Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How long have you been online?

How long have you been online?

GraB

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:15:38 +1300, JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How long have you been online?
>
>Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133, 16mb of
>ram and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard drive. That computer
>is still going strong and the monitor is like it was when new. The
>machine cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

Been online since April '98, with a 33.6k modem. Didn't think I
needed it. First PC, bought 2nd hand in '95, was a 386DX40 with 4megs
RAM, 170meg Conner hard drive, 256Kb ISA video card. I added a 2x
CD-ROM and SoundBlaster16 soundcard. Eventually upgraded it to
486DX-2/ 80MHz, 16megs RAM 540Mb Fireball hard drive, 4Mb S3 Virge.

steve

JC wrote:
> How long have you been online?
>
> Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133, 16mb of
> ram and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard drive. That computer
> is still going strong and the monitor is like it was when new. The
> machine cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

October / November 1990.

IBM PC XT - twin 360k floppies and 10MB HD - Amber monochrome monitor.

2400bps external modem to a shell account on Actrix...which used to be
$168 / annum (flat rate). Almost no one at that time had DIRECT internet
access the way we do now. You had to ftp a file to Actrix, then Zmodem
download it your PC at a (then) really fast 13KB / minute.

Actrix connection to the outside world was a HUGE 19.2kbps.....and it
was at that time the only ISP in NZ that would take anyone (Auckland's
kcbbs was restricted by capacity and you had to know someone to be able
to join).

EMB

Craig Whitmore wrote:

> Myself., I've been on the internet before there where webpages.

Same here.

--
EMB

steve

steve wrote:
> JC wrote:
>
>> How long have you been online?
>>
>> Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133, 16mb of
>> ram and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard drive. That
>> computer is still going strong and the monitor is like it was when
>> new. The machine cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

> October / November 1990.
>
> IBM PC XT - twin 360k floppies and 10MB HD - Amber monochrome monitor.
>
> 2400bps external modem to a shell account on Actrix...which used to be
> $168 / annum (flat rate). Almost no one at that time had DIRECT internet
> access the way we do now. You had to ftp a file to Actrix, then Zmodem
> download it your PC at a (then) really fast 13KB / minute.
>
> Actrix connection to the outside world was a HUGE 19.2kbps.....and it
> was at that time the only ISP in NZ that would take anyone (Auckland's
> kcbbs was restricted by capacity and you had to know someone to be able
> to join).

....and if "online" includes BBS activity....than I'd have to go back to
1986-7.

The Cave was a popular 'place'....and the FIDOnet BBS network carried
early Internet e-mail and newsgroup traffic for those who couldn't get
to Actrix or some other Internet access point.

Few businesses had Internet. It was people using it at home that dragged
it into work.....much like DOS and then Windows in that regard.

Dave Green

JC wrote:
> How long have you been online?
>
> Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133, 16mb of
> ram and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard drive. That computer
> is still going strong and the monitor is like it was when new. The
> machine cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

Vaxnotes on Easynet - mid 80's I think.

Dave

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:15:38 +1300, JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:dov9ps$qqt$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> How long have you been online?
>
> Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133, 16mb of
> ram and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard drive. That computer
> is still going strong and the monitor is like it was when new. The
> machine cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

Probably fifteen years or more in total - I'll lay claim to nine years,
going on ten, on the Internet - my first archived posting to Usenet was on
5APR1996, and I had been BBSing or on FidoNet (or both) for about 10 years
prior to that. They were "interesting" times indeed, indeed.

--
Nicolaas

Brendan

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:15:38 +1300, JC wrote:

> How long have you been online?
>
> Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133, 16mb of
> ram and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard drive. That computer
> is still going strong and the monitor is like it was when new. The
> machine cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

1990 or there abouts, with an atari ST and later an amiga. BBS's, some of
which has usenet access.

The internet around 1992 or 95 IIRC, on an amiga - I was the only one
around the area who could configure the TCP/IP stack and SLIP to work on an
amiga. First ISP was Efficient Software of Dunedin, who were bought up by
IHUG a couple of years later. Think I was using a PC from about 95 onwards.

10, 12 years depending on your definition. Hard to believe it's been that
long.

When I started, if you had a computer at all it was likely a commodore 64,
or an amiga if you were rich. Now most everyone has a computer. I have seen
the net go from a domain of technicians, engineers, experts and scientists
to a vast rabble of mouthy half-wits.
That's probably a bit harsh but there is definitely a lot of crap online
now. It used to be about swapping information, co-operation and knowledge.
Now it's about money and control, it's being subverted into a money machine
by those who already have FAR too much.

