Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Setup machine as wireless AP?

Setup machine as wireless AP?

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

Hi all,

Is it possible to configure a Windows machine (2k3, XP, Vista...) as a
Wireless Access Point with native software? Or can machines only operate as
clients?

Any help and links to information resources is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike.

Curious George

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:16:01 -0700, Mike
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Is it possible to configure a Windows machine (2k3, XP, Vista...) as a
>Wireless Access Point with native software? Or can machines only operate as
>clients?

Look up "Ad Hoc"
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/w...ocwireless.htm

AFAIK this is dependant on the WiFi card driver. Most can do this.

Jack

Hi
I assume you are talking about using a Wireless Client Card as an AP by
using special software.
Yes it is possible, however the software costs more than a physical Access
Point, and a Physical Access Point is performing much better. Further more,
a Wireless Cable/DSL used as an Access Point can be found for the same price
as a good Wireless Card. ( http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html )
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to configure a Windows machine (2k3, XP, Vista...) as a
> Wireless Access Point with native software? Or can machines only operate
> as
> clients?
>
> Any help and links to information resources is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike.

Taisuke Yamada

Possible, but depends on hardware you're using.
Following links might give you some ideas.

- http://www.governmentsecurity.org/archive/t12103.html
- http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hos...ry/001445.html

If your wireless chip supports "Master Mode", then it is
technically feasible. However, whether it's available or
not depends on existence of supporting software. It seems
at least Prism2 chip has supporting software on Windows.

I'd rather dual-boot into Linux as tweaking WiFi device is
much easier (and well standardized/supported) in this case...

--
Taisuke Yamada <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://rakugaki.org/
2268 E9A2 D4F9 014E F11D 1DF7 DCA3 83BC 78E5 CD3A

Message to my public address may not be handled in a timely manner.
For a direct contact, please use my private address on my namecard.