Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > "broadband" - a couple of interesting articles

"broadband" - a couple of interesting articles

kriskirk@hotmail.com

-=rjh=- wrote:

> Even when browsing on the home network, I doubt that pages are loading
> as fast as 0.27 seconds; there's just so many other factors involved,
> rather than network speed. And out on the public network, more time is
> spent just waiting for adservers to respond, the webserver to assemble

True, so it wasn't a good example to use in his article then.....!

> For me, speed is relatively unimportant, but having the connection
> affordable and always on is very important.

Fair enough, and I suppose that's why a lot of people are still on
dial-up. But I didn't think the article was really talking about cost -
just whether people wanted higher speeds or not. And while I agree that
there will be some point where higher speeds are unnecessary, I don't
think 30mbps is above that point. I reckon once broadband speeds match
LAN speeds then that'll do

~misfit~

> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> They came down at between 220kB/s and 250kB/s while Azureus was
>> (doggedly) getting the other 10kB/s or so. You'd think that, with
>> them claiming that a large number of their customers are P2P users,
>> they'd look after them a bit

> Are you sure it's Orcon that's causing the slow speeds? It's just that
> I'm on the 256k plan and I get huge variations in speed with various
> torrents, ranging from 1k/sec to 30k/sec. I've always just put it down
> to the other PC's that I'm downloading from or something to do with
> the P2P connection rather than Orcon....

No, I'm sure it's Orcon. Two reasons; I've spent enough time watching the
damn files download to be able to recognise the times when there is ample
data available but I just can't get it. (80 seeds, 400 peers, 2.5kB/s
download?) Also I have a Krazy friend just down the road who has a 2M plan
with Xtra and he gets the same files *very* much faster on his connection.
As in, one hour for him, one week for me. No ****, that's the truth. He gets
files about (24 x 7) 168 times faster than me. Both plans are nominally 2M.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

~misfit~ wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> They came down at between 220kB/s and 250kB/s while Azureus was
>>> (doggedly) getting the other 10kB/s or so. You'd think that, with
>>> them claiming that a large number of their customers are P2P users,
>>> they'd look after them a bit

>> Are you sure it's Orcon that's causing the slow speeds? It's just
>> that I'm on the 256k plan and I get huge variations in speed with
>> various torrents, ranging from 1k/sec to 30k/sec. I've always just
>> put it down to the other PC's that I'm downloading from or something
>> to do with the P2P connection rather than Orcon....

> No, I'm sure it's Orcon. Two reasons; I've spent enough time watching
> the damn files download to be able to recognise the times when there
> is ample data available but I just can't get it. (80 seeds, 400
> peers, 2.5kB/s download?) Also I have a Krazy friend just down the
> road who has a 2M plan with Xtra and he gets the same files *very*
> much faster on his connection. As in, one hour for him, one week for
> me. No ****, that's the truth. He gets files about (24 x 7) 168 times
> faster than me. Both plans are nominally 2M.

Just left Azureus running for four hours while I had a wee sleep (10:54pm -
3:45am) and, downloading a well-seeded torrent, I got 48MB (Of 1.2GB).
Probably not a lot more than I would get on 56k dial up.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

~misfit~ wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> Are you sure it's Orcon that's causing the slow speeds? It's just
>>> that I'm on the 256k plan and I get huge variations in speed with
>>> various torrents, ranging from 1k/sec to 30k/sec. I've always just
>>> put it down to the other PC's that I'm downloading from or something
>>> to do with the P2P connection rather than Orcon....

>> No, I'm sure it's Orcon. Two reasons; I've spent enough time watching
>> the damn files download to be able to recognise the times when there
>> is ample data available but I just can't get it. (80 seeds, 400
>> peers, 2.5kB/s download?) Also I have a Krazy friend just down the
>> road who has a 2M plan with Xtra and he gets the same files *very*
>> much faster on his connection. As in, one hour for him, one week for
>> me. No ****, that's the truth. He gets files about (24 x 7) 168 times
>> faster than me. Both plans are nominally 2M.

> Just left Azureus running for four hours while I had a wee sleep
> (10:54pm - 3:45am) and, downloading a well-seeded torrent, I got 48MB
> (Of 1.2GB). Probably not a lot more than I would get on 56k dial up.

LOL, I thought, as the P2P was going so slowly, I'd stop it, check
newsgroups, then play an on-line game. Played for about 15 minutes with lots
of periods of lag until I got dumped from the server with a ping-time of
2,624ms. The servers, based in the states, are only lightly loaded as
evidenced by the </players> command.

