Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Will this motherboard/cpu be faster than my old one?

Will this motherboard/cpu be faster than my old one?

~misfit~

shannon wrote:
> Bret wrote:

>>> woosh

>> That's pathetic.

> Not directed at you

Heh! That's what I thought.
--
~misfit~

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:37:20 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
> wrote:
>
> >Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
> >sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it absolutely
> >clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
> >All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
> >asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
> >current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
> >specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
> >this will be stable and reliable.
> >
> >I am quite aware that this will be a dog slow setup compared to what you can
> >currently buy and i know a lot of people would not consider this setup for
> >many reasons, all of which I can assure you I have considered so I would
> >really appreciate it if I only got answers to my exact question and not a
> >whole lot of opinions about something I have not asked for, I am only after
> >the experience and expertise of others on this hardware, I am not interested
> >in philosophies on what I should buy, I can do that on my own thanks.
> >
> >Help on this stuff that I obviously don't know myself would be greatly
> >appreciated.
> >
> >Here's hoping.
> >

> I went from a TMC TI5VG+ with K6-2/550MHz to AsRock K7VT2 (266MHz FSB)
> with Duron 1100MHz, which benchmarked 3x faster though it was only
> double the clockspeed.

Well. The K6/2 memory bus would have been 66 or 100 MHz, the Duron at
266 MHz makes a big difference.

Like, a Celeron 700 with 66MHz and 10.5* multiplier is a real slow dog,
comparable to that K6. Cpu speed is not the sole determinant, memory bus
speed is really important.

GraB

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:18:59 +1300, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:37:20 +1300, "graviton" <graviton@gravity>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Ok, I am asking for help again on this topic because my last attempt got
>> >sidetracked as I feared it would, so I will try harder to make it absolutely
>> >clear what my question is about and what it is not about.
>> >All I want to know is if a cheapass via chipset motherboard such as an
>> >asrock K7VM3 with a sempron 2600+ cpu will be many times faster than my
>> >current intel bx chipset motherboard with p3 550 MHz slot 1 cpu,
>> >specifically when rendering video and also if a cheapass motherboard like
>> >this will be stable and reliable.
>> >
>> >I am quite aware that this will be a dog slow setup compared to what you can
>> >currently buy and i know a lot of people would not consider this setup for
>> >many reasons, all of which I can assure you I have considered so I would
>> >really appreciate it if I only got answers to my exact question and not a
>> >whole lot of opinions about something I have not asked for, I am only after
>> >the experience and expertise of others on this hardware, I am not interested
>> >in philosophies on what I should buy, I can do that on my own thanks.
>> >
>> >Help on this stuff that I obviously don't know myself would be greatly
>> >appreciated.
>> >
>> >Here's hoping.
>> >

>> I went from a TMC TI5VG+ with K6-2/550MHz to AsRock K7VT2 (266MHz FSB)
>> with Duron 1100MHz, which benchmarked 3x faster though it was only
>> double the clockspeed.

>Well. The K6/2 memory bus would have been 66 or 100 MHz, the Duron at
>266 MHz makes a big difference.
>
>Like, a Celeron 700 with 66MHz and 10.5* multiplier is a real slow dog,
>comparable to that K6. Cpu speed is not the sole determinant, memory bus
>speed is really important.

Duron memory 200MHz.

~misfit~

GraB wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:18:59 +1300, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> I went from a TMC TI5VG+ with K6-2/550MHz to AsRock K7VT2 (266MHz
>>> FSB) with Duron 1100MHz, which benchmarked 3x faster though it was
>>> only double the clockspeed.

>> Well. The K6/2 memory bus would have been 66 or 100 MHz, the Duron at
>> 266 MHz makes a big difference.
>>
>> Like, a Celeron 700 with 66MHz and 10.5* multiplier is a real slow
>> dog, comparable to that K6. Cpu speed is not the sole determinant,
>> memory bus speed is really important.

> Duron memory 200MHz.

Asynchronous bus maybe?

