Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Newbie request for information on web hosting

Newbie request for information on web hosting

Chris

Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
providers - their services and prices ?

I am in Auckland and am considering having a website for my home
business, including taking out a *.co.nz domain name and equivilent
E-mail address. For a small business what should I be looking to pay
each month for a site with half a dozen pages with a company logo (the
usual "home page", "about us", "contact us", "links", etc) ?

If I pay someone to create a website for me do I get to own and
control it, or do web designers retain ownership so you have to use
them to make changes to the website. Once it's up and running I would
like to be able manage it myself (I am very IT literate except for
anything to do with web page preperation/hosting). How much would a
basic web site design and hosting cost me?

Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
design and hosting recommendations.

-=rjh=-

Chris wrote:
> Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
> providers - their services and prices ?
>
> I am in Auckland and am considering having a website for my home
> business, including taking out a *.co.nz domain name and equivilent
> E-mail address. For a small business what should I be looking to pay
> each month for a site with half a dozen pages with a company logo (the
> usual "home page", "about us", "contact us", "links", etc) ?
>
> If I pay someone to create a website for me do I get to own and
> control it, or do web designers retain ownership so you have to use
> them to make changes to the website. Once it's up and running I would
> like to be able manage it myself (I am very IT literate except for
> anything to do with web page preperation/hosting). How much would a
> basic web site design and hosting cost me?
>
> Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
> design and hosting recommendations.

I joined kiwiwebhost before they were bought by iserve, they are still
offering their $1-a-week plan, which gets you virtual hosting, 5 POP
email addresses, 10MB disk space and 1GB of traffic a month. They do
domain name registration also, at $40.00+

I'd say that level of hosting would be more than adequate for what you
outline above.

I've been pretty happy with their service.

Whoever you get to do your design may also be able to offer competitive
hosting, or point you in the right direction. I wouldn't accept any
design that didn't allow you to make changes yourself, and with the
techniques available today there are few arguments for having to.

HTH

Max Barwell

Chris wrote:
> Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
> providers - their services and prices ?
>
> I am in Auckland and am considering having a website for my home
> business, including taking out a *.co.nz domain name and equivilent
> E-mail address. For a small business what should I be looking to pay
> each month for a site with half a dozen pages with a company logo (the
> usual "home page", "about us", "contact us", "links", etc) ?
>
> If I pay someone to create a website for me do I get to own and
> control it, or do web designers retain ownership so you have to use
> them to make changes to the website. Once it's up and running I would
> like to be able manage it myself (I am very IT literate except for
> anything to do with web page preperation/hosting). How much would a
> basic web site design and hosting cost me?
>
> Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
> design and hosting recommendations.

Hi,

I'd get the designer to set you up with a CMS based website, once they
have done the basic design and layout, updating and management is a
cinch. Personally I lean towards Drupal www.drupal.org.

Cheers,
Max

Philip Roy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
> providers - their services and prices ?

Not as far as I am aware.....I think you mean a site that is impartial
and lists comparisons. Best you can do is look at some of the companies
you are hosting with as they often have comparison charts...of course,
you know their charts will make them look the best.

My advice (and you may to chat to the website creator you mention in a
moment) is come up with a list of things you know you want and then shop
around...
* Domain name
* Number of email accounts
* Disk space
* Database (if you go for as content management system as someone has
suggested)

> I am in Auckland and am considering having a website for my home
> business, including taking out a *.co.nz domain name and equivalent
> E-mail address. For a small business what should I be looking to pay
> each month for a site with half a dozen pages with a company logo (the
> usual "home page", "about us", "contact us", "links", etc) ?

Depends who you go with and more importantly, how much design you really
do want. Some web developers offer pre-made templates and the promise to
set you up and get going, but others will customise a lot more for you.

> If I pay someone to create a website for me do I get to own and
> control it, or do web designers retain ownership so you have to use
> them to make changes to the website. Once it's up and running I would
> like to be able manage it myself (I am very IT literate except for
> anything to do with web page preperation/hosting). How much would a
> basic web site design and hosting cost me?

My advice to you would be to make sure that you do retain ownership in
all those things. A lot of developers will deal with all the domain
set-up and hosting for you, but make sure that the domain etc is in your
name is my advice. The way I work is to be the liaison between a client
and the hosting company...getting everything set up and having nothing
to do with hosting fees, but the client paying those directly. Others
will do all that for you and its just a decision on your part who you
want to pay and how much, being realistic that anyone handling things
for you obviously needs to make some money.

The suggestion of a content management system is an ideal one for you.
Basically youd access your pages cia a web page hidden login and update
info as though youre word processing. One thing Id suggest is make sure
that the person doing all this for you has to deliver a few things to
you, like documentation on setup and a little snippet on how to operate
your site.

> Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
> design and hosting recommendations.

Well there you go. Leaves a lot of us out then, not being in Auckland
and all
Dont forget that theres a lot of good companies out there and the
internet is a big place. Its not uncommon for a site or company to be
located in non-local places. My Mac site (www.nzmac.com) sits on servers
in the States for example with a company run from there and the UK
(oh...thats another question you might want to ask...where are their
servers).

In NZ, I use SuperHost with clients and have found them superb...
http://www.superhost.co.nz/domain_compare.htm

Best of luck,

Phil
--
NZMac.com - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
http://www.nzmac.com

Craig Shore

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:32:38 +1300, Chris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
>design and hosting recommendations.

Being that it's a www site you want created, the company doing it for you could
be located anywhere in the world, and same with the hosting. Even if you use a
local company to build it for you, it's usually a lot cheaper to have it hosted
in the USA (even under .co.nz).

