Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > expensive freight charges

expensive freight charges

outofdate

Am looking at ordering 4 computer components with the biggest size item been
the motherboard and the 2 places I have checked on the net so far charge
freight at per item, how long as this practice been in place and how common
is it. I think it might just be a case of retailers trying to appear cheaper
than another and then making up the for the smaller profits in freight
charges. OC Zone want to charge $10.99+gst for the first item and $9.99+gst
for each additional item, what a ripoff, this is the sort of practice that
makes pricespy fairly ineffective. I knew businesses were charging more
generally for freight than they use to but this is ridiculous, it's suppose
to be the freight business that makes the profit from freight delivery, not
the business using it.

Fred Dagg

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:27:18 +1300, "outofdate" <outofdate@computer>
exclaimed:

>Am looking at ordering 4 computer components with the biggest size item been
>the motherboard and the 2 places I have checked on the net so far charge
>freight at per item, how long as this practice been in place and how common
>is it. I think it might just be a case of retailers trying to appear cheaper
>than another and then making up the for the smaller profits in freight
>charges. OC Zone want to charge $10.99+gst for the first item and $9.99+gst
>for each additional item, what a ripoff, this is the sort of practice that
>makes pricespy fairly ineffective. I knew businesses were charging more
>generally for freight than they use to but this is ridiculous, it's suppose
>to be the freight business that makes the profit from freight delivery, not
>the business using it.

Yep, welcome to the world of pricespy.

Everyone buying on price means that service and quality goes out the
window, and places start hiding the true cost. I got sick of freight
charges, credit card charges, 2-week delivery timeframes, items all
arriving directly from distributor's warehouses, all at different
times, etc.

Now I buy from a place with no additional charges whatsoever (at
least, for orders under $100, then $6 an *order*), ships promptly,
actually carries stuff in stock (rather than operating out of their
bedroom) and even has an 0800 number that gets answered straight away
when I do need to ring them.

Costs me slightly more than buying at the "cheapo" places up north,
but at least they'll be around next year to honour the warranty, not
like half of the asian outfits that just point you in the direction of
the distributor for warranty work, who generally don't want to know.

steve

outofdate wrote:

> I think it might just be a case of retailers trying to
> appear cheaper than another and then making up the for the smaller profits
> in freight charges.

You got it.

It was this way 12 years ago when I used to mail-order stuff out of the
then-massive "Computer Shopper".

DHL and UPS and FEDEX are fine.....if you don't ming paying US$40-US$50 to
transport an NZ$200 item to your house in 2-3 days.

I went for vendors who would ship US Mail....US$10....and take up to 2
weeks.

MUCH cheaper...and fewer hassles with Customs.

Noe most vendors wouldn't do it.....but once you factored in the difference
in shipping costs, the price difference was almost always irrelevant.

outofdate

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> outofdate wrote:
>
> > I think it might just be a case of retailers trying to
> > appear cheaper than another and then making up the for the smaller

profits
> > in freight charges.

> You got it.
>
> It was this way 12 years ago when I used to mail-order stuff out of the
> then-massive "Computer Shopper".
>
> DHL and UPS and FEDEX are fine.....if you don't ming paying US$40-US$50 to
> transport an NZ$200 item to your house in 2-3 days.
>
> I went for vendors who would ship US Mail....US$10....and take up to 2
> weeks.
>
> MUCH cheaper...and fewer hassles with Customs.
>

> Noe most vendors wouldn't do it.....but once you factored in the

difference
> in shipping costs, the price difference was almost always irrelevant.

I'm talking about buying local from places that have stock at hand.

outofdate

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:27:18 +1300, "outofdate" <outofdate@computer>
> exclaimed:
>
> >Am looking at ordering 4 computer components with the biggest size item

been
> >the motherboard and the 2 places I have checked on the net so far charge
> >freight at per item, how long as this practice been in place and how

common
> >is it. I think it might just be a case of retailers trying to appear

cheaper
> >than another and then making up the for the smaller profits in freight
> >charges. OC Zone want to charge $10.99+gst for the first item and

$9.99+gst
> >for each additional item, what a ripoff, this is the sort of practice

that
> >makes pricespy fairly ineffective. I knew businesses were charging more
> >generally for freight than they use to but this is ridiculous, it's

suppose
> >to be the freight business that makes the profit from freight delivery,

not
> >the business using it.
> >

> Yep, welcome to the world of pricespy.
>
> Everyone buying on price means that service and quality goes out the
> window, and places start hiding the true cost. I got sick of freight
> charges, credit card charges, 2-week delivery timeframes, items all
> arriving directly from distributor's warehouses, all at different
> times, etc.
>
> Now I buy from a place with no additional charges whatsoever (at
> least, for orders under $100, then $6 an *order*), ships promptly,
> actually carries stuff in stock (rather than operating out of their
> bedroom) and even has an 0800 number that gets answered straight away
> when I do need to ring them.
>
> Costs me slightly more than buying at the "cheapo" places up north,
> but at least they'll be around next year to honour the warranty, not
> like half of the asian outfits that just point you in the direction of
> the distributor for warranty work, who generally don't want to know.

Agree with all that.

The Other Guy

outofdate wrote:
> Am looking at ordering 4 computer components with the biggest size item been
> the motherboard and the 2 places I have checked on the net so far charge
> freight at per item, how long as this practice been in place and how common
> is it. I think it might just be a case of retailers trying to appear cheaper
> than another and then making up the for the smaller profits in freight
> charges. OC Zone want to charge $10.99+gst for the first item and $9.99+gst
> for each additional item, what a ripoff, this is the sort of practice that
> makes pricespy fairly ineffective. I knew businesses were charging more
> generally for freight than they use to but this is ridiculous, it's suppose
> to be the freight business that makes the profit from freight delivery, not
> the business using it.