This is getting beyond a joke. The status page

http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/status

hasn't been updated since just after the new ATM came on-line, the 7th
December. At least the ATM usage part hasn't. I'd like to see it now. A real
representation, during peak hours and at night. How hard can it be to run a
wee script to update it twice daily? Sheeit, even show it in real-time. I
can do that with my connections easilly and I don't have Orcon's resources.
(Ferrari etc.) Otherwise what's the point in having it there? Month-old data
isn't relavant.

I've said it before but I swear I'm not likely to be in a position to say it
much more. If they don't get their **** together bloody soon not only am I
out of there but I forsee bad things for Orcon. How long can you run a
business on promises? I have been disconnected 17 times since Xmas day FFS!
Twice in the middle of a game with a friend from Philadelphia. And I've just
paid them $92 dollars for last month's usage. (Including Tolls).
--
~misfit~

Squirrel

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 04:24:40 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>~misfit~ wrote:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> No, I'm sure it's Orcon. Two reasons; I've spent enough time watching
>>> the damn files download to be able to recognise the times when there
>>> is ample data available but I just can't get it. (80 seeds, 400
>>> peers, 2.5kB/s download?) Also I have a Krazy friend just down the
>>> road who has a 2M plan with Xtra and he gets the same files *very*
>>> much faster on his connection. As in, one hour for him, one week for
>>> me. No ****, that's the truth. He gets files about (24 x 7) 168 times
>>> faster than me. Both plans are nominally 2M.

>> Just left Azureus running for four hours while I had a wee sleep
>> (10:54pm - 3:45am) and, downloading a well-seeded torrent, I got 48MB
>> (Of 1.2GB). Probably not a lot more than I would get on 56k dial up.

>LOL, I thought, as the P2P was going so slowly, I'd stop it, check
>newsgroups, then play an on-line game. Played for about 15 minutes with lots
>of periods of lag until I got dumped from the server with a ping-time of
>2,624ms. The servers, based in the states, are only lightly loaded as
>evidenced by the </players> command.
>
>This is getting beyond a joke. The status page
>
>http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/status
>
>hasn't been updated since just after the new ATM came on-line, the 7th
>December. At least the ATM usage part hasn't. I'd like to see it now. A real
>representation, during peak hours and at night. How hard can it be to run a
>wee script to update it twice daily? Sheeit, even show it in real-time. I
>can do that with my connections easilly and I don't have Orcon's resources.
>(Ferrari etc.) Otherwise what's the point in having it there? Month-old data
>isn't relavant.
>
>I've said it before but I swear I'm not likely to be in a position to say it
>much more. If they don't get their **** together bloody soon not only am I
>out of there but I forsee bad things for Orcon. How long can you run a
>business on promises? I have been disconnected 17 times since Xmas day FFS!
>Twice in the middle of a game with a friend from Philadelphia. And I've just
>paid them $92 dollars for last month's usage. (Including Tolls).

hate to be insensitive to your need, but I heard on radio telstra is
jammed and will be for some time, now I am pleased ti be with Xtra

And now the important thing, what games do you play, can I join in,
got a laptop designed for gaming but cant seem to get my foot in the
door

I've gone crazy......but I will be back soon

~misfit~

Squirrel wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 04:24:40 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> Just left Azureus running for four hours while I had a wee sleep
>>> (10:54pm - 3:45am) and, downloading a well-seeded torrent, I got
>>> 48MB (Of 1.2GB). Probably not a lot more than I would get on 56k
>>> dial up.

>> LOL, I thought, as the P2P was going so slowly, I'd stop it, check
>> newsgroups, then play an on-line game. Played for about 15 minutes
>> with lots of periods of lag until I got dumped from the server with
>> a ping-time of 2,624ms. The servers, based in the states, are only
>> lightly loaded as evidenced by the </players> command.
>>
>> This is getting beyond a joke. The status page
>>
>> http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/status
>>
>> hasn't been updated since just after the new ATM came on-line, the
>> 7th December. At least the ATM usage part hasn't. I'd like to see it
>> now. A real representation, during peak hours and at night. How hard
>> can it be to run a wee script to update it twice daily? Sheeit, even
>> show it in real-time. I can do that with my connections easilly and
>> I don't have Orcon's resources. (Ferrari etc.) Otherwise what's the
>> point in having it there? Month-old data isn't relavant.
>>
>> I've said it before but I swear I'm not likely to be in a position
>> to say it much more. If they don't get their **** together bloody
>> soon not only am I out of there but I forsee bad things for Orcon.
>> How long can you run a business on promises? I have been
>> disconnected 17 times since Xmas day FFS! Twice in the middle of a
>> game with a friend from Philadelphia. And I've just paid them $92
>> dollars for last month's usage. (Including Tolls).