John in Surrey

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:05:15 +1300, Philip Roy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Chris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
>> providers - their services and prices ?

>Not as far as I am aware.....I think you mean a site that is impartial
>and lists comparisons. Best you can do is look at some of the companies
>you are hosting with as they often have comparison charts...of course,
>you know their charts will make them look the best.
>
>My advice (and you may to chat to the website creator you mention in a
>moment) is come up with a list of things you know you want and then shop
>around...
>* Domain name
>* Number of email accounts
>* Disk space
>* Database (if you go for as content management system as someone has
>suggested)

= freeparking.co.nz

Images of home (NZ)
http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz/home
What we are up to in the UK
http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz

Enkidu

Max Barwell wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
>> Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
>> providers - their services and prices ?
>> I am in Auckland and am considering having a website for my home
>> business, including taking out a *.co.nz domain name and equivilent
>> E-mail address. For a small business what should I be looking to pay
>> each month for a site with half a dozen pages with a company logo (the
>> usual "home page", "about us", "contact us", "links", etc) ?
>>
>> If I pay someone to create a website for me do I get to own and
>> control it, or do web designers retain ownership so you have to use
>> them to make changes to the website. Once it's up and running I would
>> like to be able manage it myself (I am very IT literate except for
>> anything to do with web page preperation/hosting). How much would a
>> basic web site design and hosting cost me?
>>
>> Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
>> design and hosting recommendations.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I'd get the designer to set you up with a CMS based website, once they
> have done the basic design and layout, updating and management is a
> cinch. Personally I lean towards Drupal www.drupal.org.

Drupal is OK, but it isn't intuitive to use and update. You'll need to
give the end-users *detailed* instructions on how to update it otherwise
the Drupal site will turn into a shambles. Also it is relatively hard to
change the look and feel significantly. I prefer 'plone', but
unfortunately 'plone' has 'zope' as a prerequisite so it's a bit like
cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.

Cheers,

Cliff

Philip Roy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Max Barwell wrote:
> > Chris wrote:
> >
> >> Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
> >> providers - their services and prices ?
> >> I am in Auckland and am considering having a website for my home
> >> business, including taking out a *.co.nz domain name and equivilent
> >> E-mail address. For a small business what should I be looking to pay
> >> each month for a site with half a dozen pages with a company logo (the
> >> usual "home page", "about us", "contact us", "links", etc) ?
> >>
> >> If I pay someone to create a website for me do I get to own and
> >> control it, or do web designers retain ownership so you have to use
> >> them to make changes to the website. Once it's up and running I would
> >> like to be able manage it myself (I am very IT literate except for
> >> anything to do with web page preperation/hosting). How much would a
> >> basic web site design and hosting cost me?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
> >> design and hosting recommendations.
> >>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd get the designer to set you up with a CMS based website, once they
> > have done the basic design and layout, updating and management is a
> > cinch. Personally I lean towards Drupal www.drupal.org.
> >

> Drupal is OK, but it isn't intuitive to use and update. You'll need to
> give the end-users *detailed* instructions on how to update it otherwise
> the Drupal site will turn into a shambles. Also it is relatively hard to
> change the look and feel significantly. I prefer 'plone', but
> unfortunately 'plone' has 'zope' as a prerequisite so it's a bit like
> cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Joomla is the one for me (www.joomla.org)...spin off from Mambo.

Phil
--
NZMac.com - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
http://www.nzmac.com

Shane

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 11:44:23 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> Max Barwell wrote:
>> Chris wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any local NZ sites that assess the various web hosting
>>> providers - their services and prices ? I am in Auckland and am
>>> considering having a website for my home business, including taking out
>>> a *.co.nz domain name and equivilent E-mail address. For a small
>>> business what should I be looking to pay each month for a site with
>>> half a dozen pages with a company logo (the usual "home page", "about
>>> us", "contact us", "links", etc) ?
>>>
>>> If I pay someone to create a website for me do I get to own and
>>> control it, or do web designers retain ownership so you have to use
>>> them to make changes to the website. Once it's up and running I would
>>> like to be able manage it myself (I am very IT literate except for
>>> anything to do with web page preperation/hosting). How much would a
>>> basic web site design and hosting cost me?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice, including any specific Auckland web company
>>> design and hosting recommendations.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd get the designer to set you up with a CMS based website, once they
>> have done the basic design and layout, updating and management is a
>> cinch. Personally I lean towards Drupal www.drupal.org.
>>

> Drupal is OK, but it isn't intuitive to use and update. You'll need to
> give the end-users *detailed* instructions on how to update it otherwise
> the Drupal site will turn into a shambles. Also it is relatively hard to
> change the look and feel significantly. I prefer 'plone', but
> unfortunately 'plone' has 'zope' as a prerequisite so it's a bit like
> cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

I had a crack at installing plone yesterday on my Debian box.
#apt-get install plone

installed zope OK, but had the devils own to install plone into zope
(damned instructions I _knew_ I should have copied them to kwrite)
In the end I downloaded plone-2.1.1 tarball from sourceforge, and put the
contents of that tarball into Products directory of my instance
After 3 or 4 minutes playing with the site I discovered that plone wanted
port 80 to itself, or setup Apache with mod_proxy or mod_rewrite.
By that time I had had enough.
Ive also tried drupal (didnt like that *one* bit) and mambo (nice pictures
but never got round to putting my own content on it)
Ive also had a few attempts at making my own templates, but never liked
the design <sigh>

--
PURGE COMPLETE.

greatsmile@gmail.com