Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Networking XP and Win98

Networking XP and Win98

the_riderNOSPAM@hotmailNOSPAM.com

I've got a small network with 3 XP machines and one Win98 box.

On the computers I've setup the IP addresses manually, and the subnet mask,
told the machines what the gateway address is. It was all good for the XP
machines. The Win98 machine just doesn't want to know ... at all.

I can't ping the other machines or the gateway, even though the link light
in on, on the NIC.

I can ping 127.0.0.1, which is expected. I've got to the point of not being
able to see the forest for the trees.

I've set up this sort of network before, but its the week before Xmas and
I'm running out of time for all my other work.

What have I missed? I've turned on Client for MS Networks, and File and
Print sharing and made one shared folder.

Any hints would be appreciated .... or someone to come fix it for me while I
do more interesting stuff.

Cheers
Rider

P.S. Yes yes ... I've Googled, and am Googling right now.

Dave Taylor

"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in news1Ppf.9206$(E-Mail Removed):

> Any hints would be appreciated .... or someone to come fix it for me
> while I do more interesting stuff.

Some tips here:
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/services/cr...et-trouble.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...server/reskit/
en-us/net/sur_tbls.mspx

Got a firewall on that 98 box, or a nasty LSP?
Google LSPfix.

--
Ciao, Dave

Rider

"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9732DA23FE2BBdaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in news1Ppf.9206$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Any hints would be appreciated .... or someone to come fix it for me
>> while I do more interesting stuff.
>>

> Some tips here:
> http://www.gi.alaska.edu/services/cr...et-trouble.htm
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...server/reskit/
> en-us/net/sur_tbls.mspx
>
> Got a firewall on that 98 box, or a nasty LSP?
> Google LSPfix.

Cheers Dave

The annoying part is I know this stuff. Worked on many systems just like ti
with no issues. Week before Xmas and too many hours working at night and my
brains gone dead.

I appreciate the help

Rider

John in Surrey

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:12:08 +1300,
wrote:

>I've got a small network with 3 XP machines and one Win98 box.
>
>On the computers I've setup the IP addresses manually, and the subnet mask,
>told the machines what the gateway address is. It was all good for the XP
>machines. The Win98 machine just doesn't want to know ... at all.

doesnt want to know what?

what do you get when you type ipconfig /all
can you ping other machines?

Images of home (NZ)
http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz/home
What we are up to in the UK
http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz

Peter Huebner

In article <1iPpf.9210$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Got a firewall on that 98 box, or a nasty LSP?
> > Google LSPfix.
> >

> Cheers Dave
>
> The annoying part is I know this stuff. Worked on many systems just like ti
> with no issues. Week before Xmas and too many hours working at night and my
> brains gone dead.
>
> I appreciate the help
>
> Rider

Well if you can't ping other than localhost then that suggests to me that
you're being locked out, by firewall or by XP.
There is a mechanism in XP (came in with either SP1 or SP2) that won't allow
other machines to connect if they have a default blank password. In '98 you
could log on to other machines so long as you were logged into the '98 machine
- with the default setup of the newer XPs you need to change an administrative
setting that allows other machines with blank password to connect.

I think I found the howto documented on www.wown.com (World Of Windows
Networking) - can't repeat the fix from the top of my head.

I've had netbios/browsermaster problems that I could only solve by installing
netbeui on the '98 and XP machines - but they were always ping-able to start
with, so that doesn't appear to apply.

-P.

Rider

"John in Surrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:12:08 +1300,
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I've got a small network with 3 XP machines and one Win98 box.
>>
>>On the computers I've setup the IP addresses manually, and the subnet
>>mask,
>>told the machines what the gateway address is. It was all good for the XP
>>machines. The Win98 machine just doesn't want to know ... at all.

> doesnt want to know what?
>
> what do you get when you type ipconfig /all
> can you ping other machines?

Can't ping anything other than itself. When its set for DHCP and I use
ping, I get 'destination host unreachable'. If I set the IP address manually
to match all the other computers, I get request time outs.

I've tried releasing and renewing via winipcfg ... that didn't seem to do
jack. I originally thought it might be because the guys login had no
password, so I created a new login with a password and I still get the same
results.

Rider

EMB

Rider wrote:

> Can't ping anything other than itself. When its set for DHCP and I use
> ping, I get 'destination host unreachable'. If I set the IP address manually
> to match all the other computers, I get request time outs.

Try another cable!

--
EMB

Rider

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:do9npr$ajd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rider wrote:
>>
>> Can't ping anything other than itself. When its set for DHCP and I use
>> ping, I get 'destination host unreachable'. If I set the IP address
>> manually to match all the other computers, I get request time outs.

> Try another cable!

I was thinking that as well ... but the bloody cable is brand new. Bought
it just before I started trying to set this machine up. But I will try
another cable as I'm kinda running out of ideas.

Rider

steve

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Any hints would be appreciated .... or someone to come fix it for me while
> I do more interesting stuff.

One possible solution is to set up a Linux PC with Samba (windows sharing)
and use it as the common link between XP and Win98.

I've had trouble getting the two Windows to work together nicely in the
past, too, but by using a Linux-based print / file server betwen them, I
was able to get past the ocassional problem.

No doubt there are other answers......but this one was easy and free.

steve

Rider wrote:

> "EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:do9npr$ajd$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Rider wrote:
>>>
>>> Can't ping anything other than itself. When its set for DHCP and I use
>>> ping, I get 'destination host unreachable'. If I set the IP address
>>> manually to match all the other computers, I get request time outs.

>> Try another cable!
>>

> I was thinking that as well ... but the bloody cable is brand new. Bought
> it just before I started trying to set this machine up. But I will try
> another cable as I'm kinda running out of ideas.
>
> Rider

Make sure there isn't a dead spider in the rj45 slot on the network card /
PC.

I've had to literally scrape a bug or two out of a network card to get clean
connects between the plug and socket.