Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > One computer printing from another

One computer printing from another

geopelia

A friend can use Word on her computer, but can't get the phone on yet, so
email and internet can't be used. Now her printer isn't working. (She does
work at home).

I have email and internet (dialup) and can print from my computer.

We are not connected through a network. I have windows ME, I think hers is
XP.

Is there any way we can transfer what is on her computer (typed reports etc)
on to my computer so we can print it out please?

I thought of floppy discs, but don't know how to use them. If she can put
Word documents on to a CD, could my computer read that and print it out?

Neither of us know much about the technical side of computers.

Any suggestions? Thank you

Geopelia

Philip

geopelia wrote:
> A friend can use Word on her computer, but can't get the phone on yet, so
> email and internet can't be used. Now her printer isn't working. (She does
> work at home).
>
> I have email and internet (dialup) and can print from my computer.
>
> We are not connected through a network. I have windows ME, I think hers is
> XP.
>
> Is there any way we can transfer what is on her computer (typed reports etc)
> on to my computer so we can print it out please?
>
> I thought of floppy discs, but don't know how to use them. If she can put
> Word documents on to a CD, could my computer read that and print it out?
>
> Neither of us know much about the technical side of computers.
>
> Any suggestions? Thank you
>
> Geopelia

In principle yes.

If your friend saves the files to a disk of some kind, or burns them to
a CD, they should be readable on any other computer running the same
programs - presumably MS Word or Excel.

If either of you has a USB memory stick you could also save the files
onto that.

You say 'now her printer isn't working' - do you know why? Is it
printing badly, or not at all, or does the computer deny the printer is
there?

Sometimes printer problems arise because someone has inadvertently told
the computer not to send any files to the printer, or to pause printing,
or even because the cable has fallen out the back of the computer or the
printer.

Keep us posted,

Philip

Southern Kiwi

If you are networked you just need to enable sharing your printer then
adding a network printer on her machine, then she can print to your printer
as if it was on her own.

--
-- Cheers
Southern Kiwi

"geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsqlsf.10876$(E-Mail Removed)...
>A friend can use Word on her computer, but can't get the phone on yet, so
> email and internet can't be used. Now her printer isn't working. (She does
> work at home).
>
> I have email and internet (dialup) and can print from my computer.
>
> We are not connected through a network. I have windows ME, I think hers is
> XP.
>
> Is there any way we can transfer what is on her computer (typed reports
> etc)
> on to my computer so we can print it out please?
>
> I thought of floppy discs, but don't know how to use them. If she can put
> Word documents on to a CD, could my computer read that and print it out?
>
> Neither of us know much about the technical side of computers.
>
> Any suggestions? Thank you
>
> Geopelia

geopelia

"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:43b1fe04$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are networked you just need to enable sharing your printer then
> adding a network printer on her machine, then she can print to your

printer
> as if it was on her own.
>

> --
> -- Cheers
> Southern Kiwi
> southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
> Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a Guru...but
> not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high...

Thank you. Neither of us know how we can get networked. Once she can get
the phone on she will be able to email her work to me and I can print it
out, but that may take quite a while.

Geopelia

geopelia

"Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> geopelia wrote:
> > A friend can use Word on her computer, but can't get the phone on yet,

so
> > email and internet can't be used. Now her printer isn't working. (She

does
> > work at home).
> >
> > I have email and internet (dialup) and can print from my computer.
> >
> > We are not connected through a network. I have windows ME, I think hers

is
> > XP.

(snip)

> In principle yes.
>
> If your friend saves the files to a disk of some kind, or burns them to
> a CD, they should be readable on any other computer running the same
> programs - presumably MS Word or Excel.
>
> If either of you has a USB memory stick you could also save the files
> onto that.
>
> You say 'now her printer isn't working' - do you know why? Is it
> printing badly, or not at all, or does the computer deny the printer is
> there?
>
> Sometimes printer problems arise because someone has inadvertently told
> the computer not to send any files to the printer, or to pause printing,
> or even because the cable has fallen out the back of the computer or the
> printer.
>
> Keep us posted,
>
> Philip

I don't know what a UBS memory stick is or whether one came with this
computer. I'll see if she can put the files on a CD.

The removal people may have upset the printer, I'll ask her what the problem
is. I think she would have connected the cables, so it could have just been
shaken up in the move.

I haven't got Excel, but I have Word.

Thanks for your help.

Geopelia

Crash

geopelia wrote:
[snip]
> I don't know what a UBS memory stick is or whether one came with this
> computer. I'll see if she can put the files on a CD.
>
> The removal people may have upset the printer, I'll ask her what the problem
> is. I think she would have connected the cables, so it could have just been
> shaken up in the move.
>
> I haven't got Excel, but I have Word.
>
> Thanks for your help.

