Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Starcraft vs Skype ?

Starcraft vs Skype ?

XPD

Recently reinstalled XP Pro with all patches etc and thought Id get back
onto Skype for calling friends etc... thats all fine, however today I
decided to install Starcraft (with Brood Wars) and found it ran like a
dog.... even the installation process took forever. I sat here for a while
scratching my head wondering why its running so slow... then decided to
start killing processes...soon as I killed Skype, Starcraft came right.
Anyone else come across this ?

David

XPD wrote:
> Recently reinstalled XP Pro with all patches etc and thought Id get back
> onto Skype for calling friends etc... thats all fine, however today I
> decided to install Starcraft (with Brood Wars) and found it ran like a
> dog.... even the installation process took forever. I sat here for a while
> scratching my head wondering why its running so slow... then decided to
> start killing processes...soon as I killed Skype, Starcraft came right.
> Anyone else come across this ?

I've notice that skype's memory use and general resource hogging has
become greater with each version, and becomes greater the longer it runs
(especially if you make a lot of calls). The only solution I know of is
to restart Skype. It also pays to only run it when you are using it (use
MSN or something to stay in touch with the people you want to call) and
only run it when you are using it, as it uses a significant amount of
bandwidth (I've read reports that it can max out 100mbit connections,
its p2p nature means that if you are connectable you will be forwarding
other people's communications).

A nice alternative is picophone, its tiny and uses the GSM codec. At the
high quality setting it sounds very nice with unnoticable latency.

James T

news:VlSnf.8057$(E-Mail Removed)...
> XPD wrote:
>> Recently reinstalled XP Pro with all patches etc and thought Id get back
>> onto Skype for calling friends etc... thats all fine, however today I
>> decided to install Starcraft (with Brood Wars) and found it ran like a
>> dog.... even the installation process took forever. I sat here for a
>> while scratching my head wondering why its running so slow... then
>> decided to start killing processes...soon as I killed Skype, Starcraft
>> came right.
>> Anyone else come across this ?
>>

> I've notice that skype's memory use and general resource hogging has
> become greater with each version, and becomes greater the longer it runs
> (especially if you make a lot of calls). The only solution I know of is to
> restart Skype. It also pays to only run it when you are using it (use MSN
> or something to stay in touch with the people you want to call) and only
> run it when you are using it, as it uses a significant amount of bandwidth
> (I've read reports that it can max out 100mbit connections, its p2p nature
> means that if you are connectable you will be forwarding other people's
> communications).
>
> A nice alternative is picophone, its tiny and uses the GSM codec. At the
> high quality setting it sounds very nice with unnoticable latency.

If you look under "Tools" "Options" "Connection" in Skype, you have the
option to untick the instruction "Use Port 80 and 443 as alternatives for
incoming connections". I think doing this may reduce "general resource
hogging" but perhaps someone can confirm this? What does Skype do if it uses
Port 80 and 443?

Dave Taylor

"James T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:43a06d79$(E-Mail Removed):

> What does Skype do if it uses
> Port 80 and 443?

Some firewalls have those as the only open ports, so people can browse the
web with a web browser... HTTP=80, HTTPS=443. They would not be very good
firewalls, but it is a way for skype to a connection when other
applications wouldn't.

--
Ciao, Dave

Richard

Dave Taylor wrote:

> Some firewalls have those as the only open ports, so people can browse the
> web with a web browser... HTTP=80, HTTPS=443. They would not be very good
> firewalls, but it is a way for skype to a connection when other
> applications wouldn't.

they do that at tech, also pop3 and imap and only the control port for ftp so
thats useless too.

no secure imap or pop3, no smtp, makes it largely useless for me. I have to save
my sent emails into the drafts folder in outlook, drag it to the inbox on the
imap and then go into my webmail to send it... bloody fiasco