Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > windows vista

windows vista

Steven H

Hello Undeniably Sluttish,

> My SuSE box usually sends stuff across to my network server at gigabit
> speeds. Can WinNT5.1 not do that?

<woosh> ummm.... call me stupid if you like but your point flew over my head

as for suse vs whatever.... compare it when it comes out.

----------------
the madGeek

> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:16:50 +0000, Steven H wrote:
>
>> vista machines download at a far greater speed, aproximately 50%
>> speed increase
>>

> My SuSE box usually sends stuff across to my network server at gigabit
> speeds. Can WinNT5.1 not do that?
>
> Undeniably Sluttish

Steven H

Hello news.xtra.co.nz,

> Nothing there sounds of interest to me at this stage - except, for the
> sound thing.

really... why...

do you do something with music ? or sound manipulation software ?

> Are you saying office xp will read these office xml documents without
> translation?

my point was that its 'just xml' even you can write some software to make
sence of it all.

As for XP being able to read Office 12 xml format, if history speeks clear
enough you will find that there will be a converter or something available
that will let downlevel office versions (nobody knows how far downlevel)
read the new format.

----------------
Steven H

the madGeek

> [...]

>> project on the planet at the moment (Nathan ... got any numbers? ).
>>
>> then you have the Transactional File System... well when i say
>> 'transactional' i really mean that an 'entire process' can be
>> transactionalized from SQL stuff, to File IO to whatever that plugs
>> into DTC (Distributed Transaction Coordinator).
>>
>> then you have Workflow - as in a framework (.net) to model workflows
>> (state machines are cool), Communication - havent done much on this
>> one but its orientated around well.. communication, and ... other
>> stuff that i forget.
>>
>> one of the things i think is cool is that i can write some software
>> in my own format (say a recipie program) and i can provide some
>> interfaces that will allow the shell to do stuff to my data, like
>> attribute any kind of property (say 'recipies that steven likes')
>> provide thumbnails and even previews of my private files content.
>>
>> i think this is cool because it allows people (normal people) free
>> reign over how to organize their infomation, your not limited to
>> folders, you can plug in some keywords and organize anything - this
>> will become more important from now on as people get massive hard
>> drives and fill them.
>>
>> one demo that i thaught was really cool (i forget its name) but
>> basically it was a program that allowed you to visualize shyteloads
>> of data in a timeline, you could zoom in, zoom out, drag & drop onto
>> diffrent categorys, expand and contract all your 'stuff' into an easy
>> to digest visual form that makes it simple to find stuff and
>> visualize relationships between *anything*.
>>
>> one other demo i saw (not a part of vista but part of the developer
>> tools that will be rolled out for Orcas) was a really cool visual
>> designer (codename Cider) that spat out xml and allowed you to do
>> some *really cool* stuff. it also enables more of an 'union' between
>> coders and 'user interface people' - something that doesnt really
>> happen at the moment and can cause issues.
>>
>>> It offers no functional enhancements over xp that I really need,
>>> except, it is purported to be 'more secure' .
>>>

>> what can i say, personally i am looking forward to vista, its your
>> choise to use it.
>>
>> as for the 'more secure' thing ...
>>
>> do you really think that programmers (of any persuasion) sit there
>> and think of ways to open up their code to hackers ???
>>
>> you will never get a 'bugfree' Operating System - there simply too
>> large and complex and often interactions can be unforseen.
>>
>>> But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
>>> compatible with the new versions of office documents.
>>>

>> new versions of Office Documents are xml, so whats your problem ?
>>
>> ----------------
>> Steven H
>> the madGeek
>>

> Nothing there sounds of interest to me at this stage - except, for the
> sound thing.
>
> Are you saying office xp will read these office xml documents without

Steven H

Hello news.xtra.co.nz,

while i renember about the sound thing...

there finally getting rid of sndrec32.exe, and now you can finally record
more than one minute worth of sound (limitation in sndrec32.exe)

----------------
> [...]

