Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > windows vista

windows vista

news.xtra.co.nz

After reviewing the specs, all I can say is that windows vista is pretty
useless.

It offers no functional enhancements over xp that I really need, except, it
is purported to be 'more secure' .

The main changes seem to be the eyecandy userinterface.

But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
compatible with the new versions of office documents.

Oh yes, one more thing - it supports raw digital camera photos which is good
for me although I already have the xp Raw add on.

Fred Dagg

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:35:12 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>After reviewing the specs, all I can say is that windows vista is pretty
>useless.
>
>It offers no functional enhancements over xp that I really need, except, it
>is purported to be 'more secure' .
>
>The main changes seem to be the eyecandy userinterface.
>
>But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
>compatible with the new versions of office documents.
>
>Oh yes, one more thing - it supports raw digital camera photos which is good
>for me although I already have the xp Raw add on.

Yeah, I don't think many will be upgrading from XP to Vista. Still,
it's probably a good "next OS" for anyone running pre-XP.

Steven H

Hello news.xtra.co.nz,

> After reviewing the specs, all I can say is that windows vista is
> pretty useless.

intresting considering B2 has only been released out to technical beta -
methinks i can get it through work (dunno if were on the beta program or
not) so i do find it intresting that you can make a broad statement.

ok, where do i start

tcp stack - re-written
vista machines download at a far greater speed, aproximately 50% speed increase
(though the dudes saying it also said that it was being a little conservitave
- when i say the 'dudes saying it' i mean the coders who wrote it)

print engine - re-written
MS & major printer manafacturers joined to produce a new standard, much higher
detail prints

sound engine - re-written
that volume thingee in the taskbar, now you got per-app volume, its more
'user friendly', higher fidielty (sp), surround sound out of the box, yadda
yadda yadda

> The main changes seem to be the eyecandy userinterface.

yes there is Windows Presentation Foundation (avalon) and they have done
a shyte load of work on it but thoes guys are just a 'small' part of the
overall team - we are talking about upwards of 1000 active developers, and
talk that Vista is the largest software project on the planet at the moment
(Nathan ... got any numbers? ).

then you have the Transactional File System... well when i say 'transactional'
i really mean that an 'entire process' can be transactionalized from SQL
stuff, to File IO to whatever that plugs into DTC (Distributed Transaction
Coordinator).

then you have Workflow - as in a framework (.net) to model workflows (state
machines are cool), Communication - havent done much on this one but its
orientated around well.. communication, and ... other stuff that i forget.

one of the things i think is cool is that i can write some software in my
own format (say a recipie program) and i can provide some interfaces that
will allow the shell to do stuff to my data, like attribute any kind of property
(say 'recipies that steven likes') provide thumbnails and even previews of
my private files content.

i think this is cool because it allows people (normal people) free reign
over how to organize their infomation, your not limited to folders, you can
plug in some keywords and organize anything - this will become more important
from now on as people get massive hard drives and fill them.

one demo that i thaught was really cool (i forget its name) but basically
it was a program that allowed you to visualize shyteloads of data in a timeline,
you could zoom in, zoom out, drag & drop onto diffrent categorys, expand
and contract all your 'stuff' into an easy to digest visual form that makes
it simple to find stuff and visualize relationships between *anything*.

one other demo i saw (not a part of vista but part of the developer tools
that will be rolled out for Orcas) was a really cool visual designer (codename
Cider) that spat out xml and allowed you to do some *really cool* stuff.
it also enables more of an 'union' between coders and 'user interface people'
- something that doesnt really happen at the moment and can cause issues.

> It offers no functional enhancements over xp that I really need,
> except, it is purported to be 'more secure' .

what can i say, personally i am looking forward to vista, its your choise
to use it.

as for the 'more secure' thing ...

do you really think that programmers (of any persuasion) sit there and think
of ways to open up their code to hackers ???

you will never get a 'bugfree' Operating System - there simply too large
and complex and often interactions can be unforseen.

> But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
> compatible with the new versions of office documents.

new versions of Office Documents are xml, so whats your problem ?

----------------
Steven H

the madGeek

steve

news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

> After reviewing the specs, all I can say is that windows vista is pretty
> useless.
>
> It offers no functional enhancements over xp that I really need, except,
> it is purported to be 'more secure' .
>
> The main changes seem to be the eyecandy userinterface.
>
> But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
> compatible with the new versions of office documents.
>
> Oh yes, one more thing - it supports raw digital camera photos which is
> good for me although I already have the xp Raw add on.

But for the last comment, you could have said exactly the same thing about
all previous Windows upgrades.....

Your existing MS Office should work just fine - on Linux, if not on a new
version of Windows.

Problems with file compatiability? Take that up with (or avoid) a vendor who
does not respect your data or you.

Mr Undeniably Sluttish

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:35:12 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

> But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
> compatible with the new versions of office documents.

Why don't you simply tell people to send documents to you in OD Format?

Undeniably Sluttish

--
Free software on every PC on every desk.

Mr Undeniably Sluttish

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:16:50 +0000, Steven H wrote:

> vista machines download at a far greater speed, aproximately 50% speed
> increase

My SuSE box usually sends stuff across to my network server at gigabit
speeds. Can WinNT5.1 not do that?

Undeniably Sluttish

--
Free software on every PC on every desk.

Fred Dagg

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:44:13 +1300, Mr Undeniably Sluttish
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:35:12 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
>
>> But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
>> compatible with the new versions of office documents.

>Why don't you simply tell people to send documents to you in OD Format?

*yawn*

Maybe because he lives in the real world?

Mr Undeniably Sluttish

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:16:50 +0000, Steven H wrote:

> new versions of Office Documents are xml, so whats your problem ?

New versions of M$ Office documents are *mostly* XML. Parts of them are
proprietary binary additions.

Undeniably Sluttish

--
Free software on every PC on every desk.

news.xtra.co.nz

"Steven H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .nz...
> [...]

> cool* stuff. it also enables more of an 'union' between coders and 'user
> interface people' - something that doesnt really happen at the moment and
> can cause issues.
>

>> It offers no functional enhancements over xp that I really need,
>> except, it is purported to be 'more secure' .

> what can i say, personally i am looking forward to vista, its your choise
> to use it.
>
> as for the 'more secure' thing ...
>
> do you really think that programmers (of any persuasion) sit there and
> think of ways to open up their code to hackers ???
>
> you will never get a 'bugfree' Operating System - there simply too large
> and complex and often interactions can be unforseen.
>> But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
>> compatible with the new versions of office documents.

> new versions of Office Documents are xml, so whats your problem ?

Nothing there sounds of interest to me at this stage - except, for the sound
thing.

Are you saying office xp will read these office xml documents without
translation?

Steven H

Hello Undeniably,

> New versions of M$ Office documents are *mostly* XML. Parts of them
> are proprietary binary additions.

i wouldnt know (and i wouldnt think you would either) as (iirc) office 12
hasnt came to beta yet.

Steven H

the madGeek