A USB (note the spelling) memory stick is a device that plugs into a USB socket
on your PC - much like your printer might be. This memory stick then appears to
your computer as a removable disk drive. With one of these things plugged in
your friend could use windows explorer to find out what drive letter the device
is then copy or save the word document files (i.e. <name>.doc) to it. Once this
has been done the device is simply unplugged from their computer and plugged
into yours. This works as long as both PCs have at least one USB socket - and
this should be the case with PCs that came with Windows Me when new.

Assuming you can get the files to your machine there is then compatibility
issues to consider. The issues I cover here may explain difficulties you might
experience when printing your friend's documents. Are you both using the same
version of WORD? Generally as long as your version is the same or later than
hers you are safe but if theirs is later than yours difficulties could arise.
Lastly, if your friend uses fonts in her Word documents that are not installed
on your machine then the font used on your machine will be different when you
print. This is unlikely to be the case if your friend uses standard fonts - but
might apply if they use additional fonts installed to make the documents unique
in appearance.

I suggest simply using floppy disk or a memory stick if it is available but be
prepared for strange results.

Crash.

Brian Dooley

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:33:17 +1300, Crash
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>geopelia wrote:
>[snip]
>> I don't know what a UBS memory stick is or whether one came with this
>> computer. I'll see if she can put the files on a CD.
>>
>> The removal people may have upset the printer, I'll ask her what the problem
>> is. I think she would have connected the cables, so it could have just been
>> shaken up in the move.
>>
>> I haven't got Excel, but I have Word.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.

>A USB (note the spelling) memory stick is a device that plugs into a USB socket
>on your PC - much like your printer might be. This memory stick then appears to
>your computer as a removable disk drive. With one of these things plugged in
>your friend could use windows explorer to find out what drive letter the device
>is then copy or save the word document files (i.e. <name>.doc) to it. Once this
>has been done the device is simply unplugged from their computer and plugged
>into yours. This works as long as both PCs have at least one USB socket - and
>this should be the case with PCs that came with Windows Me when new.
>
>Assuming you can get the files to your machine there is then compatibility
>issues to consider. The issues I cover here may explain difficulties you might
>experience when printing your friend's documents. Are you both using the same
>version of WORD? Generally as long as your version is the same or later than
>hers you are safe but if theirs is later than yours difficulties could arise.
>Lastly, if your friend uses fonts in her Word documents that are not installed
>on your machine then the font used on your machine will be different when you
>print. This is unlikely to be the case if your friend uses standard fonts - but
>might apply if they use additional fonts installed to make the documents unique
>in appearance.
>
>I suggest simply using floppy disk or a memory stick if it is available but be
>prepared for strange results.

She's said she doesn't know how to use floppies, so I suggest she
takes this opportunity to find out.

She shouldn't have too much of a problem - once through and
she'll be set for life.

This is a pretty smart old lady.

Belay the "old".
--

Brian Dooley

Wellington New Zealand

geopelia

"Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vzCsf.10938$(E-Mail Removed)...
> geopelia wrote:
> [snip]
> > I don't know what a UBS memory stick is or whether one came with this
> > computer. I'll see if she can put the files on a CD.
> >
> > The removal people may have upset the printer, I'll ask her what the

problem
> > is. I think she would have connected the cables, so it could have just

been
> > shaken up in the move.
> >
> > I haven't got Excel, but I have Word.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.

> A USB (note the spelling) memory stick is a device that plugs into a USB

socket
> on your PC - much like your printer might be. This memory stick then

appears to
> your computer as a removable disk drive. With one of these things plugged

in
> your friend could use windows explorer to find out what drive letter the

device
> is then copy or save the word document files (i.e. <name>.doc) to it.

Once this
> has been done the device is simply unplugged from their computer and

plugged
> into yours. This works as long as both PCs have at least one USB socket -

and
> this should be the case with PCs that came with Windows Me when new.
>
> Assuming you can get the files to your machine there is then compatibility
> issues to consider. The issues I cover here may explain difficulties you

might
> experience when printing your friend's documents. Are you both using the

same
> version of WORD? Generally as long as your version is the same or later

than
> hers you are safe but if theirs is later than yours difficulties could

arise.
> Lastly, if your friend uses fonts in her Word documents that are not

installed
> on your machine then the font used on your machine will be different when

you
> print. This is unlikely to be the case if your friend uses standard

fonts - but
> might apply if they use additional fonts installed to make the documents

unique
> in appearance.
>
> I suggest simply using floppy disk or a memory stick if it is available

but be
> prepared for strange results.
>
> Crash.

Thank you. I'll print this out and see what she thinks. Neither of us know
much about the technical side of computers.
I think my Word is 2000, I don't know what hers is.

Thank you for your help.

Geopelia

geopelia

news:(E-Mail Removed)...