Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Open Office

Open Office

MarkH

-=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> MarkH wrote:
>
> "Secondly, why should somebody who publishes something for free bear
> the entire cost of shipping the data? I'm happy to contribute, too.
>
> Admittedly, in this case there is a good nz mirror, and the load on it
> isn't likely to be great, but that isn't always the case."
>
> I would think that it is just plain courtesy to use BT where a
> publisher makes both BT and ftp downloads available, as is the case
> with OpenOffice.org, where the links are practically next to each
> other.

Generally I assume that if there are two choices offered then either is
OK to use unless there is a stated request that one of the choices
should be used if at all possible. I don't see why my use of FTP would
be lacking in courtesy.

>> Feel free to find any post I made that suggests using FTP when a
>> publisher has asked that people use P2P wherever possible.

> I would, but I can't see the relevance or the context. I don't recall
> saying or implying that you made such a post.

After several posts you mentioned that a publisher that you download
from had made a request that people use the torrents whenever possible,
my point is that I would have happily agreed that BT was indeed the best
option following such a request.

> People generally complain when something isn't working as expected,
> and they are unlikely post to this ng and say "BT is going great for
> me at present!" so I tend to assume that for the majority of people,
> BT is going just fine.

And similarly I tend to assume that using FTP sites causes no problems
whatsoever to the publisher, since no site that I download from has ever
requested that people use the BT in preference to FTP.

> And once again, I'll point you to Mutley's post: "You are correct
> about BT. Downloaded it in 50 min's on Orcon's 256K
> plan. The FTP site gave nothing.."

Yes indeed, if the FTP site is giving you nothing then one option is to
try BT. However I have downloaded hundreds (possibly thousands) of
files from FTP sites without having a problems, so I believe Mutley's
problem was not a common one.

> I don't recall ever making such a statement. I am of the opinion,
> though, that because p2p doesn't require realtime traffic, it is one
> of the few protocols that ISPs can use to even out their traffic.

Surely the same can be said for FTP?

> Look, I originally posted a reminder to this thread, that OpenOffice
> is available by BT, and it seems to me that this has degenerated into
> a "you said", "I said" thread, so I'm done here. Okay?

No, you also posted that people NEED to support legal p2p downloads
whenever possible. I disagree that there is any such need and would
instead recommend that everyone just use whatever works best for them
(unless a publisher asks that people use one method in preference to
others). In the case of the subject of this thread the local mirror FTP
site worked very fast and I was able to download the file at over
200kBytes/sec.

If you dislike people disagreeing with you then maybe you should not
post your opinions to a public forum like this newsgroup?

From my point of view a bit of lively debate is a good thing and some of
the points you made have caused me to rethink some of my objections to
BT. I would definitely be happy to use BT more if my ISP was not
throttling it down to sluggish speeds, especially if I was having
problems with a slow FTP site. I guess I just don't see the using of
FTP as being such a problem 99% of the time.

Obviously for anyone that has flat-rate broadband with good upload speed
and no throttling of P2P traffic (which is not unusual in several
countries), then using BT is often a good option.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Mr Undeniably Sluttish

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:20:20 +0000, MarkH wrote:

> And similarly I tend to assume that using FTP sites causes no problems
> whatsoever to the publisher, since no site that I download from has ever
> requested that people use the BT in preference to FTP.

Who pays for the bandwidth?

Undeniably Sluttish

--
Free software on every PC on every desk.

MarkH

Mr Undeniably Sluttish <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed) :

> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:20:20 +0000, MarkH wrote:
>
>> And similarly I tend to assume that using FTP sites causes no problems
>> whatsoever to the publisher, since no site that I download from has ever
>> requested that people use the BT in preference to FTP.

> Who pays for the bandwidth?

How the hell would I know?

And

Why the hell would I care?

If the publisher making the files available had no way of paying and no one
would host the files for free then how would I find myself downloading them
from an FTP site? The fact that the files are available indicates that
there is no problem with making the files available. QED!

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade