Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Atrac 3 MP3

Atrac 3 MP3

NZed

I found out the MP3 format ...or should I say its a format from Sony.
I believe the Atrac3 format s into smaller file sizes. Is this correct but
what about the quality ? Loss of quality ?
Someone was recomending I use Atrac3 instead of MP3.

Experiences ?

NZed

Gordon

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:57:53 +1300, NZed wrote:

> I found out the MP3 format ...or should I say its a format from Sony.
> I believe the Atrac3 format s into smaller file sizes. Is this correct but
> what about the quality ? Loss of quality ?
> Someone was recomending I use Atrac3 instead of MP3.

MP3 was first off the rank, and as such it a) worked ok and b) got the
marketing lead.

However, there are other ways of compressing audio, and these have been
found.

Let your ears be the test.

David

NZed wrote:
> I found out the MP3 format ...or should I say its a format from Sony.
> I believe the Atrac3 format s into smaller file sizes. Is this correct but
> what about the quality ? Loss of quality ?
> Someone was recomending I use Atrac3 instead of MP3.
>
> Experiences ?
>
> NZed

There are many alternatives to MP3. Atrac3 is one of many, and most
certainly not the best, although it is really a matter of opinion. A
well encoded, high bitrate MP3 sounds as good as anything out there,
IMHO. Have a look at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/

GraB

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:57:53 +1300, "NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I found out the MP3 format ...or should I say its a format from Sony.
>I believe the Atrac3 format s into smaller file sizes. Is this correct but
>what about the quality ? Loss of quality ?
>Someone was recomending I use Atrac3 instead of MP3.
>
>Experiences ?
>
>NZed

It is a pretty obscure codec. Many people won't have heard of it.
Not that great either.
http://www.infoanarchy.org/wiki/index.php/ATRAC3

Consider OGG. A file half the size of an MP3 will have the same
quality.

nil_einne1@email.com

Or AAC, if you don't care about the fact it's a patended codec. Most
independent listening tests suggest either OGG or AAC are the best for
low bitrates although afaik, most test also suggest neither can match
MP3 of a good bitrate even at the same bitrate

I personally wouldn't consider a proprierty pos like Altrac3, ever.