to ftp a file to Actrix, then Zmodem
>download it your PC at a (then) really fast 13KB / minute.
>
>Actrix connection to the outside world was a HUGE 19.2kbps.....and it
>was at that time the only ISP in NZ that would take anyone (Auckland's
>kcbbs was restricted by capacity and you had to know someone to be able
>to join).

Correction - Actrix's modem to Victoria University and the Internet
only did 16800 bps - I wrote the firmware for it, and the fastest the
DSP pump hardware would run was V.32 terbo. We spent several days
tweaking the firmware in the back bedroom of John Vorsterman's house
where Actrix lived. Eventually we got it so that the modem would
always reconnect rapidly if it got knocked offline, and was getting
the best compression we could manage (the V.42 bis I wrote used all
the optional extras in the V.42 bis standard). The connection used
our modems at both ends in order to be able to do 16800 instead of
14400. I think Actrix had only 6 or 7 dial-in lines at the time.

steve

Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:53:26 +1300, steve
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>JC wrote:
>>
>>>How long have you been online?
>>>
>>>Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133, 16mb of
>>>ram and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard drive. That computer
>>>is still going strong and the monitor is like it was when new. The
>>>machine cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

>>October / November 1990.
>>
>>IBM PC XT - twin 360k floppies and 10MB HD - Amber monochrome monitor.
>>
>>2400bps external modem to a shell account on Actrix...which used to be
>>$168 / annum (flat rate). Almost no one at that time had DIRECT internet
>>access the way we do now. You had to ftp a file to Actrix, then Zmodem
>>download it your PC at a (then) really fast 13KB / minute.
>>
>>Actrix connection to the outside world was a HUGE 19.2kbps.....and it
>>was at that time the only ISP in NZ that would take anyone (Auckland's
>>kcbbs was restricted by capacity and you had to know someone to be able
>>to join).

> Correction - Actrix's modem to Victoria University and the Internet
> only did 16800 bps - I wrote the firmware for it, and the fastest the
> DSP pump hardware would run was V.32 terbo. We spent several days
> tweaking the firmware in the back bedroom of John Vorsterman's house
> where Actrix lived. Eventually we got it so that the modem would
> always reconnect rapidly if it got knocked offline, and was getting
> the best compression we could manage (the V.42 bis I wrote used all
> the optional extras in the V.42 bis standard). The connection used
> our modems at both ends in order to be able to do 16800 instead of
> 14400. I think Actrix had only 6 or 7 dial-in lines at the time.

Thanks, Stephen.

You're the man.

Robin Halligan

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:15:38 +1300, JC wrote:

> How long have you been online?
>
> Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133, 16mb of
> ram and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard drive. That computer
> is still going strong and the monitor is like it was when new. The
> machine cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

Ouch

I started in 1981 with a ZX81 with a staggering 16 K ram
then graduated to a Vic 20 then a C 64 Then an Amiga 500 then an Amiga
2000 9 Meg of ram and a 68030 accelerator then a pc 386 66 dx ( i think)
then a couple of others up till today with a machine that would have seemed
Sci-fi way back then.

As to online started with my 64 and a 300 baud modem and BBS's in the early
80's and then had a sneaker mail news group link on the Amiga's (that was
fun) then finally got online (internet) early 90s, The first post i can
find from me is in april of 93 with my first email address
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (way back when we was charged $20 a meg for
email.

--
I, too, bold navigator cringe my dribblies at your resplendent pofflesnu!