I am in no way associated with either, but if you want a good mix
between price and support, I can recommend both Aquilatech and PC Wise.

Both Mike (Aquilatech) and Keven (PCWise) have provided excellent
service and been willing to handle issues with their suppliers.

My personal preference is to deal with PB Technologies in Penrose,
particularly when purchasing products where problems are likely, or not
worth having shipped. They won't always match the price of online
stores, particularly since the prices on Pricespy aren't always the true
cost, or even available, but they do come close, and the item is usually
there for you to take with you.

The Other Guy

outofdate

"The Other Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> outofdate wrote:
> > Am looking at ordering 4 computer components with the biggest size item

been
> > the motherboard and the 2 places I have checked on the net so far charge
> > freight at per item, how long as this practice been in place and how

common
> > is it. I think it might just be a case of retailers trying to appear

cheaper
> > than another and then making up the for the smaller profits in freight
> > charges. OC Zone want to charge $10.99+gst for the first item and

$9.99+gst
> > for each additional item, what a ripoff, this is the sort of practice

that
> > makes pricespy fairly ineffective. I knew businesses were charging more
> > generally for freight than they use to but this is ridiculous, it's

suppose
> > to be the freight business that makes the profit from freight delivery,

not
> > the business using it.

> I am in no way associated with either, but if you want a good mix
> between price and support, I can recommend both Aquilatech and PC Wise.
>
> Both Mike (Aquilatech) and Keven (PCWise) have provided excellent
> service and been willing to handle issues with their suppliers.
>
> My personal preference is to deal with PB Technologies in Penrose,
> particularly when purchasing products where problems are likely, or not
> worth having shipped. They won't always match the price of online
> stores, particularly since the prices on Pricespy aren't always the true
> cost, or even available, but they do come close, and the item is usually
> there for you to take with you.
>
> The Other Guy

Thanks, if I lived near Penrose I would definitely check them out. I
normally buy from ascent technology as there are no hidden costs and service
and support are excellent, freight is included in the cost of the item so no
hassles there. This time around though I am on a very tight budget, I'm
trying to fit a square peg in a round hole really as the normal cost of the
items lies outside of my budget. It's definitely not worth it to deal with
the fly by nighters operations, i will take a look at the other retailers
you mention, maybe I can find a good compromise like you say, otherwise i
will just have to flag it for now.

steve

outofdate wrote:

> I'm talking about buying local from places that have stock at hand.

Then you should havew said so.

But it's an old trick.....so I wouldn't expect local vendors to be any
different.

~misfit~

steve wrote:
> outofdate wrote:
>
>> I'm talking about buying local from places that have stock at hand.

> Then you should havew said so.
>
> But it's an old trick.....so I wouldn't expect local vendors to be any
> different.

I pretty much always buy from one of either OEM, E-One (both Manukau) or QMB
(Royal Oak and Mt Roskill) in person. The websites concerned all state
availablility and I call ahead. Only been caught out once with QMB when they
said on the phone that they had stock but when I got there, 3 hours later
(on a Saturday), they'd sold out. It *was* a promotion though, a very cheap
deal.

I've adaopted this way of buying ever since I had dramas with Tuaranga
Computers, advertising stock they didn't have, I paid by bank transfer, they
couldn't supply, and their suppliers couldn't supply, the item (as it was
discontinued) then they tried to up-sell and when I asked for a refund I was
told that it had to be by cheque (2 days in the mail, then a week to clear).
As it had already been a week since I ordered I was stymied. The build was
for someone else and I'd told them it would be ready in a week,
stress-tested and ready to go. (Going by previous experience, albeit not
with Tuaranga Computers). I ended up having to use the pittance that I was
getting for assembling and warranteeing the PC to pay for the upgrade to the
next graphics card.

I checked their site a week later and they still had the item listed as
available, with the site claiming to be updated daily. The item was also
listed on Pricespy. I contacted the guy on Pricespy and told him the story.
A week later he emailed me back and said TC had told him it was only
temporarilly out of stock (Bullshit as it was discontinued and nobody else
in the country could get one, hence dealing with TC in the first place).

The upshot was, TC *and* Pricespy continued to list it for several months
after that. Maybe longer as I gave up looking. I no longer go to Pricespy's
page.

The drama with TC actually was a lot worse than described above. when I
agreed to an upgrade and credited them more money they ended up sending me
the wrong card (lesser specced) and it had obviously been opened (returned?)
with accessories missing from the box. When I made my umpteenth toll-call to
them they initially insisted that they wouldn't send out a replacement until
they'd got the POS back that they'd sent me. In the end, after threatening
with CGA etc we both couriered on the same day. The kicker? I had to pay yet
more to go up another model as now they didn't have another of my first
'upgrade' available. I lost money building that PC for a friend. He covered
the extra cost, above and beyond my small "profit" that was actually
pre-payment for OS reinstalls etc. (that I inevitably have to do, and have
done on that machine). However, I was still stuck with a toll bill and
courier fees.

Needless to say, there will be an ice-skating competition in hell long
before I ever buy from TC again.
--
~misfit~

Shane

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:30:24 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Needless to say, there will be an ice-skating competition in hell long
> before I ever buy from TC again.

Ive been into their store twice asking after parts on their site, only to
be told prices were for 'web sales only' or they were out of stock
Generally TC has a bad reputation amongst the locals, and have only
existed this long as they are cheap

/me should have complained to pricespy as well

--
In Blythe, California, a city ordinance declares that a person must own
at least two cows before he can wear cowboy boots in public.