Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Simple Recording Software

Simple Recording Software

Rob J

I'm looking for shareware or freeware that enables me to make an
unbounded recording, that has a simple user interface that is easy to
configure and use for less-experienced people, and has few hidden
options on a different screen.

I want to be able to produce instructions that show a screenshot of the
main screen and how for people who are not experienced in this
particular software package to be able to tell that they have all the
correct settings i.e. someone hasn't altered the settings.

There is probably no absolute ideal package. While I have used Goldwave
in the past, its biggest lack is its complexity, with many unneeded
features. I do not need a super duper editor, I do need a simple
recording application, as all the people doing the recordings need to
know is how to record, someone else can do the editing later.

At the moment I am evaluating the following software packages available
from Tucows:

* Audio Recorder Pro
* Alive WMA MP3 Recorder
* ACA Audio Recorder
* ABS AudioRoom CD Recorder and Editor

and would like opinions on these, or any alternative software packages
that fulfill the same sort of functionality.

We just record each week from the same sound source, which is a line
input, from a sound desk,

Dave Taylor

Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:MPG.1e1cb2ec59a96bd5989aa4
@news.chc.ihug.co.nz:

> We just record each week from the same sound source, which is a line
> input, from a sound desk,

Audacity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

--
Ciao, Dave

Philip

Dave Taylor wrote:
> Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:MPG.1e1cb2ec59a96bd5989aa4
> @news.chc.ihug.co.nz:
>
>> We just record each week from the same sound source, which is a line
>> input, from a sound desk,
>>

> Audacity
> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I wholly agree. I use this program every day at the studio, and it
hasn't yet let me down.

The current stable version is 1.2.4, and a greatly enhanced version 1.3
is availabe in beta from the website.

Philip

Bob

Wavepad
http://nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html

"Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> I'm looking for shareware or freeware that enables me to make an
> unbounded recording, that has a simple user interface that is easy to
> configure and use for less-experienced people, and has few hidden
> options on a different screen.
>
> I want to be able to produce instructions that show a screenshot of the
> main screen and how for people who are not experienced in this
> particular software package to be able to tell that they have all the
> correct settings i.e. someone hasn't altered the settings.
>
> There is probably no absolute ideal package. While I have used Goldwave
> in the past, its biggest lack is its complexity, with many unneeded
> features. I do not need a super duper editor, I do need a simple
> recording application, as all the people doing the recordings need to
> know is how to record, someone else can do the editing later.
>
> At the moment I am evaluating the following software packages available
> from Tucows:
>
> * Audio Recorder Pro
> * Alive WMA MP3 Recorder
> * ACA Audio Recorder
> * ABS AudioRoom CD Recorder and Editor
>
> and would like opinions on these, or any alternative software packages
> that fulfill the same sort of functionality.
>
> We just record each week from the same sound source, which is a line
> input, from a sound desk,

Richard Crowley

"Rob J" wrote ...
> I'm looking for shareware or freeware that enables me
> to make an unbounded recording, that has a simple user
> interface that is easy to configure and use for less-
> experienced people, and has few hidden options on a
> different screen.

Can you explain what YOU mean by "unbounded"?

> I want to be able to produce instructions that show a
> screenshot of the main screen and how for people who
> are not experienced in this particular software package
> to be able to tell that they have all the correct settings i.e.
> someone hasn't altered the settings.

Perhaps the simplest is the Windows Sound Recorder.
It comes with an artificial 30-second time limit because
it was made for recording short audio "notes". But there
is a work-around for this time limit.

E. Scrooge

"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns973A9A27EF1Fdaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37 .6...
> Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:MPG.1e1cb2ec59a96bd5989aa4
> @news.chc.ihug.co.nz:
>
>> We just record each week from the same sound source, which is a line
>> input, from a sound desk,
>>

> Audacity
> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
>

> --
> Ciao, Dave

That's what I would've suggested as well.