--

.... Brendan

#2999 +(3714)- [X]

<kyourek> There was a 23% drop in temperature.
<nappyjallapy> That's almost 25%!
<kyourek> ... That was one of the most worthless comments I've ever heard.

Note: All my comments are copyright 29/12/2005 4:12:57 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

XPD

"JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:dov9ps$qqt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How long have you been online?
>
> Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133, 16mb of ram
> and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard drive. That computer is
> still going strong and the monitor is like it was when new. The machine
> cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

Cant remember what year it was exactly but I was on my Amiga500 running
Miami TCP stack and Ibrowse...even purchased a legit copy for some reason
:-p
Think I only had 6mb of RAM then with a 120mb HDD
To be honest, Id still be on it today if it wasnt for the HDD controller
packing it in.

But I remember my 1st ISP.... (and a certain someone here will remember them
very well ) - Sinesurf.co.nz - $35 flat rate - they were an IAP NOT an
ISP...not that they couldve helped me anyway being on my miggy
Interesting bunch of staff there.....

~misfit~

GraB wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:15:38 +1300, JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> How long have you been online?
>>
>> Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133, 16mb of
>> ram and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard drive. That
>> computer is still going strong and the monitor is like it was when
>> new. The machine cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

> Been online since April '98, with a 33.6k modem. Didn't think I
> needed it. First PC, bought 2nd hand in '95, was a 386DX40 with 4megs
> RAM, 170meg Conner hard drive, 256Kb ISA video card. I added a 2x
> CD-ROM and SoundBlaster16 soundcard. Eventually upgraded it to
> 486DX-2/ 80MHz, 16megs RAM 540Mb Fireball hard drive, 4Mb S3 Virge.

I've been online about 8-9 years, bought my first PC (and modem) the year
before but, living in the country, internet access was too expensive.

My first PC, which replaced an Amiga 500 I'd had for a little while, was a
Total Peripherals 'Multimedia' 486DX2/66, 420MB HDD, 2x CD-ROM, Creative
Vibra 16 sound card, 256Kb ISA video, 14" monitor. 4MB RAM (Upgraded it to
8MB not long after at a cost of about $250), a Windows-only laser printer
(Winstar?) external powered speakers (quite good actually, I was sad when I
parted with them, they weighed 5x what modern cheapies weigh and sounded
reasonable too) and an external Dynalink 14.4 modem. Running DOS 6.22 and
Win (for workgroups) 3.11. Total cost around $5.5K.

I still have the sound card and the OS disks, although they aren't readable
anymore. Also still have my Windows 95 upgrade CD that I bought the day it
was released. Ugh! Win95a.

That case ended it's life (as far as I was concerned, it got passed on) as a
Pentium 166MMX with 64MB RAM, an 8x CD-ROM, 2MB PCI graphics and a 1.7GB
Maxtor HDD. The only things that were original were the case, PSU and
floppy. I went on to the wonderful world of Slot 1 SECC cartridges (and
slockets), (Klamath, Deschutes, Katmai, Coppermine, Tualatin... Those were
the days) then Socket A, AMD after that. Still on Socket A and Slockets and
will probably stay that way for a while.

Current machines are: Athlon Barton 2600+, T'bred 2200+, Tualatin Celeron
1.4Ghz. 1.3GHz, and Coppermine Celeron 900MHz. Actually the 900 is a Socket
370, the only one I've owned that wasn't built into a slocket. I have a
spare Tualatin 1.2GHz on the shelf. I think these machines are going to have
to last me a while.

LOL, I still have two Coppermine Celeron 600's, cC0 and cB0, stepping, in
slockets, in my drawer, that would both run happilly at 900MHz on a 100MHz
FSB with a little over-volting. I can't bring myself to sell them for the
(probably) $5 each that I'd get for them when they were such great CPUs for
a few years.

Ahhh, the new year approaching, time for reminiscences.
--
~misfit~

Squirrel

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:15:38 +1300, JC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How long have you been online?
>
>Myself it has been 9 years now, started off with an IBM P133, 16mb of
>ram and 1-2mb of shared video ram and a 1.2gb hard drive. That computer
>is still going strong and the monitor is like it was when new. The
>machine cost me $2999 all up. Youch.

abut 13 years if you count BBS life then Net