> hate to be insensitive to your need, but I heard on radio telstra is
> jammed and will be for some time, now I am pleased ti be with Xtra
>
> And now the important thing, what games do you play, can I join in,
> got a laptop designed for gaming but cant seem to get my foot in the
> door

I play Diablo 2 with the Lord of Destruction expansion pack on-line. It's an
oldie but a goodie. Diablo 2 has been out for over 5 years. I've bought a
lot of games in that time but this is the only one that I keep playing,
month after month.

Happy New Year.
--
~misfit~

Squirrel

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 12:56:43 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Squirrel wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 04:24:40 +1300, "~misfit~"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> LOL, I thought, as the P2P was going so slowly, I'd stop it, check
>>> newsgroups, then play an on-line game. Played for about 15 minutes
>>> with lots of periods of lag until I got dumped from the server with
>>> a ping-time of 2,624ms. The servers, based in the states, are only
>>> lightly loaded as evidenced by the </players> command.
>>>
>>> This is getting beyond a joke. The status page
>>>
>>> http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/status
>>>
>>> hasn't been updated since just after the new ATM came on-line, the
>>> 7th December. At least the ATM usage part hasn't. I'd like to see it
>>> now. A real representation, during peak hours and at night. How hard
>>> can it be to run a wee script to update it twice daily? Sheeit, even
>>> show it in real-time. I can do that with my connections easilly and
>>> I don't have Orcon's resources. (Ferrari etc.) Otherwise what's the
>>> point in having it there? Month-old data isn't relavant.
>>>
>>> I've said it before but I swear I'm not likely to be in a position
>>> to say it much more. If they don't get their **** together bloody
>>> soon not only am I out of there but I forsee bad things for Orcon.
>>> How long can you run a business on promises? I have been
>>> disconnected 17 times since Xmas day FFS! Twice in the middle of a
>>> game with a friend from Philadelphia. And I've just paid them $92
>>> dollars for last month's usage. (Including Tolls).

>> hate to be insensitive to your need, but I heard on radio telstra is
>> jammed and will be for some time, now I am pleased ti be with Xtra
>>
>> And now the important thing, what games do you play, can I join in,
>> got a laptop designed for gaming but cant seem to get my foot in the
>> door

>I play Diablo 2 with the Lord of Destruction expansion pack on-line. It's an
>oldie but a goodie. Diablo 2 has been out for over 5 years. I've bought a
>lot of games in that time but this is the only one that I keep playing,
>month after month.
>
>Happy New Year.

I take it you must purchase the game firsrt>???

Squirrel wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 12:56:43 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Squirrel wrote:
>>> And now the important thing, what games do you play, can I join in,
>>> got a laptop designed for gaming but cant seem to get my foot in the
>>> door

>> I play Diablo 2 with the Lord of Destruction expansion pack on-line.
>> It's an oldie but a goodie. Diablo 2 has been out for over 5 years.
>> I've bought a lot of games in that time but this is the only one
>> that I keep playing, month after month.
>>
>> Happy New Year.

> I take it you must purchase the game firsrt>???

Yes, the game and the Expansion Pack, LoD. Or what's called The Battlechest,
which has both in it as well as the original Diablo game. Around $100. When
you connect to the battle.net servers it checks the validity of your CD keys
so, while you may get away with a non-legal version if you only play
off-line, you'll need a legal one for on-line play.
--
~misfit~

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>You don't have to sit there and watch your downloads you know. Something I
>>learned early having Orcon as an ISP

> No, but I'd still rather have a DVD downloaded in 10 mins than in 30
> (though 30 would still be awesome compared to what we'd have to wait
> now!).
>
> The same argument about faster broadband could be used for LAN speeds -
> do we really need 100mbps? Couldn't be just live with a 2mbps network?

Depends on your personal use. I'd like to build a Linux based cluster
of 4-8 CPU nodes one-day, for SMP dv editing and SMP POV-ray renders.
I'd need Gigabit LAN to make the node communication pipes fast enough.
Anything less than Gigabit would be worthless...

If people want fast, they buy fast...if slow is OK they make do with
slow...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

kriskirk@hotmail.com

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> If people want fast, they buy fast...if slow is OK they make do with
> slow...

I agree, which is why I felt I was missing the point of the article,
because to me is suggests that nobody really needs faster broadband...