E. Scrooge

Rob J

says...
> "Rob J" wrote ...
> > I'm looking for shareware or freeware that enables me
> > to make an unbounded recording, that has a simple user
> > interface that is easy to configure and use for less-
> > experienced people, and has few hidden options on a
> > different screen.

> Can you explain what YOU mean by "unbounded"?

Goldwave uses this term. Older versions of Goldwave would only record to
files of predefined length. The later versions still require you to
create a file of a specified length, but if the unbounded setting is
used they will record continuously until the disk is full, regardless of
the length specified.

Better still is not to have to create a file at all - one is
automatically created when you click Record and has no length limit.

> > I want to be able to produce instructions that show a
> > screenshot of the main screen and how for people who
> > are not experienced in this particular software package
> > to be able to tell that they have all the correct settings i.e.
> > someone hasn't altered the settings.

> Perhaps the simplest is the Windows Sound Recorder.
> It comes with an artificial 30-second time limit because
> it was made for recording short audio "notes". But there
> is a work-around for this time limit.

I want software that doesn't require you to create a file as the first
step of making a recording. Recording should be as simple as pressing
the Record button.

Take Vos

Hello,

Have you looked at Boom Recorder?
http://www.vosgames.nl/products/BoomRecorder/

You may record for up to three tracks for free, otherwise you can buy a
license for 115 Euro.

I think it has the functionality you requested, except it is software
for Mac OS X 10.4.

Regards,
Take Vos

E. Scrooge

"Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> says...
>> "Rob J" wrote ...
>> > I'm looking for shareware or freeware that enables me
>> > to make an unbounded recording, that has a simple user
>> > interface that is easy to configure and use for less-
>> > experienced people, and has few hidden options on a
>> > different screen.

>> Can you explain what YOU mean by "unbounded"?

> Goldwave uses this term. Older versions of Goldwave would only record to
> files of predefined length. The later versions still require you to
> create a file of a specified length, but if the unbounded setting is
> used they will record continuously until the disk is full, regardless of
> the length specified.
>
> Better still is not to have to create a file at all - one is
> automatically created when you click Record and has no length limit.
>
>> > I want to be able to produce instructions that show a
>> > screenshot of the main screen and how for people who
>> > are not experienced in this particular software package
>> > to be able to tell that they have all the correct settings i.e.
>> > someone hasn't altered the settings.

>> Perhaps the simplest is the Windows Sound Recorder.
>> It comes with an artificial 30-second time limit because
>> it was made for recording short audio "notes". But there
>> is a work-around for this time limit.

> I want software that doesn't require you to create a file as the first
> step of making a recording. Recording should be as simple as pressing
> the Record button.

That's what audacity, though it does suffer from having a set limit...
Once it's fulled up your hard drive the recording stops unless you decide to
stop it before it reaches that point.

And don't do any multi tasking while it's recording as any clicks or window
associated sounds will be recording along with whatever else you're
recording. What you hear is what it records.

E. Scrooge

Pawel Kusmierek

E. Scrooge (*sling) wrote:

> And don't do any multi tasking while it's recording as any clicks or window
> associated sounds will be recording along with whatever else you're
> recording. What you hear is what it records.

This should not happen if recording mixer is set up properly. Line in
should be chosen instead of what you hear or wave out mix or somethink
like that.

The other thing is that in certain circumstances a system sound being
played while an audio program is operating may change sampling rate or
bit depth of the audio program operation. It is recommended therefore
to disable all windows sounds before working with audio.

If multitasking is required, then I may again suggest foobar2000. In
general, using this program is rather difficult, but initiating
recording is quite easy with proper and simple instructions. I
mentioned multitasking because foobar takes little resources. And, if
properly configured, foobar will minimize to tray and will not take
space on the taskbar.

Anyone who wishes to record long files (limited by HDD space only)
should take into consideration that wave file size limit is 4GB (or 2GB
for poorly designed programs). Good program would close the file on
that limit and start recording to another one automatically without
loosing a single sample. A not so good program would stop recording at
the limit. A bad program may crash, destroy the already recorded file,
or I do not know what else. So if you expect to do long recordings,
test how your program handles the limit.