200? Did they use DDR then? I would have thought it was plain old SD.
--
~misfit~

GraB

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:40:56 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GraB wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:18:59 +1300, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> Well. The K6/2 memory bus would have been 66 or 100 MHz, the Duron at
>>> 266 MHz makes a big difference.
>>>
>>> Like, a Celeron 700 with 66MHz and 10.5* multiplier is a real slow
>>> dog, comparable to that K6. Cpu speed is not the sole determinant,
>>> memory bus speed is really important.

>> Duron memory 200MHz.

>Asynchronous bus maybe?
>
>200? Did they use DDR then? I would have thought it was plain old SD.

There were a range of Durons from 600MHz to 1800MHz in three different
cores, Spitfire, Morgan and Applebred. Only the Applebred had the
266MHz bus. My old Duron 1100 was 100MHz (200MHz DDR).

~misfit~

GraB wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:40:56 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> GraB wrote:
>>> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:18:59 +1300, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrote:
>>> Duron memory 200MHz.

>> Asynchronous bus maybe?
>>
>> 200? Did they use DDR then? I would have thought it was plain old SD.

> There were a range of Durons from 600MHz to 1800MHz in three different
> cores, Spitfire, Morgan and Applebred.

Yep.

> Only the Applebred had the
> 266MHz bus.

Yep, nearly got my hands on one of those but it didn't happen in the end.
Only 64K of L2 but the early ones were not only multiplier unlocked but
people were getting a high success rate at unlocking the other (disabled)
192K of L2. Not unheard of to run at 2GHz with 256 L2 stably and fairly
cooly.

> My old Duron 1100 was 100MHz (200MHz DDR).

Ok, thanks. My only personal experience with AMDs is a 486 DX2 80, a couple
~200-350MHz socket 7 CPUs and then several Athlon XPs (32 bit) from Palomimo
through to Barton. I've never had a Duron. (Although I've read articles on
CPUs that include the various Durons of course. It tends to be personal
experience that sticks in the mind though).

Best value I ever had was an XP 1800+ T'bred B. The first board I had it in
wouldn't allow multiplier changes even though the CPU is unlocked so I cut
some bridges and the BIOS saw it as a 2200+ (It's back in that board now,
acting as my second PC, still running as a 2200+). Then, before I got myself
a Barton, I put it in an nForce2 Ultra 400 board and ran it at 200MHz
(400DDR) x 10.5 for 2.1GHz with standard cooling. (CPU diode monitored,
never went over mid 50s)
--
~misfit~

GraB

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:21:27 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GraB wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:40:56 +1300, "~misfit~"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Asynchronous bus maybe?
>>>
>>> 200? Did they use DDR then? I would have thought it was plain old SD.

>> There were a range of Durons from 600MHz to 1800MHz in three different
>> cores, Spitfire, Morgan and Applebred.

>Yep.
>
>> Only the Applebred had the
>> 266MHz bus.

>Yep, nearly got my hands on one of those but it didn't happen in the end.
>Only 64K of L2 but the early ones were not only multiplier unlocked but
>people were getting a high success rate at unlocking the other (disabled)
>192K of L2. Not unheard of to run at 2GHz with 256 L2 stably and fairly
>cooly.
>
>> My old Duron 1100 was 100MHz (200MHz DDR).

>Ok, thanks. My only personal experience with AMDs is a 486 DX2 80, a couple
>~200-350MHz socket 7 CPUs and then several Athlon XPs (32 bit) from Palomimo
>through to Barton. I've never had a Duron. (Although I've read articles on
>CPUs that include the various Durons of course. It tends to be personal
>experience that sticks in the mind though).
>
>Best value I ever had was an XP 1800+ T'bred B. The first board I had it in
>wouldn't allow multiplier changes even though the CPU is unlocked so I cut
>some bridges and the BIOS saw it as a 2200+ (It's back in that board now,
>acting as my second PC, still running as a 2200+). Then, before I got myself
>a Barton, I put it in an nForce2 Ultra 400 board and ran it at 200MHz
>(400DDR) x 10.5 for 2.1GHz with standard cooling. (CPU diode monitored,
>never went over mid 50s)

I had the DX2 80 too. Good chip in its day. The Durons had 128Kb L1
cache, which was a lot, making up for the less important L2. They
were not far behind the Athlon in performance. The 266MHz versions
would have been pretty quick on most things that didn't benefit from
the large cache.