>> what can i say, personally i am looking forward to vista, its your
>> choise to use it.
>>
>> as for the 'more secure' thing ...
>>
>> do you really think that programmers (of any persuasion) sit there
>> and think of ways to open up their code to hackers ???
>>
>> you will never get a 'bugfree' Operating System - there simply too
>> large and complex and often interactions can be unforseen.
>>
>>> But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
>>> compatible with the new versions of office documents.
>>>

>> new versions of Office Documents are xml, so whats your problem ?
>>
>> ----------------
>> Steven H
>> the madGeek
>>

> Nothing there sounds of interest to me at this stage - except, for the
> sound thing.
>
> Are you saying office xp will read these office xml documents without

Jennings

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:21:19 +0000, Steven H wrote:

> Hello Undeniably Sluttish,
>
>> My SuSE box usually sends stuff across to my network server at gigabit
>> speeds. Can WinNT5.1 not do that?

> <woosh> ummm.... call me stupid if you like but your point flew over my head
>
> as for suse vs whatever.... compare it when it comes out.
>
> ----------------

Steven you have to remember that lennier has only ever used win98.

WinNT Win200 WinXP are operating systems the twit has never used.

Jennings.

news.xtra.co.nz

>> Nothing there sounds of interest to me at this stage - except, for the
>> sound thing.

> really... why...
>
> do you do something with music ? or sound manipulation software ?

No - just that the current sound settings thing sucks.

eg, I use the inboard sound for some programs, and the sound card for other
applications - particularly differentiating for voip apps and other types of
programs.

This allows me to easily use the headset for voip, and , the external
speakers work properly for my other apps. Having more flexibility sounds
good although I'd like to see this in practice.

>> Are you saying office xp will read these office xml documents without
>> translation?

> my point was that its 'just xml' even you can write some software to make
> sence of it all.

Gotcha.

> As for XP being able to read Office 12 xml format, if history speeks clear
> enough you will find that there will be a converter or something available
> that will let downlevel office versions (nobody knows how far downlevel)
> read the new format.

Convertors suck.

Steven H

Hello Jennings,

> Steven you have to remember that lennier has only ever used win98.

thats lennier !!!!

urgh...

i wish people would stick to names that i can renember, at least i post with
my real name as well as my alias

----------------
Steven H

the madGeek

> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:21:19 +0000, Steven H wrote:
>
>> Hello Undeniably Sluttish,
>>
>>> My SuSE box usually sends stuff across to my network server at
>>> gigabit speeds. Can WinNT5.1 not do that?
>>>

>> <woosh> ummm.... call me stupid if you like but your point flew over
>> my head
>>
>> as for suse vs whatever.... compare it when it comes out.
>>
>> ----------------
>>

> Steven you have to remember that lennier has only ever used win98.
>
> WinNT Win200 WinXP are operating systems the twit has never used.
>
> Jennings.

Peter

Steven H wrote:

> new versions of Office Documents are xml, so whats your problem ?

I want to own my data, which means I can access my data (now and in the
future) without being reliant on a single foreign corporation. I also want
public records (ie government) to be in a format that doesn't oblige me to
buy expensive software from a particular monopoly.

Peter

Mr Undeniably Sluttish

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:12:53 +0000, Steven H wrote:

>> New versions of M$ Office documents are *mostly* XML. Parts of them
>> are proprietary binary additions.

> i wouldnt know (and i wouldnt think you would either) as (iirc) office 12
> hasnt came to beta yet.

It is because of those proprietary binary extensions that Micro$oft's XML
file format did not get approved, as it was not sufficiently open.

Don't you follow the news?

Undeniably Sluttish

--
Free software on every PC on every desk.

XP

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:35:12 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>After reviewing the specs, all I can say is that windows vista is pretty
>useless.
>
>It offers no functional enhancements over xp that I really need, except, it
>is purported to be 'more secure' .
>
>The main changes seem to be the eyecandy userinterface.
>
>But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
>compatible with the new versions of office documents.
>
>Oh yes, one more thing - it supports raw digital camera photos which is good
>for me although I already have the xp Raw add on.

And a loy lot More DRM..

Fred Dagg

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 21:29:18 +1300, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>Steven H wrote:
>>
>> new versions of Office Documents are xml, so whats your problem ?

>I want to own my data, which means I can access my data (now and in the
>future) without being reliant on a single foreign corporation. I also want
>public records (ie government) to be in a format that doesn't oblige me to
>buy expensive software from a particular monopoly.

It's free: http://tinyurl.com/64atx

But that's not what it's really about, now, is it?