Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Are torrent sites being gagged?

Are torrent sites being gagged?

WiZArD

A few of us on different ISPz appear to being blocked when we try to
access torrent sites - ClearNet & Paradise, to name two.
Is anyone else having similar problemz?
TIA

EMB

WiZArD wrote:
> A few of us on different ISPz appear to being blocked when we try to
> access torrent sites - ClearNet & Paradise, to name two.
> Is anyone else having similar problemz?
> TIA

This has been done to death here of late. Have a decent look in google
groups.

--
EMB

-=rjh=-

EMB wrote:
> WiZArD wrote:
>
>> A few of us on different ISPz appear to being blocked when we try to
>> access torrent sites - ClearNet & Paradise, to name two.
>> Is anyone else having similar problemz?
>> TIA

> This has been done to death here of late. Have a decent look in google
> groups.

I don't think so.

The OP is talking about accessing torrent sites (or directories) *not*
referring to bandwidth/shaping issues related to downloading torrents
themselves.

To the OP, with Orcon, I haven't seen any such blocking of torrent
sites, although I don't use a wide range of these. Any in particular
sites you want others to check? It would be helpful if you were more
specific.

WiZArD

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:34:26 +1300, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>EMB wrote:
>> WiZArD wrote:
>>
>>> A few of us on different ISPz appear to being blocked when we try to
>>> access torrent sites - ClearNet & Paradise, to name two.
>>> Is anyone else having similar problemz?
>>> TIA

>> This has been done to death here of late. Have a decent look in google
>> groups.
>>

>I don't think so.
>
>The OP is talking about accessing torrent sites (or directories) *not*
>referring to bandwidth/shaping issues related to downloading torrents
>themselves.
>
>To the OP, with Orcon, I haven't seen any such blocking of torrent
>sites, although I don't use a wide range of these. Any in particular
>sites you want others to check? It would be helpful if you were more
>specific.

Shots of George Bush that will have you rolling on the floor with
laughter:

http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3419870

http://tracker.prq.to/announce
Connecting Tracker to say Start, waiting for response

I note that this site appears not to have been update since 12 DEC 05.
Could it have anyhing to do with this:

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2570D7007B5DF5

Theresa 's Christmas gift to NZ? TIA
WiZaRd

David

WiZArD wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:34:26 +1300, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>EMB wrote:

>>>This has been done to death here of late. Have a decent look in google
>>>groups.
>>>

>>I don't think so.
>>
>>The OP is talking about accessing torrent sites (or directories) *not*
>>referring to bandwidth/shaping issues related to downloading torrents
>>themselves.
>>
>>To the OP, with Orcon, I haven't seen any such blocking of torrent
>>sites, although I don't use a wide range of these. Any in particular
>>sites you want others to check? It would be helpful if you were more
>>specific.

> Shots of George Bush that will have you rolling on the floor with
> laughter:
>
> http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3419870
>
> http://tracker.prq.to/announce
> Connecting Tracker to say Start, waiting for response
>
> I note that this site appears not to have been update since 12 DEC 05.
> Could it have anyhing to do with this:
>
> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2570D7007B5DF5
>
> Theresa 's Christmas gift to NZ? TIA
> WiZaRd

That site is often overloaded, especially its announce. In fact my
client hardly ever manages to connect to it, but it only has to succeed
once to get a peerlist. Leave it going for a while, and use a client
with DHT, this way you dont need the tracker working to download it.

~misfit~

WiZArD wrote:
> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2570D7007B5DF5

"Seeby Woodhouse, managing director of Orcon which pioneered UBS resale in
New Zealand, says his ISP was hit by a "six-figure increase" which cannot be
passed onto customers. However, Woodhouse isn't concerned as he is confident
Telecom will ease the billing pain for Orcon."

Nah, that doesn't sound like a 'special arrangement' with Telecom. Not at
all, far from it in fact.
--
~misfit~

steve

WiZArD wrote:
> A few of us on different ISPz appear to being blocked when we try to
> access torrent sites - ClearNet & Paradise, to name two.
> Is anyone else having similar problemz?
> TIA

No problem on Orcon.

Downloaded some Linux ISOs via Bittorent very nicely.

-=rjh=-

~misfit~ wrote:
> WiZArD wrote:
>
>>http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...2570D7007B5DF5

> "Seeby Woodhouse, managing director of Orcon which pioneered UBS resale in
> New Zealand, says his ISP was hit by a "six-figure increase" which cannot be
> passed onto customers. However, Woodhouse isn't concerned as he is confident
> Telecom will ease the billing pain for Orcon."
>
> Nah, that doesn't sound like a 'special arrangement' with Telecom. Not at
> all, far from it in fact.

Oh, come on - be fair. You didn't quote the previous paragraph:

"Dyhrberg says the one-off bill change won't create a cashflow issue for
most ISPs. If any ISP experiences a problem, Dyhrberg says they will
work through the issue."

or a later paragraph:

"Herkt, who is also the Telecom Operational Support Working Group leader
for the Internet Service Provider Association of NZ (ISPANZ) industry
association, says he has received a fair amount of complaints from
members over the billing changes. He is encouraging ISPs to approach
Telecom for relief saying that Maxnet will also ask for leniency on
payment terms for the increase bills."

Also of interest, is what appears to be normal business practice in this
arena:

"some saying they were not notified of the bumper bills by their account
managers."

"billing changes were announced by Telecom during its broadband roadshow
"some months ago", Dyhrberg says"

"Telecom's Wholesale Informer newsbulletin also spoke of the billing
update in October and warned that ISPs could expect 1.2 to 1.4 times
large bills than normal. However, some providers say they didn't receive
a copy of it. Maxnet's managing director Brett Herkt says the provider
never got the Wholesale Informer"

"Telecom wrote the Wholesale Informer, Diprose says, but didn't send it
out to providers until after it had made the changes and the large bills
had gone out"

Frankly, I'm just amazed that something as important as changing the
billing cycle wasn't dealt with formally, on a one-to-one basis, with a
letter to each individual ISP. I mean - how many ISPs does NZ have? What
are Telecom's account managers actually paid to do? (Apart from hand out
iPods at Christmas).

Maybe the media reporting has deliberately missed out the fact that
Telecom sent a letter to each ISP, but given the other vague statements
attributed to Telecom, I doubt that is the case.

If this is indicative of how telecoms is run in NZ, no wonder it is such
a mess.

Even banks and power companies do better than this.

Kazonme

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 06:51:14 +1300, WiZArD <> wrote:

>A few of us on different ISPz appear to being blocked when we try to
>access torrent sites - ClearNet & Paradise, to name two.
>Is anyone else having similar problemz?
>TIA

Nz is the only country shaping P2P..?